1. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    ARGH. While I absolutely LOVE the OS and really like the phone, owning a palm Pre has been a bloody nightmare. Since day one i've had nothing but trouble with incoming calls going straight to voicemail and constant inability to dial out! on Saturday I tried NINETEEN times to make a call without success. Good job it wasn't an emergency! Add to that the phone often just loses signal and goes 'SOS only' for no reason and i'm sick to the back teeth of the phone.

Now I've just had another rant at the incompetent fools at O2 (who refused to help and tried to tell me it was a cell-tower issue in the area until I explained i've had the problem all over the UK for a couple of months!!!) and have to go through ANOTHER replacement process which means a couple of weeks back on Windows Mobile 6.5 via my old phone while they pretend to repair it.

Since October, having bought on launch day, I've had 3 SIM cards, two new replacement phones and 2 phone repairs. This simply isn't good enough and its no wonder Palm can't get any traction in the UK. Despite loving webos and firmly believing it head and shoulders above any other mobile OS on the planet, I'd *never* recommend a pre or a pixi becuase that would mean enduring O2, their over-charging, under-performing, terrible-service shambles of a network and Palms obvious inability to nail these hardware problems.

Sorry about that - rant over
    The drop calls sounds like a network problem more than a hardware or software problem. I used to get it with an old samsung I had on o2. Did they deactivate and reactivate your account to see if that helped?
    Also if the account wasn't the problem did you try doctoring the pre?

I have heard o2 repair jobs are shabby at best. They often repair one part and manage to break 2 other parts for you.
    the not being able to make a call sounds like a issue other then yr hardware. But what the hell do I know. I love this phone,,had same one for 9 months now with out one issue.
  4. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Yep, I'm sure its an O2 issue but they are insistant that its the phone. Which is odd given how many phones, repairs and SIM cards I've tested to date.
    I wonder at what point their lack of service and clear inability to honour my PHONE contracts becomes cause for cancellation?

As much as I love this phone and webos, if I could get off O2, i'd skip back to another network in a heartbeat.
    Well you could always unlock your phone and use a different network.

I'm on a palm pre on vodafone uk. Never been on O2 in my life. seems to work well so far. Had the phone around 3 weeks.
  6. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    But then I'd be paying 35 a month to O2 for the next 18 months AND money on another network....
    It's O2. My girlfriend and I are on O2, she has the Pixi Plus and I have the Pre. Over the past three weeks we've been getting SOS Only. To resolve it you can enable then disable aeroplane mode, not ideal but an interim fix whilst O2 address the problem that is, without doubt, their end.
  8. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leonkehoe View Post
    It's O2. My girlfriend and I are on O2, she has the Pixi Plus and I have the Pre. Over the past three weeks we've been getting SOS Only. To resolve it you can enable then disable aeroplane mode, not ideal but an interim fix whilst O2 address the problem that is, without doubt, their end.
    Yep, I'm sure it is. I've had nothing but problems since I moved to them. They tried to blame them problems on 'intermittent transmitter problems in your area' until I told them I'd experienced issues all over the UK! They're so damn ignorant that their network is rubbish.
    I've done the aeroplane mode many times and that does seem to provide a temporary fix for not being able to make outbound calls, but doesn't help with inbound calls often going stright to voicemail.
    What a shambles
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I've found that the SIM can make a big difference. I had a Pre with an oldish O2 SIM and kept getting the SOS problem and rarely picked up 3G. I had to change contracts and got a new SIM as a result. Since then, I've had the SOS problem once (and I think it was the building I was in) and 3G reception is solid.

I don't know enough about mobile telecoms to say whether it's purely the SIM or the SIM merely reflects account settings but it worked for me.

Andrew
    Does anyone know how to install themes on a UK pre?
    When you have to choose your carrier, there is no option for o2?
    Hi Milligan,

Please don't hijack a thread with an off-topic question. Your best place for questions about themes is to post in our Themes forum. Thanks
    I have the same problem on O2. I used a Vodafone sim card in my pre for a few months and that worked perfectly.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tenkian View Post
    Well you could always unlock your phone and use a different network.

I'm on a palm pre on vodafone uk. Never been on O2 in my life. seems to work well so far. Had the phone around 3 weeks.
    I'm considering getting a Pre Plus but I don't want to go with O2. I could buy it outright from Germany or something and go get a Vodafone SIM for it. Anyone know what happens with updates in that case? I'm guessing you have to get OS updates through your carrier, so I wouldn't get them if I did this?

tenkian, may I ask how you unlocked your phone and where you got it from originally?

BTW I'm with O2 now with a different device and have all these problems as well, OP I don't think it's your phone.