Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    I just read that AT&T is changing there Data Plan to not include unlimited.

No this is not about AT&T or the plans, this is about going backwards.

I thought technology is suppose to move us forward, not backwards. With this change I feel we are not going forward.

Whats happening, why are we going in the wrong direction?
    is it only for new customers, or did they change your existing plan?
    Also, remember that their network is clogged with a disproportionate amount of iPhone traffic, so this will have a much larger impact on iPhone users. It is the most inefficient use of bandwidth and has the most bandwidth hogging apps. Video chat like Knock-Knock, etc. And if they all ever run skype? Holy cow.

More than 60% of the traffic on AT&T's network is from the iPhone, and the iPhone is no where near 60% of their user base.

No wonder VZ doesn't want the iPhone...
    That doesn't matter if they change people's plans or not. This is the Carriers seeing a golden opportunity as data becomes a bigger and bigger aspect of people's phone usage and killing off the reason why people are using so much data in the first place. I don't want to be freaking out at the end of every month on how much data I have left. That's utter bull. I checked my plan on sprint. Last month I used 1.8 gigs of data. I almost passed their little benchmark. If Sprint and the other carriers follow suit like they have so many times with upping text prices, the joyous unlimited calling plans and the like we as customers will be kissing bye bye for unlimited data very soon.

The worst part is that it never was unlimited but 5 gigs of usage. I already was making sure not to use the phone to tether my laptop or other shenanigans for fear that they would overcharge me for tethering or something. Now if it's over 2 gigs instead of 5 I just won't use my phone the way I use it today. This is bad news.

Imagine, flash (hahah it's never coming out) comes out for our phones and we burn though data like crazy watching abc and god knows what else, and then the 4g plans start and there's more caps to the data. This just feels wrong.
    AT&T is currently the only one capping their plans. They can't change current contracts, and it doesn't go into effect until June 7, so if you're really concerned about it, and don't want to miss out on a few more good years of the incredible service currently provided by AT&T, you could always head over to a local store and renew your contract for 2 more years... I'm sure you could find some sales rep who would happily take your money.

On the flip side, Sprint, who is hurting for market share, has plenty of network capacity, and therefore has no reason to restrict their data plans. Offering unlimited data while AT&T ostracizes their customers through more restrictions seems like a good business plan to me.
    I guess I'm one of the Sprint customers that love our prices and don't understand why everyone isn't with us. But, I do wish I had double the RAM...
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    VZ caps it for MHS, but doesn't cap traffic to the phone - and doesn't count it toward the MHS cap.

Also, keep in mind that with things like FreeTether and MyTether, they have no way to differentiate phone traffic from tethered traffic. I believe that's a major reason why VZ decided to stop charging for MHS - it's the only way they can tell phone and tethering traffic apart.

I'm not saying I like this move, I'm just saying that tethering, skype, and other data-intensive stuff is killing their network. They still haven't recovered from their surprise at how much the iPhone overwhelmed their network. They have to buy themselves some breathing room to build up their backbone, because it will get even worse when they start rolling out LTE in about 18 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by rgisraelsen View Post
    AT&T is currently the only one capping their plans. They can't change current contracts, and it doesn't go into effect until June 7, so if you're really concerned about it, and don't want to miss out on a few more good years of the incredible service currently provided by AT&T, you could always head over to a local store and renew your contract for 2 more years... I'm sure you could find some sales rep who would happily take your money.
    This is actually a good point. However, I thought I saw a few postings recently that AT&T wasn't allowing people to renew early. I guess this would explain why...

It would be great if an AT&T user who is within a few months of their upgrade date could try to upgrade early and post it here...

Of course, all those that just bought their Pre+ from AT&T don't have to worry for almost 2 years.

Also, does anyone know how this effects users that aren't on a contract? Hmmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I guess I'm one of the Sprint customers that love our prices and don't understand why everyone isn't with us. But, I do wish I had double the RAM...
    I agee with this...

I also have an iphone and just checked my usage for the last 6 months. My biggest month was 700 mb... actually the new plan will help most (98% according to their numbers) by reducing the monthly cost by at least $5 maybe more if you can get by on just 200 mb per month.

I think its a good move but what I don't get is that if 98% of users are using less than 2gb per month, how does this help speed up the network or not clog the network? Sounds like most people will still be within their normal usage range.
    Quote Originally Posted by dz1262 View Post
    Imagine, flash (hahah it's never coming out) comes out for our phones and we burn though data like crazy watching abc and god knows what else, and then the 4g plans start and there's more caps to the data...
    Actually, if I'm not mistaken, I thought I saw something on Sprint's website about 4g data plans being TRULY unlimited? I'll have to check just to be sure of what I read...

Lol, about that flash statement...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman1113 View Post
    I agee with this...

I also have an iphone and just checked my usage for the last 6 months. My biggest month was 700 mb... actually the new plan will help most (98% according to their numbers) by reducing the monthly cost by at least $5 maybe more if you can get by on just 200 mb per month.

I think its a good move but what I don't get is that if 98% of users are using less than 2gb per month, how does this help speed up the network or not clog the network? Sounds like most people will still be within their normal usage range.
    It helps those that run bit torrent, free tethering pay. But the important thing is the psychological effect it has because users will actually reduce usage because they are worried about it... Same thing happened when Comcast tried it.
    I had sprint for years (disclaimer I am not related in any way shape or form to Sprint) For the life in me I do not understand why everyone is not in SPrint. The 99 dollars unlimited plan includes everything data, text, call, EVERYTHING NO LIMITATION. No other carrier comes close. Also they have an everything data for 69.99which includes 450 minutes and EVERYTHING AGAIN this one the 450 minutes only count fro land line and roaming because Sprint has unlimited mobile to moble regardless of the provider. NO other carrier comes even close....
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    NO other carrier comes even close....

No other provider than AT&T come close to signal where I live. If I dont have a signal what good is having sprint?
    <<Thread Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Ugh, do not want ridic Canada and Europe data caps coming to the US.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    It's not really "things going backwards", it's business. Bell did the same type of thing here in Canada when they launched their new network; the day the network became active (and they were able to offer the iPhone) was the same day they did away with all of their unlimited data plans. I managed to get one of these plans on the last day they were available, and so (strangely) I'm all right with the 3 year contract.

Basically, if there's a way for them to get more money, they'll take it. And they succeed this way because people go along with it.
    I am with you tungsten C...I too cannot figure out why more people have not jumped ship to Sprint. I can only come up with a couple of real reasons...

1. Sprint has crappy coverage where you live. (so you go Verizon...)
    2. You MUST have an iPhone (so you go AT&T...)
    3. Your work pays for your phone (so you must go with who they choose...)
    4. You are both incredibly rich and incredibly insane and enjoy paying more money for less stuff...

I have the Sprint Everything Family plan, which is 1400 minutes split between two phones, plus unlimited data, text, etc. And Sprint kicks in the following freebies: Free nights and weekends starting at 7 pm, Free mobile to mobile calls (any mobile...not just 5 or 10 people you choose...any mobile), free roaming (no roaming rates, so even if I am out of coverage, I can still ride the Verizon network for calls), Free long distance, Free Sprint TV, free Sprint Navigation, and with the Pre I got the free Premium upgrade which allows me to get a new phone each year at a reduced rate.

I also get a sweet 25% discount on my Sprint bill through my work (Sprint offers so many corporate discounts that most people I know that are on Sprint get some sort of discount or another...if you already have Sprint, call customer service and ask if your company is one of them...) and so for both phones our bill for all that above is around 86.00 a month! And since the mobile to mobile (everyone I call except my parents has a cell phone) and nights/weekends calls do not count toward our minutes, we never come close to our 1400 minutes.

Just for grins I went to Verizon's website and priced two Pre's with a similar package (1400 minutes, unlimited data, voicemail, etc..) and it came to 183.95 an month. Assuming that I could get the same corp. discount (I can't...but for the sake of arguement), it still only brings it down to 137.96 a month...about 52.00 a month more than I currently pay! And I did not factor in the cost of VZ Navigator (I think this is free now...) or the fact that you can only choose 10 friends on VZ to make free calls to.

Same thing with AT&T...similar package (1400 minutes, data plan, messaging plan, etc) and the total comes to 179.99 monthly. I get 10% off ATT at work, so that brings it down to 161.99, almost 75.00 more per month than my current bill. And again, none of the freebies with AT&T, like navigation, unlimited bandwidth, TV, free roaming, etc.

For the record, I like Verizon. They do have the best coverage, and are getting better at giving the side items away for free like VZ Navigator. But I carry a AT&T phone for work, a Blackberry Bold, and in my part of the world, AT&T is HORRIBLE. Frequent dropped calls, hit or miss 3G coverage, slow download speeds, and crappy voice quality. As a comparison, my Sprint Pre never drops calls, I get blazing 3G coverage everywhere I go, and the voice quality is much better.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    In the last month or so we've seen some big changes when it comes to bandwidth pricing.
    Verizon - 5GB limit
    ATT - iPad 3G pricing went from $30 Unlimited to $25 for 2GB
    Sprint - $10/mo for 4G and for those without 4G service it is justified as "Because it removes the 3G 5GB cap"

I have no problem with charging more if you use the bandwidth, but I'm curious what people are doing to even come close to hitting these 5GB caps if they AREN'T tethering.

My guess is video, but whether its a 3.5" Pre screen or a 4.3" EVO then I dont see the appeal of using YouTube frequently enough to do any real data-use damage. I even tether my Pre to my notebook and iPad and still I've never hit massive data usage because if I'm using 3G I'm probably not somewhere where I'm going to watch a full movie.

So what am I missing? Im fine with paying more if I use more but I'm just not sure how 3G or 4G untethered is really going to turn me into a bandwidth hog.
    I can't speak for the other carriers, but on Sprint the 5GB limit is ONLY for MiFi/Mobile HotSpot/USB modems etc... NOT for on phone usage.

If you are using one of these devices as your sole, or primary internet access, then 5GB is easy to hit.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast