1.    #1  
    im going to the UK on sunday and sprint said my pre wont work.. is there a way to get it to work in the UK??
    Sprint is a CDMA technology, which is not available in the UK. You should be able to use WiFi.

If you are going to be there for a while just get a cheap pre-paid cell. Or Sprint does offer world-wide phones for rent, but they are pretty expensive.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    UK is all GSM, so no it wont work, only wifi will!
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

4.    #4  
    so which is better/newer? CDMA or GSM? and thanks for the help! will make use of wifi.. too bad you cant make internet calls with skype
    it depends...
    US market
    Verizon - best coverage - CDMA
    Sprint - Best 3G - CDMA
    AT&T - lots of dropped calls - GSM (voice and data simultaneously)
    T-mobile - Small Network - GSM (voice and data simultaneously)

GSM is the worldwide "standard", they also you SIM cards, which is nice because you can go from phone to phone easily. State side GSM coverage isn't that great(voice/data is nice), can't really speak to the rest of the world, but most everyone else uses GSM, oh and metric, not the "standard" measurement system.

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquzaq View Post
    so which is better/newer? CDMA or GSM? and thanks for the help! will make use of wifi.. too bad you cant make internet calls with skype
    In general CDMA has better voice quality, but GSM can do some cool stuff like voice and data at the same time.

I believe CDMA can do voice and data at the same time, but it is harder to do, and I know for a fact that VZW and Sprint won't allow it.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    In general CDMA has better voice quality, but GSM can do some cool stuff like voice and data at the same time.

I believe CDMA can do voice and data at the same time, but it is harder to do, and I know for a fact that VZW and Sprint won't allow it.
    CDMA is also known to have faster 3g speeds but again the lack of widespread use outside of the US and ability to do voice and data at the same time (in current revisions) are it's only flaws
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    CDMA is also known to have faster 3g speeds but again the lack of widespread use outside of the US and ability to do voice and data at the same time (in current revisions) are it's only flaws
    Grats on breaking 3,000 posts!

/going-off-topic

9.    #9  
    thanks! appreciate the answers.. its cool i can get on the net with wifi and upload facebook photos! thought the ads were saying sprint is now 4G... that only in certain areas like major cities?
    thanks! appreciate the answers.. its cool i can get on the net with wifi and upload facebook photos! thought the ads were saying sprint is now 4G... that only in certain areas like major cities?
    Major cities only and not even all of them but expansion is planned for this year to most of the east coast and then 2011 for the rest
    Sprint is the first US network to have an active 4G network. It is still in the process of expanding it. Sprint still uses CDMA for voice and 3G service.

Here is a list of where 4G is currently, and were it should be by the end of the year.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...ted-5-5-a.html

Sprint: First and Only Wireless 4G from a National Carrier

cities link at the bottom

<p>
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    oh and metric, not the &quot;standard&quot; measurement system.
    </p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>What's &quot;standard&quot;? It's what you use or what every one else uses?</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>This remembers me the joke about the guy driving in the highway while listening the car radio:</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>- Police reports about one car going the opposite direction in the highway...</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>And the guy says: </p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>- Only one? Everyone but me!!!</p>
    remember there will be 2 4G(lte&wimax) systems in use. Just like we have 2 2G (gsm&cdma) and 2 3G systems(umts&wcdma). That's before we start talking about supported frequency bands.