Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    What would it take for the Palm Pre to be a worldwide cell phone. I travel to South Africa periodically and really don't want to buy another cell just for the trip.

What app or software upgrade will allow this to happen?? Or is this a long shot.

Let me know your thoughts
    If you're using Sprint or Verizon, NOTHING.

Most of the world uses the cellular technology GSM, whereas Sprint and Verizon (as well as Bell Mobility in Canada) use CDMA (though Verizon uses W-CDMA in some phones, which has both CDMA and GSM to be a World-CDMA phone).

In short, there is nothing software can do. Only a new cellular chip on the phone (a GSM chip) could do that. Your best bet is to sell your Pre, end your contract, and buy an AT&T Pre Plus (i.e. switch to AT&T and most likely downgrade service) and hope you can unlock it for your international travels.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    +1
    It sounds like the ATT version MIGHT be the way to go.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    You need a tri-/quad-band GSM phone. That will work (almost?) everywhere.

I used my multi-band phones over the years with roaming in Australia, US, UK (and at home in Germany).

You can either wait for the AT&T Pre - or get the Pre (non-plus) from Germany now - as long as you are fine with the qwertz keyboard. The german Pre is sold by O2 unlocked.