1.    #1  
    Just wondering what - if any - GPS navigation software the Pre will have when it launches on O2 in the UK next week. I'm guessing it's not gonna have the Sprint app the US comes with, and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have anything at all... anyone played with the GSM Pres enough to know?
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I assume the closest we'll get is Google Maps. I'd have expected to hear something more concrete if there was some kind of corporate sponsorship or cooperation on a dedicated GPS app.
    The Pre sold by o2 in germany is without navigation software. There's googlemaps, but that's just a better map. I heard TomTom is working on a version of their software for webOS.
  4. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    So we're getting shafted on the price, the underlying OS version and the bundled software? Im starting to realise why Palm has never made it big in Europe!
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I already have a dedicated GPS device - and frankly, if turning off the GPS helps the Pre's battery stay alive for longer, then I probably won't use it for navigation even if someone does bring out an app for the Pre.
    The trouble is that I don't think O2 owns any such software, and neither do Palm as far as I'm aware.

The Nokia phones that come with turn-by-turn navigation run Nokia's own software; Vodafone have their own navigation software, too.

I think as support grows for WebOS we will see a number of navigation candidates available for purchase, but I can't see much hope in Palm/O2 including any at launch
    I'm more than happy with my tomtom so will just use that instead of my phone.
  8. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I often use TomTom on my Windows Mobile phone when navigating (on foot) abroad. Not going to take a dedicated sat nav on holiday with me, but GPS with turn-by-turn navigation would be really useful in such circumstances.
    Google Maps and the like are no substitute IMO