Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I've been waiting literally years for my next Palm phone. The Pre is awesome, but I need a GSM phone. The news today that there will be no unlocked GSM Pre with an english style keyboard may be the last straw. I'll wait another month or two to see how this pans out, but it's looking like I'm giving in and getting an iPhone. Perhaps someday Palm will deliver a real "open" phone and I'll come back to them. But I'm just tired of waiting. I need a better browser than my Treo 680 and I need an unlocked GSM phone. So sad, so fustrating.

PS: I'll be getting an iPhone here in New Zealand where they are sold unlocked.
    G/L
    So, you're going to buy a phone without a keyboard because the phone you like doesn't have the exact keyboard you want with all of the other features you want?

Whatever floats your boat!
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Well, I might be able to live with some swapped keys, but that would be a major annoyance, possibly negating the advantage of the physical keys. For the longest time I swore I'd never buy a keyboardless phone, but after time with friends' iPhones I see the on screen kb is not bad, now it's a preference rather than an ideology.

At this point it's not clear I could even use that German (Or hacked UK/European) GSM phone as I'd like to anyway. We don't know if you'll be able to register/setup/upgrade these phones on other carriers. Perhaps things will work out, I'm not abandoning all hope, just not optimistic given the recent news.

The big disappointment is that Palm seemingly isn't at all concerned with giving us a phone not locked to a provider. Perhaps it's just in their interest, but it's not in mine.

If they change this and offer supported, unlocked/unbranded WebOS phones (hopefully with more than a pathetic 8GB memory!!!) I'll certainly consider getting one in the future.
    btw isn't the iphone locked to only one provider as well?
    could be worse you could be on sprints network unable to get an unlocked phone and have no option but to go with the pre, I myself would trade anything except for my great sprint service plan to get an iphone 3gs.
    Good luck! Good thing about your choice is that you don't have to do it with AT&T's crappy, terrible network.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    So you have been waiting for the Pre for a long time, but after you used your friend's iPhone, you like it better. That's perfectly fine. The iPhone is still a great phone. Just don't rationalize your reason for this as you don't want a GSM Pre with a few swapped keys. I guess pretty soon there might even be people willing to swap in US keyboards for a good price.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    wait! (I haven't been on the forum in a long time, and just found this thread via a search for 'unlocked').

Is this true that Palm will NOT be offering an unlocked GSM version of the Pre?

If it's true, then I'm outta here....

traveling to Europe in the next few months, and I would prefer just swapping my card from my Treo650 over to the Pre, and just get on with life....

Crazy industry, crazy company, crazy times....

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusbliss View Post
    ... Is this true that Palm will NOT be offering an unlocked GSM version of the Pre? ...
    I believe the unlocked Pre will be available from O2 in Germany. The other European O2 countries will have locked GSM Pre's. According to other threads here, the available date for the Pre on O2 in Germany is 10/13/2009. I've also read that this unit has a slightly different keyboard layout from the US model.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    If all you want is a nice browser, just get an iTouch and save on the monthly fees. Sucks they don't have a GSM Pre yet, though. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I believe the unlocked Pre will be available from O2 in Germany. The other European O2 countries will have locked GSM Pre's. According to other threads here, the available date for the Pre on O2 in Germany is 10/13/2009. I've also read that this unit has a slightly different keyboard layout from the US model.
    If it was possible to get the O2 unlocked version here in the US, then the next step would be to swap in the GSM card, but I'm not sure that's going to be possible without an 'official' unlocked GSM release from Palm in the US.

IIRC the unlocked GSM version of Treo650 took almost two years. (??)

G
    Honestly, I don't see how Palm could have the GSM version locked that wouldn't be possible to get around with not much effort. I mean, we basically can look at all of the webOS source code as it is. The radio control stuff is in services, but all of that has to be called by the Javascript that we can look at anyway.

Don't quote me on this, (and DEFINITELY don't base any decisions on this guess), but I'd guess a month or two after the GSM Pre is released that someone figures out how to unlock it.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    I dont think the problem with him is getting it unlocked probably the US style keyboard is the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    I dont think the problem with him is getting it unlocked probably the US style keyboard is the issue.
    The UK Pre (which will be sold locked initially) will have a standard QWERTY keyboard.

His problem is that the only Pre to be sold as unlocked is the German one, which uses a QWERTZ keyboard.

My post was suggesting that it shouldn't take too long for the UK / QWERTY GSM Pre to be unlocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The UK Pre (which will be sold locked initially) will have a standard QWERTY keyboard.

His problem is that the only Pre to be sold as unlocked is the German one, which uses a QWERTZ keyboard.

My post was suggesting that it shouldn't take too long for the UK / QWERTY GSM Pre to be unlocked.
    Or find a part supplier and swap keyboards out.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    According to O2 UK Customer Service they will sell the Palm Pre without a contract. They couldn't yet give me a price. They said having the phone unlocked by them will cost about 15 pounds.

(BTW, anyone who wants to call their sales department to ask for a price? I'm from the Netherlands and calling from here would be somewhat expensive )
    I spoke to the Palm dealer in Beirut (Lebanon) and he mentioned that he will be getting the Palm Pre GSM unlocked version (we dont have locked phones in Lebanon, all phones are sold unlocked, thank god). He says arrival date is November and price will be similar to Europe.
    Been waiting for an unlocked GSM version since Jan.

This means there is an unlocked version ready for distribution (in the Middle East at least). Strange how no one is mentioning this.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    This means there is an unlocked version ready for distribution (in the Middle East at least). Strange how no one is mentioning this.
    The first time anyone has mentioned that (or that I've seen), is your statement. Is there anything to back that up? e.g. pricing, advert, poster, official collateral, etc. that suggest either it's availability, its price, or its arrival date?

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    He says arrival date is November and price will be similar to Europe.
    keep us posted... if its true
    Last edited by c_man; 10/19/2009 at 08:59 AM.
    They always come out unlocked, maybe not in the beginning. Plus, someone always unlocks them... Stop whining..
    Even in days of locked GSM Treo's Cingular (ATT) would unlock them for you.
    Have fun with that iphone, I never did.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast