1.    #1  
    Palm marketing is hard to understand.

In general, people expected from monthes of waiting the Pre mainly as a phone between leisure and work, ie between Apple and RIM.
    As a work tool, I see no way a Pre in its state compete with my 680; there is simply no professional soft at this point, but a naked phone, combining mail messaging and web, looking better for media and social networks than keeping data useful everyday.

The PalmOs v1.0 PIM's were better than the present WebOs one's, they synchronized, had categories... and this was 13 years ago. Added to the difficulties that returning Palm customers have porting old data on the new platform, or using their former softs, not having quick moves towards those will cut the Pre froms its base.

Which is still divided per 2, as GSM model is out of sight since february and Barcelona, without nothing but rumours as an operator ( when Sprint was announced with the Pre itself).
    With Treos, launches were always simultaneously made with GSM models, that were sometimes even first on the market.

I don't see any strategy in this, specially when it comes to promote a new Os, not only a phone.
    Maybe Europe and the rest of the world are not a valuable market anymore for Palm.
    Well, from what I can see, they are still valuable to Apple, their new phone is available in a few days here...

Maybe Palm is simply pragmatic: Anyone has an idea of the share of GSM models among the whole Treo sales?
    Last edited by Wayenberg; 06/20/2009 at 03:01 PM.
    Its due to release in September sometime. I think they would like to fix as many bugs as possible before any international release. The Iphone didn't release internationally until well after it was released over here and besides that, we can barely keep up with demand over here.
    Europe is a valuable market for Palm. But they must first verify there is a market for the palm pre before launching one smartphone at great costs all over the world.

Now it seems to be a successfull launch and I hope to see it in Europe shortly.
  4.    #4  
    The choice of the operator made by Palm in Europe seems difficult.

Again, the brand that will have the Pre under exclusivity is not a major one, as Telefonica is only the fourth provider there and merely represents 50% of the first, Vodafone

http://www.vermot-gauchy.com/a/image.../01/telmob.jpg

More than that, Europe is not one single market and Telefonica and its subsidiaries are only present in 4 countries, when 2 of those rank in the 4 first markets (Italy and France are offplay)

http://graph.benchmark.fr/journaldun...073_633076.png

Too bad, the european market represents 331 millions mobile clients comparing to 225 millions in the States, and the introduction of WebOs is on a small part of it (11%).
    They took the hard way...

But it is true that PalmOs never had the same market penetration share on this side of the Atlantic...
    Last edited by Wayenberg; 07/11/2009 at 07:06 AM.
  5.    #5  
    After all, the choice of secondary operators in the States and Europe corresponds to limited treasury or/and production output capacities.

It avoids massive orders and expensive storage, and allows some kind of financial flexibility.

There might be no match possible between firms like Apple and Palm on this point of view...

Frustrating for buyers, so much easier to manage.

There must be a reason for choices like Sprint or Movistar...