1.    #1  
    Verizon Selling GSM Phones?

A friend of mine usually goes to Mexico every year with his wife. When he goes to Mexico, he calls Verizon so his CDMA phone will work in Mexico.

This year, due to the swine flu issue, he's going to Europe. He called Verizon and they told him he needs to buy one of these phones:

Enter your location

When did Verizon start selling GSM phones? Why wouldn't they just refer him to Vodaphone, which is Verizons mother company.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

All of those phones are dual-mode CDMA/GSM.

Samsung Saga, Renown debut for Verizon Wireless | Crave - CNET
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    All of those phones are dual-mode CDMA/GSM.

Samsung Saga, Renown debut for Verizon Wireless | Crave - CNET
    Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't look close enough at them to see they had both bands.

What do you think his best option is at this point? Just get a cheap pay as you go GSM phone, and forward his number to it while he's Europe? He's only going to be gone for 10 days.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Usually I just use my phone and put a local prepaid SIM, that's what I do when I'm in Hong Kong. Not sure how overseas forwarding will work for the carrier, and I've never tried forwarding my Canadian number, I just give people my local number. Although it sounds like in your case it isn't an option.

But one thing I notice is, roaming is almost always the most expensive option. Hence I'd say just prepaid.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here