Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I know it's synonymous with the Sprint situation, though in a different way...

Telstra may be the largest telco in Australia but that's because it used to be the only telco. Telstra has a bad reputation for over charging and few mobile options.

I hope that the Pre is released on a range of carriers, the same way that the iPhone was here, otherwise it's potential will be hurt.
    Last edited by brum; 06/16/2009 at 12:14 PM.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    I dont get it
    Quote Originally Posted by godsidekurt View Post
    I dont get it
    +1

Sounds like he's trying to say that since Telstra has a bad rep, people may not want to buy the Pre from them. If Telstra is the exclusive carrier, due to their bad rep, that could hurt Pre sales over there.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    could not agree more. no GSM no sale.
    another day for you and me in paradise
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brum View Post
    I know it's synonymous with the Sprint situation, though in a different way...

Telstra may be the largest telco but that's because it used to be the only telco. Telstra has a bad reputation for over charging and few mobile options.

I hope that the GSM Pre is released on a range of carriers, the same way that the iPhone was here, otherwise it's potential will be hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Sounds like he's trying to say that since Telstra has a bad rep, people may not want to buy the Pre from them. If Telstra is the exclusive carrier, due to their bad rep, that could hurt Pre sales over there.
    Sorry, what Diva said. Telstra's bad rep (thought it might be similar to the Sprint situation but looks like Sprint has fixed their issues) is easily enough to hold back many buyers.

Telstra exclusive launch in Aus hurt the Centro because Telstra sucks at young people and PrePaid which is how it was released. People thought Aus didn't like it but really they just didn't like Telstra. That and the fact of no 3G because for the sake of differentiation, the US uses EVDO and doesn't use the UMTS band most of the rest of the world uses.

Hoping for a open release on a range of carriers, which is how the iPhone was launched.
    Last edited by brum; 06/14/2009 at 09:10 PM.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Quote Originally Posted by shalero View Post
    could not agree more. no GSM no sale.
    LOL WUT

Telstra is a GSM operator in Australia.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Telstra may be the largest telco
    I though Vodafone was the worlds largest mobile operator.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I though Vodafone was the worlds largest mobile operator.
    Maybe global but not in Aus(sorry I didn't clarify that), Telstra has got a history with Palm for exclusive releases.
    Last edited by brum; 06/17/2009 at 07:40 PM.
    Maybe global but not in Aus(sorry I didn't clarify that), Telstra has got a history with Palm for exclusive releases.
    Its too funny, I have a friend who has been a palm user since uni 10 years ago. Last year she went into a Telstra store to specifically buy a "device compatible with her Palm desktop" Even though they sold centros in the store, the salesman sold her a nokia???
    I had a spare centro so I gave it to her, she absolutely loves the phone.

Telstra just suck at everything they do.

Incompetent Incumbent!
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Its too funny, I have a friend who has been a palm user since uni 10 years ago. Last year she went into a Telstra store to specifically buy a "device compatible with her Palm desktop" Even though they sold centros in the store, the salesman sold her a nokia???
    I had a spare centro so I gave it to her, she absolutely loves the phone.

Telstra just suck at everything they do.

Incompetent Incumbent!
    So true! Many Telstra reps have no idea what Palm OS is. Though they are a(the?) major carrier for Palm, I think they are the reason Palms splash in Australia has been poor. It's been blamed on market taste but I don't think that is the case.
    Is there a date yet for when Telstra will have the Pre?
    Indeed it is true that telstra are extremely useless (u have no idea of the problems i've had with them), but they do have the best mobile network of the aussie providers, and they allow a fair bit of customization of their plans. I can't afford to spend more than 50 (AUD) a month on my mobile bill and a lot of the other providers have like $70-80 minimums with no chance of buying the phone outright to lower that cost (e.g vodafone).

I'd really prefer not to go with telstra, but that might just have to be the way it goes whether they get the exclusive or not.
    Last edited by izak; 06/23/2009 at 06:11 AM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by jrgougeon View Post
    Is there a date yet for when Telstra will have the Pre?
    There was mention of August, but we will have to wait and see.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Historically, what is Telstra's record about unlocking their phones? If I buy a Pre from them outright can I expect to be able to unlock it and use it in New Zealand?
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
    Historically, what is Telstra's record about unlocking their phones? If I buy a Pre from them outright can I expect to be able to unlock it and use it in New Zealand?
    Telstra charge astronomical fees for unlocking, but you will probably be able to unlock via the 'net. That was the case with Centro.
    I live in Australia, and I really don't want to get my Pre on Telstra. They definitely don't have the best deals.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I was excited when I first heard that the GSM Pre was seen with a Vodafone SIM card since I use Vodafone here in NZ. I don't have any love for Vodafone, but that would be a good sign for NZ Pre availability I thought. But from my 9 months down here, I think choosing a mobile provider here is a no win situation. I never thought I'd miss Sprint or T-Mobile in the US!
    I keep sending messages to Telstra asking when the Pre will be out, and they continuously send me the same automated message:

"As of this writing, we still do not have information regarding the release date of the new Palm Pre. Can you please call or visit your nearest Telstra Shop for information regarding the Palm Pre's release date."

If the customer service still hasn't even heard about the release date in august, then I don't like the chances that it is coming any time soon.

And I assume that us Aussie's aren't able to buy the Pre off Amazon or something unlocked to use in Australia? Could someone clarify that for me? Thanks.
    ED02
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    And I assume that us Aussie's aren't able to buy the Pre off Amazon or something unlocked to use in Australia? Could someone clarify that for me? Thanks.
    ED02
    As far as I know there has been no GSM release and so the answer is no.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast