1.    #1  
    Here's a worldwide mobile phone carrier ranking by the number of subscribers:

List of mobile network operators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a US mobile phone carrier ranking by the number of subscribers:

List of mobile network operators of the Americas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*I was surprised that Verizon has more subscribers than AT&T

*I was surprised that AT&T does not operate outside of the US

*I was surprised that TracFone (Net10) which has those super cheap pay as you go phones have 11 million subscribers.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    *I was surprised that Verizon has more subscribers than AT&T
    AT&T was #1 until Verizon bought Alltel. That gave Verizon the edge in # of subscribers.

*I was surprised that AT&T does not operate outside of the US
    AT&T's network doesn't; their phones, generally, roam better than most CDMA ones, because ~80% of the world uses GSM. (That figure may have changed slightly since I heard it.) That said, if you travel much, you're often better off with an unlocked GSM phone and a local SIM vs. paying any carrier's international roaming for all of your calls. Use the local SIM for in-country calls and the AT&T SIM for calls back to the US.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    AT&T was #1 until Verizon bought Alltel. That gave Verizon the edge in # of subscribers.
    So that's what put them over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    AT&T's network doesn't; their phones, generally, roam better than most CDMA ones, because ~80% of the world uses GSM. (That figure may have changed slightly since I heard it.) That said, if you travel much, you're often better off with an unlocked GSM phone and a local SIM vs. paying any carrier's international roaming for all of your calls. Use the local SIM for in-country calls and the AT&T SIM for calls back to the US.
    It was just the impression I got from AT&T wireless commercials, of course AT&T didn't mention they would be GSM roaming. I got the impression they had a network overseas.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    *I was surprised that TracFone (Net10) which has those super cheap pay as you go phones have 11 million subscribers.
    They're going to be losing one this week. I have to wait 72 hours while they drag their feet doing the "post out" of the number to Sprint before I can use my Pre.