1.    #1  
    Ok, Unlocked Treo 680 from the Cingular/AT&T network.
    Purchased a pay as you go sim from the Lebara Network in London.
    I can make and receive calls with my new number, I can send and receive SMS from UK numbers, and I can send SMS to anybody in the USA. So far TMobile and AT&T.

However! I am unable to receive SMS from phones with USA numbers. Both phones that are in the UK and in the USA are unable to hit me with SMS.

We've tried a variety of things to get it to work. +44 before my UK number, 01144 before the number. Nothing seems to work.

Lebara is tell me that they had a problem once upon a time with SMS from AT&T, but that the problem had been resolved. So it must be something wrong on the AT&T end.

AT&T tells me that the texts are leaving the USA and the problem is on the UK end!

OY!!!

Anybody know what the real problem is??

Thanks!
  2.    #2  
    Still not getting any help from Lebara. Haven't had time to talk to AT&T this week.

Guess you guys have not had this problem, I see many reading the thread, but still no reply's. Guess I'll just have to suffer!

Thanks anyway.....
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneOfLove View Post
    Guess you guys have not had this problem, I see many reading the thread, but still no reply's.
    Indeed, I've never had a problem sending or receiving international SMS's, beyond the occasional one delayed for a few hours. It's got to be a network problem, surely? If you can sall the number, you should be able to SMS it!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Indeed, I've never had a problem sending or receiving international SMS's, beyond the occasional one delayed for a few hours. It's got to be a network problem, surely? If you can sall the number, you should be able to SMS it!
    One would like to think tirk, one would like to think!

But calls work just fine.

My money is on a bad relationship between Lebara and the USA, and Lebara has blocked incoming texts. Can't prove that, but the lack of help or info from Lebara other than to point the finger elsewhere has to mean something!

Next year I'll go with another carrier while here. AT&T just rapes you for calls home!!
    I'm on Sprint and can send but not receive SMS from certain countries. I had a long discussion with Sprint support and it came down to older versions of SMS gateways with said carriers.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  6.    #6  
    well, its long been said the USA is a few years behind in cell phone technology.....

Wonder why AT&T was so adamant that my wife's sms were "leaving" the country, and the problem wasn't their's??
  7.    #7  
    Not sure why, but yesterday I started getting SMS from AT&T phones located in both the UK and the USA.

Still unable to get SMS from TMobile phones located here in the UK.

No explanation has come from Lebara as to why it kinda works now.