Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With a UK T-Mobile SIM "SMS Receipts" has been an option on my Treo 680 to receive text delivery reports since I bought it (it appears in the Messages preference screen between "MMS Receipts" and "Validity Period").

I first updated to 1.12-ROW, and the capability was still there.

Going to 2.12-ROW I found the option was no longer present. I hard reset, but to no avail.

Reverting to 1.12-ROW fixed the issue, but only after a hard reset - I guess this points the finger at a carrier info DB, since the 2.12 DB may have been carried over by the 1.12 installer until I hard reset.

Just to warn those who may care about this feature.
    I've not seen SMS Receipts ever work on T-Mobile in the UK, regardless of ROM version.

MMS receipts seem to, but not SMS reciepts...

Could it be related to Carrier DB version?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    I've not seen SMS Receipts ever work on T-Mobile in the UK, regardless of ROM version. MMS receipts seem to, but not SMS reciepts...
    Does the option show up for you, as described above? You won't get a receipt alert screen as you do with MMS, but when you look at sent SMS there's a tick in the column view, and the detail view has a "Delivered: date/time" entry.

This has always worked for me on the 680, though the 650 didn't have it.

Could it be related to Carrier DB version?
    Could be. 1.12 has Carrier DB 549. I'm not going back to 2.12 to check
    I don't know if that's anything to do with CarrierProfiles2.pdb, which is included in hotsyncs (and presumably the firmware update process).
    There's no option in the 2.12 ROM.

I must be having a slow day today as I can't see a column view with ticks in or find a detail view with delivery dates and times.

Carrier DB on the ROW 2.12 is 561.
  5.    #5  
    There's no option in the 2.12 ROM.
    Uh, I know - as I said in my first post it's not there in 2.12, but is in 1.12 and the original firmware my 680 shipped with.

You said you'd never seen the option - I wondered whether you hadn't noticed it before you updated to 2.12. It's quite hidden, after all.

If it's a feature you care about I suggest you try 1.12 (though as I said, you'll need to hard reset too). It's clearly also affected by an interaction with one of the carrier DBs shipped with the various updates, but I haven't exhaustively tried all combinations to nail down which one and exactly how.

I must be having a slow day today as I can't see a column view with ticks in or find a detail view with delivery dates and times.
    No, you won't see these in 2.12 because you don't have the option of SMS receipts.

I meant the sent folder (column view) and individual messages from the sent folder (detail view). Delivery dates and times will only appear if SMS receipts are enabled. The little envelope icons in the sent folder will also have ticks if SMS receipts are enabled; these ticks are identical in style to the ones that appear over MMS envelopes in the same folder if you have MMS receipts enabled.
    OK, I missed this completely, it's quite subtle isn't it. Honestly all the time I'd tried switching receipts on with the 650 or the 680 I just presumed they were broken, I never thought to look in the sent items folder <duh>.
    I just tried it out on my SO's 680 (1.12) and I finally see them.

Might have a play and see if I can re-enable them
    Well, I borrowed a page from Shadowmites book and last night traced the overlay resource references back through the disassembled nexter.prc code (bird is great fun!). I found the related code to hide the 'SMS Receipts' object on the form and though I got the option to show up it wouldn't retain the setting once I left the form.
    Cool as Bird is for onboard tinkering, I really need to view the code in a proper disassember to get this working (not going to happen today).

Here are some details if anyone wants to tinker as well :
    Preferences form = ID#6000
    SMS receipt option = ID#6105

nexter.prc code segment 3
    1EE6 : BEQ 70 <-- Skip past code to show object if prior test says to hide the option

So a NOP at that point will reveal the option, but it might be better to fix the test subroutine (jumped to from address 1EDC) instead as then we might find out where these carrier customisations are stored in the first place
  8.    #8  
    My Treo 680 is going in for repair. While it's away I'll be using my old Treo 650, so I coped over some .pdb from the 680 to the 650 tonight - including the Messages Database.

This copy of the Messages Database has delivery reports stored in it from its use in my 680.

Well what do you know - but back in the 650 these stored delivery reports are still shown:
    • in the "conversation" view, messages I've sent that have been delivered have a little green tick after "Me"
    • undelivered messages have a question mark here instead
    • selecting an individual message has the same tick or question mark, and also a "Delivered on XX/XX/XX XX:XX

There's no 650 Messages pref for SMS receipts with my T-Mobile SIM.

So it would appear the Messages app has had the ability to display delivery reports to the user since the 650 - though the GSM side of the phone either doesn't receive them, or doesn't pass them to Messages. Perhaps its a carrier customisation thing again.

tomtastic: fascinating work on the disassembly!
    Might want to check here if you're interested : http://www.inkhorn.net/site/log/Entr..._receipts.html

I haven't done anything on this for almost a month, as I hit a stumbling block (the encrypted entries in CarrierProfiles2). It's going to be very simple to re-enable them though, I'll have another look at it tonight.
  10.    #10  
    I had a Centro - though I've returned it due to a crooked screen - and I noticed that it didn't have the option for SMS delivery reports. This has led me to play a bit more with my 680.

If I copy a 1.12 CarrierProfiles2.pdb to a 2.12 Treo 680 then the option appears again (as tomtastic's disassembly suggested). I don't know if CarrierProfiles2.pdb and NetworkProfiles2.pdb need to come as a pair; nothing bad seemed to come from copying the 1.12 NetworkProfiles2.pdb across to 2.12 as well.
    Might want to check here if you're interested : http://www.inkhorn.net/site/log/Entr..._receipts.html

I haven't done anything on this for almost a month, as I hit a stumbling block (the encrypted entries in CarrierProfiles2). It's going to be very simple to re-enable them though, I'll have another look at it tonight.
    Thanks for the info I managed to patch my Centro so I now have the option with my Carrier Comviq in Sweden.

I don't understand why they had it disabled.

Now I only have one more thing to find a solution to, and I cant seem to find where they hide the information. It's not a big problem just cosmetic because when I'm connected to the GSM network instead of the name of my provider
    "Comviq" my Centro displays "24007".

Any tip on where to look are welcome.
    No idea I'm afriad, I think the network name comes from the GSM network though, I don't believe it's stored in a ROM file or firmware image on the phone itself.

I never did get anywhere with the (what I believe to be a Vigenère) cipher which encodes the strings, or deciphering the meaning of the numeric fields in the carrier settings file. Pity as I can imagine there are a few interesting things we could enable in there.

Would you mind posting what you did to patch your phone to work with your carrier please ?
    Quote Originally Posted by krpage View Post
    If I copy a 1.12 CarrierProfiles2.pdb to a 2.12 Treo 680 then the option appears again (as tomtastic's disassembly suggested). I don't know if CarrierProfiles2.pdb and NetworkProfiles2.pdb need to come as a pair; nothing bad seemed to come from copying the 1.12 NetworkProfiles2.pdb across to 2.12 as well.
    Dont suppose you could post a copy of it here, or email it could you?
    I don't have a 1.12 ROM handy and I'd like to host the file on my page describing the SMS receipt process in case it's handy for anyone else.

Thankyou
  14.    #14  
    I've copied these from a backup - I think they're the right versions, but don't have time to double check right now. I believe you only need CarrierProfiles2.pdb?
    Attached Files Attached Files
  15.    #15  
    Oh, and if anyone has an address/contact for Palm software engineering (or clueful technical support) I'd be grateful to receive it so I can report this regression in CarrierProfiles2.

I attempted to go through the web-based support interface (which seems to be the only support mechanism these days) - the first response was to request my Treo be returned for a hardware fix(!), and the second... well, no response at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by krpage View Post
    Oh, and if anyone has an address/contact for Palm software engineering (or clueful technical support) I'd be grateful to receive it so I can report this regression in CarrierProfiles2.

I attempted to go through the web-based support interface (which seems to be the only support mechanism these days) - the first response was to request my Treo be returned for a hardware fix(!), and the second... well, no response at all.
    I don't think Palm have any tech people employed anymore and their tech support is a joke, have never got any help from them.

The CarrierProfiles2.pdb file is made up of "all" GSM Carrier, so if it's enabeled it's carrier specific.
    You would do us (well, at least me) a great favor if you explained how you did it. I did check the link, but could not figure it out.
    - Wouter

Quote Originally Posted by Christer View Post
    Thanks for the info I managed to patch my Centro so I now have the option with my Carrier Comviq in Sweden.

I don't understand why they had it disabled.

Now I only have one more thing to find a solution to, and I cant seem to find where they hide the information. It's not a big problem just cosmetic because when I'm connected to the GSM network instead of the name of my provider
    "Comviq" my Centro displays "24007".

Any tip on where to look are welcome.
    Sorry Tomtastic I missed you question.

Would you mind posting what you did to patch your phone to work with your carrier please ?
    Quote Originally Posted by nispen View Post
    You would do us (well, at least me) a great favor if you explained how you did it. I did check the link, but could not figure it out.
    - Wouter
    Ok I will try to explain what I did to make it work.

It involves hex patching so you should know something about this before trying. And I didn't solve the cipher.

As Tomtastic describes at his blog the "CarrierProfiles2.pdb" is generated on a hard reset and if you change something in the file in RAM it will be overwritten with a new one.
    So the edited file must have a higher version number than you have in ROM.

The "CarrierProfiles2.pdb" is made up of a list of carriers around the world, so you must find out the "MCC=Mobile Country Code" and "MNC=Mobile Network Code" in my case it was MCC=240 and MNC=07.

Tomtastic had discovered that in his case it was 3 positions that was different, and after a quick look it seemed to be position "72" and in that one I had the value "0" so I changed it to "1" and that worked for my carrier.

But as Tomtastic pointed out the file is encrypted so maybe it should be another value for other carrier's. Have not looked so much on it because I got it to work.

So maybe a better solution is to patch "Nexter" so it always have this option enabled.

Right now I'm trying to track down why the phone show "24007" instead of my carrier name "Comviq" because I think it's in the same file.
    And also trying to make a new ROM update so I can get rid of some ROM application and put in some other. But as alway it's hard to find information.

NEW: Some info say if you Place *0# before your SMS Message it should give the the receipt. But this I have not tried myself.

** But your carrier must support it ** and some carriers charge for the service so it may be a reason they have disabled it.

Look at this info from China Mobile

PS: If you want more help I will try to do what I can.

DS: I have attached the latest files I have version 612.

Greetings from Sweden
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Christer; 07/21/2008 at 12:30 AM.
    As Tomtastic describes at his blog the "CarrierProfiles2.pdb" is generated on a hard reset and if you change something in the file in RAM it will be overwritten with a new one.
    So the edited file must have a higher version number than you have in ROM.
    What I can't understand is how to ensure the file isn't overwritten on a reset ?

I've tried changing the DBVer of the CarrierProfiles2.pdb from 562 (in my case) to 582, but after a reset it always gets overwritten with version 562 from ROM.
  20.    #20  
    What I can't understand is how to ensure the file isn't overwritten on a reset ?
    I've tried changing the DBVer of the CarrierProfiles2.pdb from 562 (in my case) to 582, but after a reset it always gets overwritten with version 562 from ROM.
    I don't have a 680 to play with at the moment, but the CarrierProfiles2.pdb attached above - which comes from a 1.12 ROM, I think - survived over resets on a 2.12 flashed Treo 680.

There must be something other than the DBVer changed? (and I guess that implies the 2.12 version has a lower DBver than the 1.12 copy?!)

The same file doesn't, however, work on a Centro
    I haven't had time to break out a hex editor yet...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast