Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    What I can't understand is how to ensure the file isn't overwritten on a reset ?

I've tried changing the DBVer of the CarrierProfiles2.pdb from 562 (in my case) to 582, but after a reset it always gets overwritten with version 562 from ROM.
    Well, I suppose I was being a bit silly, I knew CarrierProfiles2 (which lives in RAM) was extracted from the CarrierCustomisation.prc (ROM) after every reset.
    So all that needs be done is to go further up the chain and copy a version of CarrierCustomization.prc (which contains a version of CarrierProfiles2 that has SMS-receipts) into RAM and let PalmOS do its default action of choosing the RAM copy in favour of it's version in ROM.
    In this case I've used the attached file (copy into RAM using Resco Explorer or similar as Filez can't manage to copy it correctly) which is for version 549.

Now even after a reset I have an option in the Nexters preferences for both SMS and MMS Receipts and I see the receipt confirmation ticks in my Sent items folder !

Of course this means someone could easily make a custom ROM with this in, but for the time being I'm happy to leave this duplicate prc in RAM.

Hope this helps !
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The db file's I posted in #18 works on my Centro without any problem, the only thing I had to do was to change record #72 for my carrier.

The file is remaining in memory after a soft reset but of course after a hard reset they must be installed again.

The DB 612 version is to overcome 160 character limit on SMS on certain Carrier. and is the latest update db I have from Palm works on all Palm OS Phones.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christer View Post
    The db file's I posted in #18 works on my Centro without any problem, the only thing I had to do was to change record #72 for my carrier.
    Also to confirm that changing record #72 (from 0 to 1) in the v612 files Christer posted re-enables SMS receipts for me on T-Mobile UK (I wasn't sure whether to change 234,30 or 234,31 so I just changed both).

It shows as Carrier DB 612 in Phone Info and survives a reset.

Thanks for everyone's help working this out.

The DB 612 version is to overcome 160 character limit on SMS on certain Carrier. and is the latest update db I have from Palm works on all Palm OS Phones.
    How did you receive this version from Palm - is it widely distributed? Or did you receive some clueful technical support?

NEW: Some info say if you Place *0# before your SMS Message it should give the the receipt. But this I have not tried myself.
    This can, I've found, work as an alternative method on some networks. e.g. on O2 in the UK if you prefix the body of your message with *0# you'll get a system generated SMS back telling you when the original message was delivered. However, this always comes back as a separate SMS even if the phone supports an SMS receipt interface (such as the Treo, or SonyEricsson phones), so one might guess that O2 aren't fully implementing the standard GSM receipt mechanism.

Probably not coincidentally, "standard" SMS receipts don't work on O2 UK even if your phone supports them and they're enabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by krpage View Post
    How did you receive this version from Palm - is it widely distributed? Or did you receive some clueful technical support?
    I don't really remember but I think I got it from Palm and their office in Philippines.

I have just know a discussion with Palm in Ireland about this and when I get more info about it I will post it here. But Palm's support in Ireland is so low
    when it comes to technical matter.

Maybe some effort like "Tomtastic" suggested to decipher the carrier data because it seems to cover rather interesting things.

I ran into a strange problem when I tried to help a friend from India, and the his operator is not even in the carrier file so it seems to be some roaming thing.
    Sorry Tomtastic I missed you question.

Ok I will try to explain what I did to make it work.

It involves hex patching so you should know something about this before trying. And I didn't solve the cipher.

As Tomtastic describes at his blog the "CarrierProfiles2.pdb" is generated on a hard reset and if you change something in the file in RAM it will be overwritten with a new one.
    So the edited file must have a higher version number than you have in ROM.

The "CarrierProfiles2.pdb" is made up of a list of carriers around the world, so you must find out the "MCC=Mobile Country Code" and "MNC=Mobile Network Code" in my case it was MCC=240 and MNC=07.

Tomtastic had discovered that in his case it was 3 positions that was different, and after a quick look it seemed to be position "72" and in that one I had the value "0" so I changed it to "1" and that worked for my carrier.

But as Tomtastic pointed out the file is encrypted so maybe it should be another value for other carrier's. Have not looked so much on it because I got it to work.

So maybe a better solution is to patch "Nexter" so it always have this option enabled.

Right now I'm trying to track down why the phone show "24007" instead of my carrier name "Comviq" because I think it's in the same file.
    And also trying to make a new ROM update so I can get rid of some ROM application and put in some other. But as alway it's hard to find information.

NEW: Some info say if you Place *0# before your SMS Message it should give the the receipt. But this I have not tried myself.

** But your carrier must support it ** and some carriers charge for the service so it may be a reason they have disabled it.

PS: If you want more help I will try to do what I can.

DS: I have attached the latest files I have version 612.

Greetings from Sweden
    Hi Christer,

I'm also owning a Palm Centro and uses it with Comviq. I too have "24007" instead of the carrier name in the Phone application. I installed the files from your message #18 in this thread, but it didn't do any difference. I'm I doing something wrong here or what might be the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by netmanswe View Post
    Hi Christer,

I'm also owning a Palm Centro and uses it with Comviq. I too have "24007" instead of the carrier name in the Phone application. I installed the files from your message #18 in this thread, but it didn't do any difference. I'm I doing something wrong here or what might be the problem?
    The file from post #18 was the latest DB version i had at that time and is not patched.

According to Palm the carrier name problem is related to a software incompatibility with the Tele2 SIM card. I don't know if its true but Palm is blaming Tele2. So it's the typical Palm moment22 situation.

But report it to Palm so maybe they can correct it before they go under Chapter 11, can't be so far away.

If you want SMS-Receipts enable on Tele2/Comviq Sweden use this file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Christer; 11/26/2008 at 06:56 PM.
    The file from post #18 was the latest DB version i had at that time and is not patched.

According to Palm the carrier name problem is related to a software incompatibility with the Tele2 SIM card. I don't know if its true but Palm is blaming Tele2. So it's the typical Palm moment22 situation.

But report it to Palm so maybe they can correct it before they go under Chapter 11, can't be so far away.

If you want SMS-Receipts enable on Tele2/Comviq Sweden use this file.
    Hi Christer,

I submutted it to Palm support and I got a muddy answer along the lines "a problem that will not be fixed" - case closed.

But the problem came with the Treo 680 ROW update some time ago, so they shouldn't be unanaware of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by netmanswe View Post
    Hi Christer,

I submutted it to Palm support and I got a muddy answer along the lines "a problem that will not be fixed" - case closed.

But the problem came with the Treo 680 ROW update some time ago, so they shouldn't be unanaware of it.
    Interesting so before you upgraded with the new update you had the operator name?

I haven't had time to look deeper into the problem because may father died earlier this year so it so the priority was to get the SMS receipts working.

But I shall look at it but I must get the old software for 680 so I can look at the code.
    Greetings Tom,

Could you pls advise your blog-page that describes the steps to re-install the SMS Receipts? (Post # 13 above)

I did the same thing (upgraded to 2.12 ROW), and then ended-up losing the SMS Receipts capability.

I got back to 1.12 but it is still missing.
    I tried the 1.12 ROW Customs#3, and it is still missing.
    I tried the hard-reset thing, and still no luck.

I tried installing the old CarrierProfiles2.pdb (which has the SMS Receipts) using Hotsynch (after making sure the Backup is "Desktop overwrites Handheld", but still no luck..!

Could you pls advise how a novice Treo 680 user like me can do it?
    The suggestions given in this thread is unfortunately too advance for me.
    I don't understand any of the RAM / ROM thing & how to move from RAM to ROM, as suggested above.

Thanks a lot!
    madtreo007
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12