Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    The Centro is listed as having EDGE Class 10, but does any UK network support this protocol? I'm currently on T Mobile but trying to get an answer from their website is like swimming in thick mud with dark glasses on at night. In heavy boots.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Anyone got an answer to this?
    Sorry but thanks for the picture. Sounds like when I called Sprint sales dept. on when the Centro $99 promo expires. Over ten minutes later and asking the same question twenty times at least and spoke with a Sales supervisor I found out that information is confidential even though its on TV commercials, posters and what not and they aren't told when the phone deals expire. Um, check please.
  4. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by urban75 View Post
    The Centro is listed as having EDGE Class 10, but does any UK network support this protocol?
    Should work fine. EDGE has been out for a couple of years now (including Class 10), so I'd be shocked if a European network--being one of the most advanced worldwide--didn't support it.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    According to the phone call I got from them yesterday, T-Mobile don't provide EDGE coverage in the UK.
    Most of the UK is already on 3G/3.5G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    EDGE has been out for a couple of years now (including Class 10), so I'd be shocked if a European network--being one of the most advanced worldwide--didn't support it.
    Because the UK networks pushed into 3G/UMTS earlier than, e.g. US networks, by the time EDGE came along they already had pretty good 3G coverage, and haven't really bothered with EDGE. It was used to infill areas with poor 3G coverage as a stop gap.

Ironically for GSM Treo users, the iphone has provided the only real impetuous for networks to roll out EDGE on any scale - as O2 has since becoming Apple's UK partner. All other popular smartphones are 3G.

(And no, I've never managed to get a straight answer out of T-Mobile regarding EDGE coverage. Is there a tool for the Treo that can tell me whether I'm currently getting EDGE or not?)
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krpage View Post
    ...I've never managed to get a straight answer out of T-Mobile regarding EDGE coverage. ...
    I used their press department to get an answer, and they were emphatic that there was no EDGE coverage available - which seems to contradict what some unlocked iPhone users have been saying on forums elsewhere.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    As far as I know if EDGE isn't available it will use a "normal" GPRS connection - most of UK has GPRS coverage as fallback for poor 3G coverages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulster View Post
    As far as I know if EDGE isn't available it will use a "normal" GPRS connection - most of UK has GPRS coverage as fallback for poor 3G coverages.
    Well, yes, GPRS coverage is pretty ubiquitous in the UK... but given that PalmOS Treos aren't available with 3G, I guess most of us would just love to use our Treos to their full EDGE potential. From where I'm sitting, at least, "normal" GPRS is pretty slow - EDGE should, theoretically, be twice to four times as fast.