1.    #1  
    I'm going to the UK before long and plan to rent a car & use my TomTom.

1) I've got a couple cigarette-lighter power adapters & I just want to make sure I can use them to power the TomTom receiver & the phone.

2) any recommendations for a SIM provider? trip will be 2-3 weeks. the last time I checked, no one had a decent data plan on a SIM.

3) as long as I'm asking, since I'm probably bringing my laptop, how popular is wi-fi over there? how free does it get?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    1) The cigarette adaptor will work fine with the Treo 680 and TomTom receiver. Pretty universal bit of kit AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

2) I recommend T-mobile PAYG (pay-as-you-go). Data will be capped at 1.00 per day. If you don't use any data, obviously doesn't cost you anything.

3) Depends where you are going. I don't live in a city so wi-fi is pretty hard to come by where I reside.... I used to use my next door neighbours open network, but that's another story!
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Wi-Fi isn't that free at all over here. Some small coffee shops may have it but most charge.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
  4.    #4  
    thanks for the helpful replies. 1 a day unlimited data isn't a bad deal at all (am I remembering correctly that when I checked 3-4 months ago there were no reasonable pay-as-you go deals with data?) especially if I can get DUN working. thought so far that isn't going smoothly. presumably I can just find a reputable T-Mo shop someplace (kill time at the airport?)

odd about wi-fi here -- many if not most of say, the cheaper motels offer it gratis to guests. more than once on the road, I've found a neighboring business had left its connection open, e.g. a tire shop in the middle of nowhere in North Carolina.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    It's not technically unlimited, it's subject to a 'fair usage' policy which I think is around 2GB month.

T-mobile do offer a very good deal- called web 'n walk. It is a relatively new product, been out several months now. You should be able to pick up a SIM pack from quite a few places. Airports, supermarkets, carphone warehouse, t-mobile shop etc. Top-up your account via vouchers or text.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo