Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    This is annoying. The Treo has two network settings (taken from the network itself), one from t-mobile and the other is virgin.

When the treo resets the default selection is virgin. This is no use because I cannot connect to the internet with this setting, and I am unable to delete the Virgin settings. so I have to remember to change networks all the time.

Anybody else experience this? Any fixes?
    Last edited by Hicks; 07/01/2007 at 06:06 AM.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    That's not what mine does. I assume you bought it unlocked and then loaded a T-mobile SIM like I did? I've got service settings for both T-mobile & Virgin, but it stays with the T-mobile ones after a reset. Have you got the network settings locked?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    A welcome distraction from P Daddy on TV!

Yes unlocked and just inserted a t-mobile sim.

both T-mobile and Virgin are locked. Cannot delete/ modify either, just makes a copy...
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    So it does - though I can then delete the copy! I can't see anything else that could be affecting things, sorry!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Thanks for replying. Just one of those annoying 'Palm' things that I'll have to live with no doubt...

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Thanks for replying. Just one of those annoying 'Palm' things that I'll have to live with no doubt...
    It could, I suppose, be a SIM misconfiguration - it might be worth phoneing T-mobile and getting them to send a SIM update, or even a new SIM card.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Is there any way to stop the networkdb file being recreated on reset? I've played about with it using Filez. Tried selecting 'read only', 'copy protect', but it still recreates. You can delete the Virgin setting with Filez, but it comes back with a reset...

This bugs the hell out of me too.

By the way, how do you tell if you have a 3G simcard ?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    No idea. Treo 650/ 680 arent 3G devices any how. I suppose call your carrier?

That the Treo 680 is not 3G is understood.

The reason I asked was that I already had an unlocked 680 when I started a contract with T-Mobile.
    The subsidised 3G phone I got with the new contract went straight on eBay and I put the SIM card in my Treo.
    Now I'm unsure whether that was it is a 3G SIM card or not.
    Perhaps 3G SIMs have a different network order than the one 'tirk' uses ?
    Anyone discover a way to fix this ?
    Way back when I first got my 680 I was on the phone with teir 3 T-Mobile support and a Palm rep. They determined it was in the 680 not the SIM. The Treo reads the settings off. But it does not store the preferred network after reset instead going to the alphabetical first network.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    That seems strange as T-Mobile is before Virgin alphabetically!

I think I'll do as Tirk suggests and call t-Mobile for a sim update.

With my Palm registration I got a free support call and used it on this. After trying to explain the different between GPRS and Radio providers, I was told that the GPRS settings were on the SIM card.

My 650 seemed to remember when I changed the default GPRS setting.

I asked about doing something with the Net Prefs, NetworkDB or NetworkProfiles2 file but the "support" person had never heard of them. Eventually the person said "we don't need to know about Palm OS files, that's an Engineering issue" and "if you touch those files, you're breaking the law" IDIOTS! Baically, Palm support can only repeat what ever information is in the manual, I think.. ha!

Regarding the legal issue, I told the "support" person that modifying the PalmOS files is only ilegal if I redistribute the files (I have no idea) but the "support" person said "oh, you're right." Humph. This web site is the only support I'll ever use again.

-S
    Last edited by Swingstylez; 09/20/2007 at 04:41 AM.
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    T-Mobile UK sent me a SIM card update which did nothing. Also, I had to load the SIM into a support mobile phone, in my case a SE K800i.
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    Yes, I suffer this annoying problem too - I had dreams of the Treo 680 trying to use a local (faster) bluetooth network connection then automatically falling back to T-Mobile/WnW if that wasn't in range. This should work, except after a reset it forgets I "prefer" the bluetooth network. Before I had WnW this was particularly costly, as the "Ask before connecting" preference is retained over reset (i.e. if you set it not to ask 'cause you mostly have bluetooth networking, after a reset it'll automatically start using charged GPRS. Nice).

I raised it with Palm support by email, which went something like this (the Palm responses are verbatim, while my replies are paraphrased since we all comprehend the problem):

Me: (Clear explanation of problem)

Palm: I understand your issue with DUN connection on your 680. Unfortunately there is no way to set the Bluetooth connection as default. Actually DUN from Treo to PC via Bluetooth is generally not supported by Palm.

Me: I don't have a problem with DUN from Treo to PC via Bluetooth (whether it's supported or not). Restate problem clearly.

Palm: Please perform a hard-reset, see if the issue still occurs, then re-install software one at a time checking for the issue etc.

Me: I've tried a hard reset and the problem still occurs [Ed: no surprise there!]. But I've noticed that the preference is retained if the phone is turned off: as soon as the phone is activated, the preference is lost. I've done some structured testing and here are the details. Please see if you can reproduce this problem. [Ed: look, I've done your debugging for you, perhaps you'll notice I have a clue?]

Palm: Unfortunately we do not have a way to reproduce the behaviour here, which I admit is definitely strange. Would you have a chance to cross-check the SIM card, especially with another provider's SIM card ?

Me: Behavoir with a T-Mobile SIM is as I described previously, an Orange SIM also exhibits the same problem. Curiously, it doesn't happen with an O2 SIM. There's no correlation with whether the SIM is simlocked or not - I've checked this. Could you check with the carriers what the differences between their SIMs are? I'm sure they'll send you some if you don't have any. [Ed: I could send you some links for free PAYG SIMs on the web, if that's beyond a large corporation such as Palm? I thought you said it took so long to roll out new products due to the extensive carrier testing you have to go through?]

Palm: Please , what is the current state regarding the SIM cards. Does the the handheld recognise any SIM card or no networt found? what excatly happens when you insert a SIM. [Ed: typos as they came]

Me: There's nothing wrong with the SIM cards. No, really. They work in my Treo 680 - I can make calls - and they work in other non-Treo phones. The network preference isn't retained over a reset. Please read the history of this support request [Ed: sigh]

Palm: From the look of things now it means there is no problem with your Treo 680 handheld. SIM issues and network issue are basically network carrier problems and not the unit.

Me: [Ed: annoyed now, this was my actual reply] I think you must misunderstand me, there is no problem with the network, and no apparent problems with the SIM. The problem is that the Treo doesn't honour my Network Preference setting (in the Network Settings dialogue) over a reset. I can confirm that this happens with T-Mobile and Orange SIMs, because for some reason you're unable to test this at Palm(!).
    (But I have already stated the above several times - I feel like I'm going around in circles. Please carefully read all my previous emails if you haven't already. Apologies if you have, I guess I wasn't clear enough.)

As far as I can see, the problem is either because:
    (1) The Treo doesn't correctly ignore some settings imported from the SIM card, once I've set a different preference.
    (2) Orange and T-Mobile SIMs do not conform to the SIM card specification.

If you are telling me it's definitely (2), then please could you give me a contact name, phone number, and email for someone at Palm who I can pass on to T-Mobile, and the exact technical details of what is wrong with their SIM.

If the T-Mobile SIM is _within_ specification, but just has a different setting to the O2 SIM, then I expect the Treo software to work with and/or around this setting. If it doesn't, then it must be a bug, surely?

I have, today, tried several Sony Ericsson handsets with the same SIMs, and they manage to remember which network connection preference I have selected over a reset. i.e. they overcome any "problem" with the SIM that is affecting the Treo.

It would be nice if I didn't have to be the go-between between Palm and T-Mobile to resolve this problem - surely this must affect a large number of your customers? (T-Mobile and Orange alone probably cover >50% of the UK market). I'm sure T-Mobile will send you a sample SIM if you ask.

Palm: (No response.)

Which was nice.

I was an early adopter of linux on the desktop, where - for me - the benefits outweighed the lack of polish. At least one aspect of this was that if something didn't work I was able to debug, work around, or fix, a problem without having to deal with pathetic tech support like this (well, when I could be bothered - but at least the option was there!). I'm hoping the same may be true of linux on handhelds/phone, because I think Palm are doomed - there are just too many things wrong with the company and their products. With luck my 680 will hold out until then. I'm not interested in Windows Mobile.

(e.g. I despise them (and, indeed, the Treocentral forum fanboys) for telling me I don't need wifi when at the time there weren't any affordable flat rate date tariffs in the UK. I have wifi at home and work - of course I want to use it! They dragged their feet for enough years that WnW turned up, only to find that it's technically impossible for there to ever be a Garnet Treo that'll use UMTS/3G. So while I put up with WnW GPRS, of course I still want wifi!)

Apologies, this turned into a bit of a rant. Best to let it all out, eh? I guess I've been with Palm since my Palm III (...m515, T|T, Treo 650, Treo 680...), and I'm finding it difficult to let go?!

On a happier note, I've also been using the Garmin Mobile XT software on my Treo - which has it's fair share of bugs and issues (some, no doubt, due to the limitations of Garnet). However, their tech support quickly escalated me to a chap who triages bugs direclty for the software developers. We've identified and reproduced several bugs (some UK specific), and Garmin have then fixed these and pushed out updates. Well done Garmin!
    Same problem here, on Treo 680 and T-Mobile.

I searched Palm's KB and found a reference to SmartConnect from Eletric Pocket (http://electricpocket.com/products/smartconnect.html). It is able to assign a network connection to specific apps.

I have just installed it on my T680 and assigned Blazer and Versamail to T-Zones. So far it seems to work as advertised.

It's old (circa 2002) and doesn't look like they sell it anymore, but it's still available for download from the link above.

--FNdS
    Last edited by Bill Gamble; 09/28/2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Fixed link
    Fantastic, it seems just having this application on the phone and telling it that T-Mobile is my default connection is enough to fix the problem, without me even defining a network preference for any specific app.

Thankyou FNdS !

**EDIT**
    Actually, no it seems it hasn't fixed it at all. A reset will still revert the Network Preference to Virgin.
    Last edited by tomtastic; 10/10/2007 at 03:58 AM.
    For some reason, SmartConnect didn't work for me. Fortunately, I found a simpler solution and it works for me. Got hold of a program called MacroPlay, recorded a macro which would change the default network connection to the desired profile and scheduled it to be run (the program has a scheduler too) after a reset. Works like a charm.
    Hardly a solution in my opinion.
    This problem will be an annoyance for along time I suspect.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast