Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    Fantastic, it seems just having this application on the phone and telling it that T-Mobile is my default connection is enough to fix the problem, without me even defining a network preference for any specific app.

Thankyou FNdS !

**EDIT**
    Actually, no it seems it hasn't fixed it at all. A reset will still revert the Network Preference to Virgin.
    You are right. It doesn't work. I will try the MacroPlay app and see how that goes.

--FNdS
    Not familiar with the T680 but presuming it is as the T650 in this respect and you don't have any use for the other connection. Browse to your Backup file in Palm Desktop, edit the file NetworksDB.pdb in a text viewer and overwite the file in the device. Whilst the locked entries can't be deleted directly on the device this is doable without issue.

after a considerable break I find myself involved again
    Doesn't work for me, tried deleting the 'Virgin GPRS' record, but when the phone re-connects to the network it creates another 'Virgin GPRS' entry and uses that.

Last edited by tomtastic; 10/31/2007 at 09:54 AM. Reason: typo
    Doesn't work for me, tried deleting the 'Virgin GPRS' record, but when the phone re-connects to the network it creates another 'Virgin GPRS' entry and uses that.

Ah, sorry, misunderstood, they're over the air'ing you. Could possibly try making the file read only within something like FileZ though probably won't work. Seems like a poor setup for provisioning with no differentiation between T-mobile and Virgin Subscribers (same network). A logical way to "over the air" is on request of a PDP context create (GPRS session create) against an invalid Access Point.

Sorry the initial suggestion was a non starter
    Try PowerMan. It should retain your network selection after every reset.
    I'd like to know if those affected by the default network preference of Virgin are using a custom ROM?

This problem was finally resolved for me by downgrading from the custom ROM I was using, whether it's the newer firmware (1.34) or the ROM version (1.09) that caused it I don't know (I suspect something in the ROM is mucking the network profile selection up), but my phone works perfectly now and selects the T-Mobile GPRS profile everytime.

I downgraded to firmware MW1.50 and ROM version 1.04 using the images jamesgangut has kindly helped put together in the thread below :
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=144028

With more investigation it may be possible to create a working 1.09 ROM upgrade, but I've spent so much time being bothered by this that I'm not sure I'll be in a rush to do that.

If you have this GPRS problem and are using a custom ROM (i.e. one of jamesganguts) please reply and let me know.
    but my phone works perfectly now and selects the T-Mobile GPRS profile everytime.
    Does it always select T-Mobile, even if you've set the network preference to Virgin or another network (e.g. a bluetooth DUN you've set up)? It should retain the user preference over a reset.
    Yes, if I select 'Virgin GPRS MMS', then soft reset, the phone switches back on and the network preferences switch to 'T-Mobile GPRS', perhaps based on which network I registered to, or perhaps because it's selects it alphabetically from the list, who knows...

krpage, are you using a custom ROM and experiencing this problem ?
    I'm using a standard ROM. It should remember the network pref no matter what it is - and it does if there's a different SIM in the Treo (e.g. O2).

As mentioned above, there's something about the T-Mobile SIM that causes the Treo to forget the pref - Palm are quite happy to blame a defective SIM right up to the point where you actually debug it with T-Mobile (it works fine in other handsets; seems more likely to be a Palm problem). They seem to have no interest in even narrowing down the problem, let alone fixing it...

(Firmware MW01.50; Software TREO680-1.04-ROW; Carrier DB 355)
    Last edited by krpage; 12/04/2007 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added versions
    How very strange, I had the issue before and it's gone now I've downgraded to the same firmware and ROM versions that you're using, yet you are having the problem with those same versions. Bizarre indeed.

I have two friends with Treo680's, both of them on T-Mobile, both on the same plan as I am, both with default ROM versions (ROW, bought in UK) and neither of them have the problem I was experiencing. I concluded it must have been the custom ROM I was using, and downgrading certainly seems to have fixed it.
    How very strange, I had the issue before and it's gone now I've downgraded to the same firmware and ROM versions that you're using, yet you are having the problem with those same versions. Bizarre indeed.
    I think you misunderstand me. My Treo behaves in exactly the same way as yours, and always selects T-Mobile after a reset.

It shouldn't. It should remember the preference I have set. If I've set a preference of something other than T-Mobile, it should honour it.

Now I have web'n'walk it's "only" a mildly annoying bug (amongst several on the Treo). Beforehand it was very irritating day on day, and expensive to boot!
    Strange that this selection order is reversed in the 1.09 ROMs...

For those of us wanting to use the custom ROM version 1.09, maybe overwriting the network.bprc file from the 1.09 custom ROMs with the 1.04 version will ensure it keeps this better-but-still-broken behaviour for T-Mobile.

It's times like this that I dearly wish Access would open up the source code to PalmOS Garnet.
    The new ROM upgrade fixed this issue. I just installed it on my phone and the problem is gone.

See the details here: http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/treo680update/

--fnds
    Quote Originally Posted by fnds View Post
    The new ROM upgrade fixed this issue.
    Appears to have fixed it here too (though I haven't tried a bluetooth connection yet).

I suppose I should be pleased, but I can't help feeling bitter about the time I wasted being repeatedly told by Palm that the problem didn't exist and/or wasn't their fault.
    somehow it happened to me too that treo after some updates read all connections from my simcard/operator.
    all stopped working as the default connection (record number 0 in database, I will explain later) was always chosen by versamail and blazer which i sometimes use.
    Solution was easier than I thought after trying everything decided to take a quick look into files on my Treo 680.
    Simply I used FILEZ / view and edit files / internal / edit file NetworkDB there you can see all records 0 1 2 3 and each is your network setting. number 0 will be used I guess as default for Blazer and versa mail.
    i deleted all (can see name in "view" mode in each record inside) and I left only one record with my own settings. Normally Palm will not allow me to delete anything saying - it has been setup by my provider! sick!
    Now finally works great!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12