Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Does anybody know of a supplier (other than Expansys) who will offer the Treo 680 on contract? I'd prefer T-mobile because of their good data rates.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    You're gonna abandon your poor 650? NOOOOOO!
    Actually, I wouldn't mind knowing this too just in case my 650 gets crushed under a steam-roller or something.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I know, I know! I love my Treo 650, but I've had it ages! The only reason I haven't jumped ship to a different OS is because of all the great software I've bought.

Hardware wise the 650 is sooo yesterday. I've always been at the cutting edge when it comes to gadgets, and now look at me; I carry around a brick in my pocket!
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Those shiny new Nokia and Sony phones always look so tempting....until I try to actually use one! Aaaargh - just using Filez (or similar) to find and send a 'locked' file seems second nature on my Treo and yet impossible on these other mobiles.

I'll admit my 'brick' is looking a little rough round the edges these days, but I'm the sort of person who doesn't upgrade unless it's *absolutely* necessary!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I had the micky taken out of me today by a Sony K800 user! He also said my T650 was a brick!

I was hoping a T680 would tide me over until (if) Palm release a decent phone in the future... I'm still loathe to lose all my Palm software.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I had the micky taken out of me today by a Sony K800 user! He also said my T650 was a brick!

I was hoping a T680 would tide me over until (if) Palm release a decent phone in the future... I'm still loathe to lose all my Palm software.
    Hi Hicks,

I don't suppose you have found a contract yet?

But I thought I would let you know that I recently bought an unlocked 680 direct from Palm and I'm really happy with it.

I gave up waiting for Orange to take on the 680, but I'm still with them.

The 680 is a great phone and there are a surprising number of little updates/upgrades/improvements over the 650, which make all the difference
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Those shiny new Nokia and Sony phones always look so tempting....until I try to actually use one! Aaaargh - just using Filez (or similar) to find and send a 'locked' file seems second nature on my Treo and yet impossible on these other mobiles.
    Then just get a Crimson 680, and if you want it SHINY, buy a thin plastic film from http://www.bestskinsever.com/ that will make it SHINE. If have put that on my GF's Copper 680.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Hi Hicks,

I don't suppose you have found a contract yet?

But I thought I would let you know that I recently bought an unlocked 680 direct from Palm and I'm really happy with it.

I gave up waiting for Orange to take on the 680, but I'm still with them.

The 680 is a great phone and there are a surprising number of little updates/upgrades/improvements over the 650, which make all the difference
    No unfortunately I don't think any carrier will support it here in the UK (apart from Expansys as mentioned).

I can't justify paying 260 for an unlocked version (Expansys). It isn't a big enough step up from the Treo 650 IMHO.

What little improvements were you pleased with- what justified your outright purchase?

I may have to look at getting a Vodafone contract- but T-Mobile has much better data rates.

I have even considered buying a Windows device!

I did like the look of the Sony P990, but after reading through a few forums it appears to be rather unstable. Perhaps the next model from Sony with Symbian 9.5 will be the one.

What little improvements were you pleased with- what justified your outright purchase?
    - Alt Key, when you press it and there is no letter on it's left the Alt Key brings up a matrix with 28 special characters.
    - The camera defaults to your card folder after a reset.
    - You can select the "answer phone" Icon in the phone screen with the 5 way rocker.
    - If you press and hold the Launcher key it brings up a list of the last 8 apps you have run.
    - The Option Key is sticky, so you can type multiple numbers without having to keep pressing the Option key. (Like the shift key)
    - no need for VolumeCare anymore.

Plus the big one too
    - 20mb of dbcache
    Thought of the day :
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Hmm interesting. I am tempted, I must admit. If only it had a better camera though! I'm going to keep an eye on Expansys for deals- and see what comes up over the next month... Doesn't look like anybosy else in the UK will offer this- shame on Palm!

Hmm interesting. I am tempted, I must admit. If only it had a better camera though! I'm going to keep an eye on Expansys for deals- and see what comes up over the next month... Doesn't look like anybosy else in the UK will offer this- shame on Palm!
    The new Nokia N95 c/w built-in GPS receiver, 5 megapixel camera, near DVD video recording, email, websurf via wifi etc etc looks good.

In fact I would have been tempted to get one and go back to a non phone Palm pda for my pda stuff if it had come out a few months ago.
    Thought of the day :
    - The Option Key is sticky, so you can type multiple numbers without having to keep pressing the Option key. (Like the shift key)
    I thought the 650 had this when you tap Option twice?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I can't justify paying 260 for an unlocked version (Expansys). It isn't a big enough step up from the Treo 650 IMHO.

I may have to look at getting a Vodafone contract- but T-Mobile has much better data rates.
    You could always take out a T-Mobile contract with a free or cheap phone, immediately eBay the device and use the proceeds to offset the cost of the 680. There are some very nice phones offered free with even the lower cost contracts and it might be worth checking what some have been selling for - newish WM5 devices could be the best bet. Just remember that the T-Mobile branding and SIM lock will knock the value down a bit, so you'll want to look for locked rather than unlocked devices when you're doing your research.
    On a related note, do you think anyone will offer the 680 Crimson on contract? I'm still quite happy with my 650, but it isn't red .
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    You could always take out a T-Mobile contract with a free or cheap phone, immediately eBay the device and use the proceeds to offset the cost of the 680. There are some very nice phones offered free with even the lower cost contracts and it might be worth checking what some have been selling for - newish WM5 devices could be the best bet. Just remember that the T-Mobile branding and SIM lock will knock the value down a bit, so you'll want to look for locked rather than unlocked devices when you're doing your research.
    Good point That may be worth exploring

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    The new Nokia N95 c/w built-in GPS receiver, 5 megapixel camera, near DVD video recording, email, websurf via wifi etc etc looks good.

In fact I would have been tempted to get one and go back to a non phone Palm pda for my pda stuff if it had come out a few months ago.
    The N95 has really impressive hardware specs, probably the best currently available. But it's so expensive! I think it was like 200 on a contract when I looked at it. I don't think I could use two devices ever again unless I used a bum bag!

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Yep it does, like the shift key..

Not on my 650 I have to hold the Option button to get numbers.

Perhaps I've got a software compatibility problem.
    Thought of the day :
    Not on my 650 I have to hold the Option button to get numbers.
    Really? How strange.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Really? How strange.

Even more interesting, I did a warm reset and the Option key becomes sticky again, then soft reset back to normal and it's back to unsticky?

All this is on my 650. On my 680 I don't have the problem, but I do have almost all the same software, so I'm not sure what's causing it.
    Thought of the day :
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast