Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    What does one do? One place has a phone for Japan (cellularabroad), another has a worldwide SIM that apparently works around the world (Telestial-- OEM?)

Easiest, simplest, definitely- working solution? (The cellularabroad one never worked for me in Jamaica/Caribbean, nor in Mexico. (Wait; I don't remember the one in Mexico working-- I think I popped in a rental SIM in and it worked)).

Thoughts? Other boards/forums?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I don't think you'll have a problem with the 680 in Thailand. They use GSM their and any Sim card should work. Japan I think uses a version od CDMA, so I don't think the 680 will work on that. I'm not a hundred percent sure either. Last time I was in Thailand, my Verizon (CDMA) Treo was useless, but my brother was able to pop in prepaid sim card into his unlocked gsm nokia without any problems.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Edited to include the link...

Unlocked GSM will work fine in Thailand. If you have Cingular service, check this thread at MDTN -> http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/to...html#msg346038 . Thailand uses non-standard GSM frequency paitings, and that can confuse the Treo. No big deal if you can manually select the search bands, but CIngular SIM removes that option. The end result may be that you have a hard time reconnecting to Cingular when you get back home. This thread has a solution.

Note too that in Thailand, when you put in the Thai SIM, you may need to manually try the 2 GSM bands to get it to connect if it does not find a network on "Auto" band select.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Got it. But, if I remove the Cingular SIM (unlocked Treo), that doesn't apply does it, if I get a SIM, or...?

It sure looks like the Telestial would work in both countries. At least, I hope so.

Thanks.
    it will apply when you get home and put the cingular SIM back in... also, I'm pretty sure that a GSM phone will not work in Japan...
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Yeah, that's the emails I'm getting from the vendors. But, why would they list Japan on their "International" SIM cards; is it a specialized band or something, or...?
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Oh I see, it's WCDMA in Japan; I thought we were the only crazy-standards country!
    I just returned (to the U.S.) from Thailand. Got a local SIM for my Treo 650. Cost about US$3, and another $10 for a 1-2-CALL pre-paid calling card. Popped in the SIM, the nice (cute) young lady behind the counter activated it for me, and I was making calls. No problems with frequencies. Even data worked the first time I tried it.

No experience with Japan though, sorry.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info. Is there a brand I should look for; or where I should go?

That's what, like 150 baht?

Thanks!
    Last edited by iomatic; 01/21/2007 at 03:08 PM.
    Sorry, I wish I could remember more of the details, like the brand. I left the SIM with my father-in-law in Bangkok. I got it in a little shop (one of about 100 selling phones and SIMs) across the street from The Mall Bangkapi. Phones, SIMs and prepaid cards are abundantly available in any commercial area

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    That's fine. Any luck with data?

That would be sweet.
    I think the brand of the SIM was AIS, but I'm not totally sure. $3 US is about 105 baht at the current exchange rate. And yes, data worked as soon as I inserted the SIM, with no additional configuration.

So, when are you leaving? Business or pleasure?

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Pleasure. How does the data affect usage rates, etc.?

Would be nice to check email and info, etc.