1.    #1  
    I'm vacationing in Thailand right now and would like to use dial-up networking with my AIS 1-2-3 prepaid card. Treo data works fine (evidence this post), but I don't know the dialing config (phone number, username, password, modem init string) for my laptop. Anyone?

Also, if anyone knows how to send an SMS to the U.S. from a Thai mobile number that would be helpful too.

Thanks.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I'm assuming you're on a GSM treo? How did you get data to work? You swapped out the sim card for a prepaid? I was over there not too long ago and it was too much of a hassle to get data to work for me so I just picked up a cheap cell phone and used prepaid minutes (Happy brand).

I was able to text to the US, I think I just punched in the country code (001? don't remember) and then the entire phone number. some phones like the nokia I was using, you just put the + then the number and that worked for me, so + 212 555 1234 for example. would dial new york city. Enjoy your trip!
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    I use this setting with AIS post-paid.
    Phone number : *99***1#
    User : ais pass: ais
    no modem initstring.
    You can use + or 001 and US number when you send SMS to US.
    Enjoy your trip.
  4.    #4  
    I love this forum! Thanks for the replies, guys.

For data, I just popped in a 100 baht prepaid SIM into my Treo 650 and it worked. The default network config settings were fine.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I hope you and your family are safe there. Heard about the bombings, hope you were no where near there. Safe and happy New Years.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    In spite of those bombings Bangkok is a remarkably safe city. I sincerely hope this is an isolated incident. I always worry about another Bali happening.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the well wishes. We were actually 100 miles out of town, on a bus to Koh Chang, when we heard about the bombings.

We're back home in California now. I never did get DUN working. I think it was because of configuration problems on my laptop (a MacBook), rather than my Treo. I made do with Blazer for blog posting and emails - a major pain in the ***.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    How much data do you get? I mean, what are the rate charges, etc. Unlimited? Speeds are typical GPRS/EDGE?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mcdan333 View Post
    I love this forum! Thanks for the replies, guys.

For data, I just popped in a 100 baht prepaid SIM into my Treo 650 and it worked. The default network config settings were fine.
  9.    #9  
    I didn't really keep track of how much data I used. It's not unlimited, but if you stick to checking email and browsing WAP sites it's not expensive either. I probably used $40 for the whole 2 weeks I was there, including voice calls, and email/WAP sites a few times a day. As I said, I never got dial-up networking though (see thread subject), which would have driven my data costs up. Yes, speeds were typical GPRS/EDGE.

I thought you'd left already, iomatic. Have a great trip.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Mid-March...soon! I'm getting sick of being in the States... just itching to get away; the world is a bigger, more interesting place than NA.

I'll see if that AIS setting works; also thinking about Koh Samui or some other resorty/beachy place. Doubt I'll get EDGE there, but who knows?

I got DUN working with my MBP so we'll see.

Thanks.
  11.    #11  
    I can't speak for Koh Samui, but if you're willing to go a little further (4-5 hours from Bangkok by bus, about twice as far as Koh Samui), Koh Chang is fantastic. There's alot to explore there, plenty of options for sleeping and eating, beautiful scenery, and not too commercialized (yet). And I got voice+data everywhere on the island.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM