Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Oh what to do

Do I go pay-as-you-go until the next Palm OS smartphone comes out (probably the Treo 680)? But this could be longer than 12 months knowing how long these things usually take.

Or do I upgrade to the Sony P990 for 50.00 and lose my favourite apps like SplashMoney and SplashID, TT Nav 5 etc etc. Orange just can't offer the data deals like T-mobiles web-n-walk.

There just aren't any other smartphones out at the moment that take my fancy. I'm quite anti-windows at the moment as I've just bought a mac, so the Treo 700W on Vodafone isn't particularly attractive.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    I'm on the O2 sim-only deal at the moment for 25. You get 200mins of talk time and 1000 SMS (or 250 MMS, which use 4 SMSs) plus you get 1 meg of data too. I'm sure I've used more than 1meg on a few occasions and never been charged for it. There is just a 1 month contract so you can stop very quickly.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    I'm on the O2 sim-only deal at the moment for 25. You get 200mins of talk time and 1000 SMS (or 250 MMS, which use 4 SMSs) plus you get 1 meg of data too. I'm sure I've used more than 1meg on a few occasions and never been charged for it. There is just a 1 month contract so you can stop very quickly.
    Is that an on-line deal? A 1 month contract sounds interesting!
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Yes it's online only so you don't receive a paper bill. Most of the GPRS settings loaded in automatically when I inserted the simcard too. Just had to adjust the MMS ones a bit.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Oh what to do

Do I go pay-as-you-go until the next Palm OS smartphone comes out (probably the Treo 680)? But this could be longer than 12 months knowing how long these things usually take.

Or do I upgrade to the Sony P990 for 50.00 and lose my favourite apps like SplashMoney and SplashID, TT Nav 5 etc etc. Orange just can't offer the data deals like T-mobiles web-n-walk.

There just aren't any other smartphones out at the moment that take my fancy. I'm quite anti-windows at the moment as I've just bought a mac, so the Treo 700W on Vodafone isn't particularly attractive.
    Ring T-Mobile, you can get their SIM only contract (one month) plus WnW for 15 GBP / month. That's 50 xnet minutes and all the data you can eat (as long as you take small bites).

Beck
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Right here's what I've done....

Claimed on Orange Care and got a brand new shiny Treo 650 (shift button was stuck). This cost me 15.00. Already re-flashed it. Need to buy a new battery as the buggers didn't swap that or the battery cover. Anybody got a cheap supplier in the UK for a battery? EDIT~ ORDERED FROM EXPANSYS SEIDO EXTENDED for 27.00.

Unlocked it on 650unlock.com (excellent service- don't even need to sync to computer) for 9.88.

Ramped Orange contract down to PAYG.

Bought T-mobile PAYG sim card for 0.50. I can still port my number. Charges are excellent! 12p to any network any time. If you spend over 20.00 per month then you get 20% credit back. First 3 times you top up by 10.00 you get 2.00 back (I think) and as for data.... 0.79p per kb- which is CAPPED so that it will only ever cost you 1.00 for a days data. Orange was 0.40 minute to other networks and 0.20 to landlines/ same network- PAYG data from them isn't worth talking about!

I've decided to ignore the upcoming Treo 680- as it's not much of an upgrade.

Next step is to purchase a 2GB memory card (20.00 from Amazon) to make up for having so little on board memory!
    Last edited by Hicks; 10/23/2006 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Info on the battery

Right here's what I've done....

Snip

Bought T-mobile PAYG sim card for 0.50. I can still port my number. Charges are excellent! 12p to any network any time. If you spend over 20.00 per month then you get 20% credit back. First 3 times you top up by 10.00 you get 2.00 back (I think) and as for data.... 0.79p per kb- which is CAPPED so that it will only ever cost you 1.00 for a days data. Orange was 0.40 minute to other networks and 0.20 to landlines/ same network- PAYG data from them isn't worth talking about!

another snip
    I looked at T-Mobile PAYG too but even with capping the 1 /day for data was a problem (I use data every day, email and RSS mostly). So I rang T-Mobile CS and asked if the SIM only contract could have WnW attached for the normal 7.50/month. To my surprise the answer was yes and since the SIM is free I now have a month by month contract SIM which gives 50 xnet minutes for 7.50 plus WnW for a total of 15/month.

Check out this page (its under "price plans/special offers" -
    http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher...sonal_sim_only

If the call costs are okay with the monthly SIM you can always dump the PAYG (nett loss of 50p) and go with the monthly.

Why do we have lots of choice of (relatively) cheap plans with T-Mobile and none with Orange. When I first moved to OUK it was because of good cheap plans (I still have a OVP contract SIM with a calls only charge that Orange will have to pry from my cold dead hand to get back).

Beck
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I looked at T-Mobile PAYG too but even with capping the 1 /day for data was a problem (I use data every day, email and RSS mostly). So I rang T-Mobile CS and asked if the SIM only contract could have WnW attached for the normal 7.50/month. To my surprise the answer was yes and since the SIM is free I now have a month by month contract SIM which gives 50 xnet minutes for 7.50 plus WnW for a total of 15/month.

Check out this page (its under "price plans/special offers" -
    http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher...sonal_sim_only

If the call costs are okay with the monthly SIM you can always dump the PAYG (nett loss of 50p) and go with the monthly.
    That looks a good deal. I think I'll try the standard PAYG sim deal initially; but if I find myself using too much data I'll swap to this 30 day contract with Web & walk.

I've just arranged for Orange to port my number. I bet once I'm with T-Mobile on their standard PAYG I can't then port it to the deal you've described!

The only thing I currently regret about leaving Orange for, is the Orange Care. I'll have to ensure i look after my latest Treo 650!

For anybody wanting to unlock their Treo 650, I can certainly recommend http://650unlock.com.

Thanks for your input Becks

Oh what to do

well, I use a mac and have done for years and wouldn't class myself as a windows lover either but I bought a 750v unlocked off ebay and it's pretty good. I probably prefer palm still but it's lagging way behind WM5 at the moment and looks like it will take a long time to catch up..if it ever does.
    WM5 is a pretty decent o/s in my opinion.

palm-mac
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I'm still reluctant to jump ship; I just don't have the time to learn a new OS, and find nice new applications and stuff. Admittedly Palm OS is outdated at the moment- but it's still pretty good for what I want it for.

I've also had a bad experience trying to set up my bosses MDA Vario which has put me off Windows! If I was going to jump it would probably be with Symbian at the moment. The Sony P990 tempted me for a while

I'm still reluctant to jump ship; I just don't have the time to learn a new OS, and find nice new applications and stuff. Admittedly Palm OS is outdated at the moment- but it's still pretty good for what I want it for.

I've also had a bad experience trying to set up my bosses MDA Vario which has put me off Windows! If I was going to jump it would probably be with Symbian at the moment. The Sony P990 tempted me for a while
    I have a P990i that I've hardly used if you're still interested in Symbian......