1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if it's possible to use a Treo 650 with T-mobile UK's web 'n' walk unlimited (i.e., 2 GB/month) data service?

A sales rep told me web 'n' walk was designed to work with 3G phones, which I understand the Treo 650 is not. He said it should work on GPRS phones as well, in theory, but he didn't know where to find configuration settings, or any of the particulars I would need to configure it to work in reality as well.

Much appreciate any advice.

Thks,
    algal

p.s. By the way, isn't it a pity that now that an unlimited data plan has finally arrived in the UK, the Palm Treos have been abandoned by the European carriers so the only way you can use those plans is with the clunkier Windows mobile devices? My wife still blames me for giving her the idea of buying her Qtek 9100, which she hates.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Many of the phones on web n walk are actually GPRS enabled and not 3G, so they should work fine. Just check out T-mobiles website and look at their phone specs.
    Last edited by Hicks; 09/05/2006 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I also think that the Teo 650 will get all the network settings automatically from the network. You may just have to call T-mobile and 'data enable' your sim card.

Somebody more knowledgeable than I, may actually have the manual settings. Anyboby?
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I also think that the Teo 650 will get all the network settings automatically from the network. You may just have to call T-mobile and 'data enable' your sim card.

Somebody more knowledgeable than I, may actually have the manual settings. Anyboby?
    Thanks for the tip! As far as settings go, all I could find was another thread here on treocentral where someone explained the mms settings:

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Open the Mesaging app and select 'Preferences...', then select the 'Network' tab and set 'Network Configuration' to 'Manual'. Click on 'Edit...' and make sure the NetworkProfile is set to the T-mobile GPRS connection. Also check the MMS Message Server is http://mmsc.t-mobile.co.uk/
    Now all I need to figure out is if I can get T-mobile to give me some discount for bringing my own phone instead of picking up a new one...
    Why not just get a free handset from t-mobile and stick it straight on ebay?

Don't forget you also need to unlock your Treo. Otherwise I'm not sure it will work if it's currently on Orange.
    Lido
    Treo 650, UK
    T-Mobile do a SIM only "contract", 50 mins for 7.50GBP / month. Maybe they will add W&W to that.

Update

They will allow WnW on the SIM only contract, so for 15 GBP/month you get all the web you can eat and 50mins of xnet calls.
    Last edited by Beck; 10/16/2006 at 04:30 PM. Reason: News update