1.    #1  
    Some thing very peculiary happened to my treo (600) last week. I have seen this problem reported by some one else before and I even remember some one providing a solution a long time ago. but I can't find that thread now. Here is what happened. I was on my way back from the US to India and had a transit halt in Bangkok airport. So the last I used my treo before reaching Bangkok was on AT&T Wireless in US (a 1900 Mhz network). When I powered it on in Bangkok - it would show me only one network available - Thai Mobile 1900. I could not connect to this network because my service provider doesnot have a roaming arrangement with them. I know there are three other networks in Thailand (DTAC?? or some thing else) that work on 900/1800 Mhz bands and that my service provider has roaming arrangements with. But my phone would not even show me any other network in "Select Network" list. I was also carrying a blackberry and the blackberry did show me all the 4 networks. Reseting the phone (Soft and then hard out of frustration) would make no difference.

This problem of "prefering" a 1900 Mhz network (when that is one of the many networks available) has been reported before in these forums some time ago and some one had recommended a solution (if I am not mistaken it was some hash code to wake the phone out of its slumber). Does any one remember?
    Satish Joshi
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Did you try to manually select the search band after a failed auto search?
    I'm pretty sure that would have worked.
    Recently, in Trinidad, Digicel lauched their GSM network to compete with Cable and Wireless' bmobile network. Since then, some users of quad-band phones (including myself using my unlocked PalmOne 650) only show the Digicel network on the 1900 band after an auto-search. An investigation betwwen the companies and the local telecom authority reported that the problem was with the programming of some of the older SIM cards (like my bmobile SIM). It's a minor hassle until I get a new SIM but all I do after a reset is to initiate a manual search on bmobile's 900/1800 band after the auto search is complete. Next time, give it a try...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Look at this thread, specifically the last few posts...

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,34628.0.html
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Thanks robbalaza!
    For others: In summary, there are specific issues with the networks in Jamaica and Thailand...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    Thanks robbalaza!
    For others: In summary, there are specific issues with the networks in Jamaica and Thailand...
    ...Which can be worked around by selecting the appropriate frequency pair manually in the phone app...

It sounds like Digicel has done the same thing, so it may not be just Thailand and Jamaca anymore...
  6.    #6  
    Thank you robbalaza and every one else for the solution. I am going to create a note and put it into the memo pad on my treo. The next time I am in these exotic places, I won't have to feel cut off from the world.
    Satish Joshi
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Digicel and bmobile both use the standard frequency pairings so the problem is not the same as for Thailand and Jamaica. It is as I have described above.
    How expensive is a Treo 650 in Mumbai? When I was there last year, I paid a ridiculous amount for a Nokia 9210i(?).