1.    #1  
    I see alot of people complaining about paying $40 a month for unlimited data usage on their phones and I just envy you. Here in Canada we have ridiculous rates for data. $60 for 15mb and $100 for 100mb!!! The provider is Rogers btw. Even when I look at Cingular, which has a plan for $29.99 (or around there) for unlimited data, I totally wish we could get it for that price. So when will our money hungry providers start bending over for us.
    yeah, when? good question. I have the 60$/15mb option with Rogers, and it is rather expensive. I am going to downgrade the data option until they give us better prices.
    - Jeeman
  3.    #3  
    ya... so stupid. how fast do you use your 15mb's per month?
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevich
    I see alot of people complaining about paying $40 a month for unlimited data usage on their phones and I just envy you. Here in Canada we have ridiculous rates for data. $60 for 15mb and $100 for 100mb!!! The provider is Rogers btw. Even when I look at Cingular, which has a plan for $29.99 (or around there) for unlimited data, I totally wish we could get it for that price. So when will our money hungry providers start bending over for us.
    While I do see your point about the high voice & data price plans being offered in Canada in comparison to our American neighbours you must realize our markets are not the same. For one there is far less competition in Canada than compared to the USA with several little carriers spread across their country. The differences don't stop with local cost as roaming can be an issue too. My brother that lives in San Francisco is with T-Mobile and wishes he had a roaming agreement not just for the USA but also worldwide similar to what Rogers provides customers. I did a recent comparison between the Canadian carriers and Rogers still is cheaper than either Bell or Telus for their data plans. Though for minor browsing with out a data plan Bell beats Rogers while roaming in the USA at $0.03/kb as opposed to $0.05/kb. If you're on a data plan with Bell or Telus be cautious as their per MB for overage of their data plans is more costly than Rogers. Consumers tend to not check the fine print when looking at carrier websites. This is evident when one looks at the churn rates carriers experience due to consumers either not listening or believing they see something that is not advertised. Such as the word "Unlimited" has been used far to often by carriers that tend to hide an explanation in the fine print that states what is classed as normal usage allowed by the carrier. Even though I dislike MyMail it's good to know with it email while roaming in the USA is cheaper than either Bell or Telus. With a GSM carrier unlike Bell or Telus that are CDMA there is no need for a roaming coordinater when traveling. I just get on a plane and go anywhere, anytime with my quad band GSM Treo. So you see while I do agree things could be better especially for data plans it's also good to find that pricing is not as bad as some people experience. If all you do is stay in one city for the rest of your life and occassionally send email or browse the net then you may not have something to complaine about. Though if you roam outside your local calling area using a high amount of voice & data then you'll find it's the network coverage as well cost you'll incur is a valid concern.
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 05/22/2006 at 12:28 PM.
  5.    #5  
    uhhh.... Bell and Telus are both cheaper than Rogers. Plus, while Rogers is still on Edge, hopefully rolling out UMTS, Bell and Telus are on 1X or EVDO. An "unlimited" data plan on Bell, which is about 250mb or so, is around $100 while on Rogers you would be paying in excess of $200 or $300 a month! Rediculous none the less. Wish we had more companies up here.
    Monopoly. With Rogers' bought out of Fido, they can charge whatever they want. Until the rules are looser with foreign cellular ownership, nobody is coming to Canada.

Also, we aren't as populated as the US, so there's less of us to pay for the services thus the higher prices.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevich
    uhhh.... Bell and Telus are both cheaper than Rogers. Plus, while Rogers is still on Edge, hopefully rolling out UMTS, Bell and Telus are on 1X or EVDO. An "unlimited" data plan on Bell, which is about 250mb or so, is around $100 while on Rogers you would be paying in excess of $200 or $300 a month! Rediculous none the less. Wish we had more companies up here.
    Please point to links where you see either Telus or Bell being cheaper. Are you possibly not reading the fine print which is typically misleading such as Bell's misuse of the word "unlimited" and Telus which has a $60/year data network connection charge..what ever that's for..lol. For those that travel you may want to also consider what you'll be paying for roaming, which as I read it on each competitors sites Rogers is still cheaper for roaming globally compared to either Telus or Bell. What's good to know is that all three competitors are trying to continually beat each other such as Bell which recently released a $10.00 "Unlimited" text messaging package even though it's capped at 2500 messages. So Rogers then decided to release their own $10.00 (2500 sent/2500 received..note no charge for receiving sms while local or roaming globally) sms package. I'm still waiting for a true unlimited data plan that is low cost similar to our American neighbours
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 05/28/2006 at 01:36 AM.
    Fido always had a $50/month unlimited data plan, but I never used them because of their poor national coverage. When Rogers bought Fido, I switched to Fido and signed up for the unlimited data plan. I now have that plus better coverage on the combined Rogers/Fido network. Unlimited data is a great thing because I sometimes use GPRS for dial-up networking on my laptop.

I don't know if you can still get the unlimited data deal from Fido. I'm expecting Rogers to figure out a way to try and get me off it.
    They took unlimited data off shortly after Rogers bought off Fido. Hang onto your plan for dear dear life. Unless you ever wanted to switch from Fido then you could probably sell your plan for a few hundred.

Still...

Rogers:
    $15 = 1.5MB
    $25 = 3MB
    $40 = 7MB
    $60 = 15MB
    $100 = 100MB

Fido:
    $5 = 0.5MB
    $25 = 5MB
    $50 = 25MB
    $75 = 50MB
    $100 = 100MB

What gives eh?
    I guess I don't understand the "Canada is a smaller market" argument when it comes to explaining data rates. Isn't this the same network that carries voice? Aren't Canadian carrier voice plans very competitive (if not better) than corresponding US carriers?

If the Canadian carriers, in our smaller market, can compete head to head with US carriers on voice, why is data an order of magnitude more expensive??
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS
    If the Canadian carriers, in our smaller market, can compete head to head with US carriers on voice, why is data an order of magnitude more expensive??
    I guess it might be like landline telephone service. Telcos used to make a limited profit on the local service, but made the big money on long distance. Competition in the LD market changed that, and the telcos had to adjust their pricing to remain competitive.

The lack of number portability in Canada (for the time being) puts consumers in a difficult position. If you want to retain your number, you have to stick with your provider, at which point, they have you by the short & curlies when it comes to data plan rates. At least GSM phone owners have a choice between Rogers and Fido (even if it's the right and left hand of the same company), whereas Telus and Bell clients have to switch phones if they want to make a change.

I also think that the marketing of data usage on cellphones in Canada is different from in the US. SMS (which had a brief marketing push a few years back) is not part of the data packages, and email on a mobile device is likely seen as the exclusive domain of Blackberry. Rogers, Bell, and Telus are putting a heavy emphasis primarily on television content and MP3 downloads in their marketing campaigns (they also mention web browsing, but it always seems to be 3rd in the list of things to do on the phone). Notice that they don't make any mention of email. My guess is that people who sign up for these plans pay overage charges on a regular basis.

I know Rogers offers plans where you can download a preset number of songs per month, but I am guessing that their target demographic for that service is in their teens and early 20s, who don't always respect their plan's limits; thus they get dinged big time at the end of the month.

Knowledgeable users, who'd like to do email on their phone, probably don't want (or need) to download songs to their phone and have no viable "package" available to them. Part of this is due to the fact that individual email messages can vary greatly in size, whereas TV clips and MP3s are a little more predictable in the bandwidth they use, so packages can be more easily offered.