1.    #1  
    I'm an US-based Verizon Wireless Treo-650 user. I'm traveling on vacation to the UK, Italy and France at the end of the month for about three weeks.

Prior to Verizon, I was a T-Mobile customer, so I have a GSM Treo 650...my question is this - if I rent an "International" GSM phone from Verizon would I be able to put the SIM from that phone into the GSM Treo 650 and use it abroad?
    Yes. I am presuming that your 650 is unlocked since you used it with T-Mobile. Have you looked into getting a sim card while in Europe on one of their networks. It may turn out to be cheaper.
  3.    #3  
    My 650 is unlocked. Any ideas on how to get a sim card in Europe? I like that idea, just not sure how to do it...
  4.    #4  
    Does a GSM only SIM card exist, or if there is GPRS data available on the network with the GSM SIM card allow access?

The long version of the story is this - as posted in the International SIM Card thread, I'm traveling to the UK, Italy and France at the end of May. I'm a Verizon Wireless Treo 650 (CDMA) user, but I have an unlocked Treo 650 that I used to use on T-Moblie.

Through Verizon, I can rent a Blackberry for international use that includes GSM and GPRS references in the description, but this is expensive - $15 per day. I can also rent a GSM phone (various Nokia models) for about $3 per day, but there is no data reference on their web site. If I were to rent the GSM phone and put the SIM in my unlocked GSM Treo 650, would I be able to access GPRS data (in the UK, Italy, and France)?
    GPRS (in colloquial usage) is a CLASS of SERVICE provided by the carrier
    (for which one has to pay, depending on the provider, etc.)

GPRS, from this standpoint, is analogous to VoiceMail, or Call Forwarding,
    or Roaming, or Caller ID, or Block Caller ID, or International Dialing... Some
    of these may be free, some bundled with the "plan" and some "value added"
    as extra...

At a metaphysical level, a SIM card has nothing to do with GPRS... It (SIM)
    merely identifies you to the service provider.

Provided your phone can handle GPRS data, and provided your contract with
    the carrier allows you to, you can use GPRS to connect to the internet and
    what have you...

- mvk
    Game over!
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    <merged>
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by westjohnson
    My 650 is unlocked. Any ideas on how to get a sim card in Europe? I like that idea, just not sure how to do it...
    In the UK you can buy them from a variety of sources. From supermarkets to dedicated phone shops such as Orange, Vodafone or the Carphone Warehouse.

For a PAYG (Pay As You Go) sim card pack it will set you back about 10.00. This cost usually includes 5.00 worth of credit on the SIM.

Bear in mind that data charges are rather high on most PAYG SIMS within the UK. I think Orange is still about 4.00 per MB (using GPRS).
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by westjohnson
    Does a GSM only SIM card exist, or if there is GPRS data available on the network with the GSM SIM card allow access?

The long version of the story is this - as posted in the International SIM Card thread, I'm traveling to the UK, Italy and France at the end of May. I'm a Verizon Wireless Treo 650 (CDMA) user, but I have an unlocked Treo 650 that I used to use on T-Moblie.

Through Verizon, I can rent a Blackberry for international use that includes GSM and GPRS references in the description, but this is expensive - $15 per day. I can also rent a GSM phone (various Nokia models) for about $3 per day, but there is no data reference on their web site. If I were to rent the GSM phone and put the SIM in my unlocked GSM Treo 650, would I be able to access GPRS data (in the UK, Italy, and France)?
    If you bought a PAYG SIM pack in the UK, this would enable you to use GSM for phone calls and GPRS for data transfer. When you register the SIM with your chosen provider, be sure to get the SIM 'data enabled' so that GPRS is turned on.