Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I moved to Orange because they offered the Treo 650 but network coverage is patchy in my area so I'm thinking of moving back to Vodafone. My Treo 650 was unlocked by Orange but I was wondering as Vodafone don't support the Treo would changing the SMS/MMS and GPRS settings to theirs cause any problems? My only other concern is that Orange is likely to have the next version of the Treo first in the UK. Could anyone please share their experience of using an Orange Treo on another network? Thanks
    I'm planning on switching to O2 when my contract expires with Orange in May. I have the same problem with patchy reception and O2 seem to be quite good around here (southampton). Plus, O2 do a great 'sim only' deal at 25 a month for 200mins, 800 texts & 1meg of data. Only thing I'm not sure of is how to go about keeping my number when I switch.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply. You can very easily take your number with you. Just call Orange and ask for your PAC code.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heterodoxos
    My Treo 650 was unlocked by Orange but I was wondering as Vodafone don't support the Treo Thanks
    Well Expansys sell the Treo 650 with a vodaphone contract so they must support it some way. In my experience they are helpful, so why not give them a call - expansys I mean..... they would probably be able to give you the correct settings
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heterodoxos
    ...I was wondering as Vodafone don't support the Treo would changing the SMS/MMS and GPRS settings to theirs cause any problems?
    Shouldn't do, I'm using a Treo 650 on Vodafone, although it's a standard GSM unlocked one rather than an ex Orange phone
    I purchased my 650 on contract with Orange as well. I unlocked my handset (using an internet-based service), "upgraded" to ROW firmware and have been using my Vodafone chip ever since -- works like a charm. I will cancel my Orange contract in May as well.
    I purchased my 650 on contract with Orange as well. I unlocked my handset (using an internet-based service), "upgraded" to ROW firmware and have been using my Vodafone chip ever since -- works like a charm. I will cancel my Orange contract in May as well.
    What service did you use and how much did you have to pay?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I've been with Vodafone for a year now with the unlocked version GSM Treo 650. never had any problems with it. I also have an orange sim card that I occasionally use. I just swap them and off I go. the only setting I have to change is the voicemail number - vodafone is 121, orange 123. GPRS works automatically, if not it is simple to setup. Not sure about sms settings though.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    About a month ago Orange called me and asked if I wanted a new phone (my contract was about to expire). I told them that there wasn't any handset out at the moment that I wanted so they offered me an unusual deal! They put me on a 6 month contract at half price.

I hope that that will tie in nicely when and if, the Hollywood is released.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    If I moved to O2 from Orange, what would I need to change on my phone besides getting it unlocked?

My guess so far is that I will have to manually enter the GPRS and MMS settings. They are 'Orange Internet' and 'Orange MMS' at the moment.

Also, I think I will have to change the outgoing mail server for my email account because it's set as smtp.orange.net at the moment. My phone seems to enter this automatically when I setup an email account, so do I need to change something else in my custom ROM to get rid of this too?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    What service did you use and how much did you have to pay?
    I used jtunlock, but not from their website; I purchased on eBay and paid via PayPal. Total cost = 12.50.

See thread
    If I moved to O2 from Orange, what would I need to change on my phone besides getting it unlocked?

My guess so far is that I will have to manually enter the GPRS and MMS settings. They are 'Orange Internet' and 'Orange MMS' at the moment.

Also, I think I will have to change the outgoing mail server for my email account because it's set as smtp.orange.net at the moment. My phone seems to enter this automatically when I setup an email account, so do I need to change something else in my custom ROM to get rid of this too?
    Yup, SMS number, MMS settings, email settings (SMTP) and connection (GPRS) settings will need to be updated to reflect the settings of the network that you join.
    SMS number? Would this stay the same if I kept my phone number when migrating?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I just unlocked my phone using Thefonedoc. Total cost: 9.82!

The process went really smoothly. I tried my flatmate's Vodaphone SIM just to check and it worked perfectly.

If you're at all nervous about trying this, don't be. As long as you follow the instructions, you won't have a problem.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    SMS message centre number would need to be changed from the Orange number to O2 (or whichever). This is where your texts get sent from your phone before they are relayed to the recipient.

The process went really smoothly. I tried my flatmate's Vodaphone SIM just to check and it worked perfectly.

If you're at all nervous about trying this, don't be. As long as you follow the instructions, you won't have a problem.
    I think that's the best price I've seen yet!
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    My email account used to be set up as smtp.gmail.com for the outgoing server and it worked ok, so it doesn't necessarily need to be set up as smtp.orange.net.

I wouldn't be surprised if the orange settings are actually taken from the network and not the ROM. My custom ROM is wholly un-orange and yet mine defaults to those settings also.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Well, I've switched to O2 and found out a few interesting things along the way:
    • The GPRS network settings are automatically changed on the Treo when you put the O2 SIM in and turn on the phone. Orange settings have disappeared.
    • The SMS message centre number also changes automatically
    • I had to change the voicemail speed-dial number to 901
    • I had to manually enter the 'MMS Gateway Address' and 'MMS URL' in the Network Preferences for the Messaging program. They are 193.113.200.195 and mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002 respectively.
    • I had to change my outgoing mail server in versamail to smtp.o2.co.uk
    Overall, I am very impressed with O2:
    • Picture messages can be sent using my inclusive texts (1 MMS=4 SMS messages).
    • There is only one GPRS network setting so I no longer have the MMS sending issue where I had to change between 'Orange Internet' and 'Orange MMS' (useful for you, Hicks).
    • My package includes 1 meg of data every month AND they've given me 30 days of free data usage this month!
    • GPRS connects faster than orange and seems to generally run faster when browsing.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)

OT, but I unlocked my Treo 650 with Thefonedoc last weekend. Worked like a charm, and their email customer service was super-prompt. Highly recommended -- find them on eBay. I've just switched to a Virgin Mobile Sim-only deal, btw. 10 one-off payment with no monthly charge, 10p/SMS, 0.5p/Kb and payment by Direct Debit -- so no top-up hassle.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Well, I've switched to O2 and found out a few interesting things along the way:
    • The GPRS network settings are automatically changed on the Treo when you put the O2 SIM in and turn on the phone. Orange settings have disappeared.
    • The SMS message centre number also changes automatically
    • I had to change the voicemail speed-dial number to 901
    • I had to manually enter the 'MMS Gateway Address' and 'MMS URL' in the Network Preferences for the Messaging program. They are 193.113.200.195 and mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002 respectively.
    • I had to change my outgoing mail server in versamail to smtp.o2.co.uk
    Overall, I am very impressed with O2:
    • Picture messages can be sent using my inclusive texts (1 MMS=4 SMS messages).
    • There is only one GPRS network setting so I no longer have the MMS sending issue where I had to change between 'Orange Internet' and 'Orange MMS' (useful for you, Hicks).
    • My package includes 1 meg of data every month AND they've given me 30 days of free data usage this month!
    • GPRS connects faster than orange and seems to generally run faster when browsing.
    Good post Checkmate. May come in use if I swap networks. Sounds like you've struck a good deal with O2.

I must admit my loyalty to Orange is slipping. They do provide a good service; but you pay for it Their ridiculous sounding talk plans also irritate me: I mean seriously, who dreamt up Raccoon, Dolphin and Canary talk plans!

Interesting point over the MMS sending issue. It still bugs me having to manually change the settings over to receive a MMS! Wonder why Orange have two different settings....

The only thing that puts me off O2 (and other providers) is the cost of data bundles. Their talk plans are good; and much of a muchness to some degree. I currently use an OVP O2 price match with Orange (on a remarkable 6 month half price Orange contract at the moment; until the next device is released).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast