1.    #1  
    I need to go to Western Europe/UK for 10 days and have and unlocked GSM phone on T-Mobile in the US. If anyone else travels a lot to Europe and has any tips on GSM roaming (unlocked) and/or use of Worldcards, etc. I'd love to hear from you.

Right now I will likely just roam with T-Mo at $1 per minute for voice and I think its .015 per KBs for data. I have found several Worldcards but once I convert from sterling or euros and factor in monthly fees it does't seem worth. And most of them don't have data plans.

Can anyone tell me if T-Mo roaming is the way to go or if there is a more cost effective SIM card to get that will give me better rates across Europe with both voice AND data?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Must be cheaper to get a European pay as you go SIM. They cost 5 in the UK, ar every widely available, and work across Europe. You would have a new number though.....
  3.    #3  
    Yea the voice is easy. Its finding a SIM with data too. Any thoughts on a voice/data SIM? No worries about a new number.
    I'm currently in the UK and Western Europe and will be here for 21 days b4 returning home to NY. I have T-Mo. The t-mo roaming does work perfectly, but it can be expensive and for data service..it's just not realistic. I had called t-mo and they said the data was .015/k and so basically $15/1mb. That's really, really expensive. I have goodlink and even without downloading the attachments, i hit that 1mb very quickly. As I'm here so often and I have friends here as well, I bought a sim card about 2 years ago for 10pounds and now i add money to it (pay-as-you-go) in increments of usually 5pounds and 10 pounds. it's much cheaper and you don't use money for incoming calls (they're free). for people in the uk, it's not an int'l call for them to call you. Texts are only 10 pence each..again cheaper than the .35 using roaming. Also, keep in mind that if you turn your US sim on and you have v-mail, they charge you for delivering the notification.

Finally, I believe the t-mo rep told me that the minimum data charge is 25k (but i'm not sure how that works)...25k each time you use any data, etc.

I desperately need a data option because i'm here and in western europe often, but i can't seem to find an option.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Wayne. Sounds like there are no easy options. I am just roaming for now, albeit, the rates are outrageous. I may pick up a pre-paid card afterall and just wait to get emails at the hotel. One good thing about T-Mo is that it was seemless in terms of getting/making calls here in the Netherlands. Strong signal as well.

I use Chatteremail and have all mailboxes disconnected and just connect manually to get headers. We'll see how that goes....
    hdtv4me, one more thing you should know...although the Treo will auto search for networks and you will receive a text message saying "welcome to xyz, etc." it's always a good idea to call t-mo or check their website to see which companies they have preferred arrangements with. For example,, i was coming from Brussels to the UK and while in Paris, the phone auto-selected Orange..but Orange wasn't t-mo's preferred provider. I don't know if I had allowed it to use Orange if I would have still gotten the same preferred rates i was suppposed to get. I usually do call/check t-mo's website and then ask who the preferred carriers are.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
  7.    #7  
    Good advice, thanks. I am flying into London and then up to Glasgow later in the week so I will be sure to check. In fact, I'll check when I go to Norway later today and Finland on Thursday. So far the Netherlands has been a no-brainer and the T-Mo signal is very good. That said, Skype-out has been my friend in the hotel. .02 cents per minute is tough to beat.