Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck
    Here's an update from today (18 May) from Orange UK Data CS -

-Quote-
    Dear David

Thank you for your mail

I can confirm that unfortunately Orange does not support EDGE with the Treo 650 handset. You are able, however, to use the GPRS network with this handset. In order to be able to use EDGE with a compatible handset, you do not need to update your SIM card in any way; this will simply be enabled when you are in an area which supports the EDGE service.

-Unquote-

Any idea if I dump the Orange firmware will I get EDGE support from the general GSM firmware?

Thanks, Dave Beck
    Fairly sure that it won't make any difference. I've removed all of the Orange branding from my device and I don't get any EDGE support.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyMacaroni
    Cheers Alex - let us know how it goes.

Thanks Ehsan - Seems like Orange need to catch up with TMobile else I'm off to them when my current contract expires in a month or so.
    well, after a couple of weeks of useage I can never seem to find an Edge connection. According to the Sony manual, a little "e" appears next to the signal strength when it is active. I've never seen this "e" in Edinburgh (surely there must be edge coverage in Edinburgh?) but did see the "e" appear briefly in Aberdeen last week............does this mean that Orange's edge coverage is pretty non existent?
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    According to the Sony manual, a little "e" appears next to the signal strength when it is active. I've never seen this "e" in Edinburgh (surely there must be edge coverage in Edinburgh?) but did see the "e" appear briefly in Aberdeen last week............does this mean that Orange's edge coverage is pretty non existent?
    Not sure how much that means, though, I've never yet had the little GPRS triangle appear on my 650 (though I use GPRS), so I dont expect I'll see an 'e'.
    I get the little triangle all the time. I was on Orange until this week, now I've moved over to O2.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I'm with Vodafone and have never seen one (on this phone, though my T68i, on the same plan, showed it all the time).

I read somewhere that some 650s don't show it, though no-one seems to have come up with a reason for it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Not sure how much that means, though, I've never yet had the little GPRS triangle appear on my 650 (though I use GPRS), so I dont expect I'll see an 'e'.
    well, I get the little "g" to indicate that gprs is alive and well so that obviously works...I'm assuming therefore, not unreasonably, that if the "e" appears it means that I'm in an area where edge is working.
  7.    #27  
    I've heard that both 02 and TMobile have EDGE up and running. Any idea which I should swap to for coverage and reliability? Orange seem hopeless.
    I'm on O2 so how can I test my connection speed or tell if I'm using EDGE?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I use the following web address with blazer http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed?jisok=1
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  10.    #30  
    Thank Hicks- the most I've been able to get using this speed test on my 650 with Orange a/c is 37Kbit/sec, whereas other contributors have reported getting 120 or so on TMobile. But what is the coverage like on TMobile? An although Orange purportedly have 150 EDGE sites in the UK, no one has yet reported getting EDGE speeds here on an Orange 650.
  11.    #31  
    Don't know about Orange firmware & EDGE, but I would dump it anyway as it lacks functionality in most areas
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12