1.    #1  
    Hello there,

I'm just getting started with my new (to me) treo 650. Next week I'm traveling to Argentina. How do I enable my phone to function down there? Do I buy a card down there? Ask Cingular what to do? Can I keep my number?

Help me Obi-Wan(s)....

thanks in advance,

seth
    If your GSM 650 is unlocked then you should be able buy a prepaid SIM use it. Try calling Cingular and explain to them what you need.
  3.    #3  
    Cool! Thanks. Hopefully I'll get someone a little more knowledgeable than last night when I added my data plan. Sheesh. All she could do was read the names of the plans back to me. No knowledge at all!
    But, I digress...

I'll call cingular now. Thanks.

seth
  4.    #4  
    Just got off of the phone with cingular. Basically, my phone should work in Argentina with it's existing SIM card. The rate for 'world connect' is 65 cents/min. No monthly fee. Not bad. They also said data is no extra charge, as I have the unlimited plan. I plan on calling up one more time to double check that quote.

So, anyway, there you go. Or, there I go.

cool,

seth
    Did you ask them if they could unlock your phone so you could use the prepaid SIM in Argentina to make local calls?

Using your Cingular SIM is ok but may be expensive on long calls.

You need to compare local Argentina call rates vs the 65cent per min call from Cingular.
    I travel to Agrentina and Brazil quite often. Cingular would not unlock my phone so I went to unlockcellular.com and did it myself. My phone works using the existing SIM card and roams fine but now I can use local SIM cards with a local number. Saves my company quite a bit on my international roaming.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sethro
    ...They also said data is no extra charge, as I have the unlimited plan. I plan on calling up one more time to double check that quote.
    What did you find out about this? My understanding is that even with an unlimited data plan, you must still pay $0.0175/kb to use data outside the US.

Thanks