Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    I have always been early to install leaked ROM's, and have never had serious issues so far.

However - this time I'm reluctant to upgrade because of all the reported problems with the 1.71/ 1.20 ENA ROM. At present my phone is 1.43/1.13 ROW, and I'm not having any problematic issues with it. Maybe I experience one SR prprpr $week$ $with$ $it$.

European users - have you successfully upgraded your unlocked GSM?
    - Do you see the SMS timestamp bug?
    - What about the smiley problem in SMS treading view?
    - Anybody sucessfully performed the upgrade as described by Palm? ...I mean upgraded, and restored from backup without installing apps again - one by one?
    - GPRS issues?
    - Blazer issues
    - Other issues?

It seems like the new ROM addresses just some "minor" issues. Does someone of you notice any real improvements?
    - BT quality?
    - Sound quality and loudness?
    - Memory handling?

(The reason I open this new tread is to possibly exclude carrier issues from Asia/Auz, USA...)

BR JoranG ( from Norway)
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
  2. iso
    Fellow norwegian here!

Yes I have an unlocked GSM with 1.20 ENA. The upgrade has been a success I think. On the positive side better signal strenght, better voice volume, faster and more responsive operating speeds. On the negative side I have had several Blazer resets after entering the application, smileys are gone from the SMS-app, and lost all my categories from DateBk6..

Overall very pleased though!

Christian
    Hamar
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Thanks Christian for the supporting post. I'm constantly in need of my Treo the next week - due to traveling (Sogndal). I'll upgrade in a week or so

Did you restore from backup, or build your RAM from scratch? Heard that most users had probs with restoring saved and unsaved prefs from backup...

Do you experience the timestamp bug? think it results in random sorting of the SMS'es in Message treading... I'm with Chess (Telenor coverage. Which carrier do you use?

Regardig smileys - read this:http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=497

Jøran
    Kristiansund
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    I upgraded my 650 (originally bought on Orange in the UK, but patched immediately to unlocked GSM firmware) to 1.20 this week.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother - I'm seriously considering going back to 1.13. The main reason is battery life - the 1.20 firmware seems to hammer the Treo's battery - it looks as if standby battery life has maybe halved with 1.20 compared to 1.13. I think it is due to the Bluetooth changes - the 1.20 firmware leaves the Treo connected to my car kit permanently while in the car - the 1.13 firmware used to only turn the BT link on when in a call. My Treo alleges that it was switched on for 2 hours yesterday (according to BatteryGraph) - I reckon that an hour of that was keeping the BT link powered up while in the car (with the screen off.)

II've noticed no real improvements with the new firmware - I think I'll go back to 1.13 over the weekend.
    The only improvement I've noticed is the slightly faster rendering of webpages on Blazer. On the downside, Blazer has reset a number of times and I've had a few text display errors.

I also seem to have LESS RAM available after the upgrade.

I think in light of this and the potential battery issue, I may downgrade to 1.13 aswell.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    guys, dont downgrade. really, the update definitely is worth keeping. just get a spare battery and keep a charged one handy. no matter how heavily you use your treo, it will always last you the whole day and generally there's always an opportunity to recharge your treo every 24 hrs.
    well, i am just plain happy with the upgrade, better memory handling and improved bt being the 2 most worthwhile betterments.
    JUST buy a second battery? That's an easy and cost-effective solution.......
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    hi checkmate,
    an extra battery shouldn't be necessary if you give your treo a good charge every day. so, if you consider buying spare battery too expensive, disciplined regular recharging of your treo should do the job and you'll always have sufficient juice for enough time.
    a spare battery just gives confidence and can be a saver, just in case a lot of things go wrong. i like being on the safe side. i mean, i've been through enough palm smartphones with inbuilt batteries and have often had to open the devices, thus nullifying the guarantee, everytime i needed to change defect batteries. so once the treo650 came out, i simply got myself an extra battery to enjoy the practicalness of easily exchangable batteries.
    To be honest my treo Battery has rarely reached half-way since I got it, so the battery life isn't really an issue. However, I really like technology that is as efficient as possible and I'd like to know I can listen to MP3s all day and not have to worry about the battery dying on me.

The main reason for the downgrade though, was I just got fed up with Blazer resetting with the new firmware.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    well, i have read here and there about the blazer problem that occured after the update. i think it is discussed a bit somewhere in this forum. i myself seem to have been spared from this problem. who knows, maybe it is because of the stripped rom which i am using or maybe something else. hope you find a solution to your problem soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx
    guys, dont downgrade. really, the update definitely is worth keeping. just get a spare battery and keep a charged one handy. no matter how heavily you use your treo, it will always last you the whole day and generally there's always an opportunity to recharge your treo every 24 hrs.
    well, i am just plain happy with the upgrade, better memory handling and improved bt being the 2 most worthwhile betterments.
    One of the things I liked most about the Treo was that the battery would last a week of typical use - I hate having to recharge things every day, not least because it shortens the overall battery life. My old Nokia 6310 had a battery life of at least 2 weeks - the idea of charging your phone every day just seems wrong to me!

Oh, and last night I checked - BatteryGraph definitely reports time spent while connected to the car kit as "on" time. This means that a 4-5 hour journey in the car is likely to completely flatten the Treo's battery - not an improvement in my book. Given that the only improvement I've noticed is that the Treo now doesn't crash when I start up my VAIO laptop (which powers up BT, wakes the Treo and then shuts down BT - the Treo then soft-resets a few minutes later) I'm going back to 1.13 this afternoon - the battery life issue with 1.20 isn't acceptable for me.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I updated to 1.20 with original ROM by palm and, after FAT32 beeing found, updated with a custom rom deleting all but 2 languages and adding some progs (diskussed in another thread).
    I didn't notice the battery issue, as my treo is in cradle once or twice a day. I have a spare battery, but till now (after owning the treo for nearly a year) I never had to use it (but it's good to have one!).
    I had some resets after leaving blazer until I followed the tip of skybert, who deleted textplus (i only deactivated it). Since then, I had no resets with blazer or other web progs.
    BTW I use german language.
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    I've also gone the same route as you conum except from using english language. FAT32 is working fine.
    Only hitch so far is that FAT32 makes my Treo incompatible with SplashBlog.

Is anyone of you noticing that Blazer loads 10-15kb - than halts - continuing say after a approx 20sek halt... A bit annoying when surfing TC :|
    JoranG