1.    #1  
    I'll be spending one week in Tokyo next month. Verizon says no service.
    Are there ways to use my phone in Tokyo?...without spending an arm & a leg!
    Thnx All
    I believe the answer is no, because they have different cellular networks that aren't compatible.
    I was in Tokyo just two weeks ago and the phone part of the Treo 650 does not work there. There is no signal reception since, as explained above, they use a different cellular system. A colleague of mine from Germany had a UMTS phone he can use in Europe, the US and Japan. I hope to see that on a Treo in the not too distant future.
    Quote Originally Posted by emuyshondt
    I was in Tokyo just two weeks ago and the phone part of the Treo 650 does not work there. There is no signal reception since, as explained above, they use a different cellular system. A colleague of mine from Germany had a UMTS phone he can use in Europe, the US and Japan. I hope to see that on a Treo in the not too distant future.
    Doesn't UMTS use a GSM and not a CDMA ?
    I assume most know this, but it sound like there might be some confusion here. Your colleague had a GSM phone that supports UTMS which is a high-speed cellular data format that has not yet been rolled-out in the US. The phone portion of and tri- or quad-band GSM device will work worldwide wherever there's GSM coverage (almost everywhere). I believe the UTMS data devices now appearing overseas are also backward compatible with plain GPRS data. If you use Sprint or Verizon you will (almost) certainly not be able to use your Treo as a phone outside of North America. GSM Treos will work most anywhere, but whether you pay a lot for roaming or not is between you and your carrier...
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...