1.    #1  
    I think some of the people on this board need to be a little more tolerant of newbees that ask questions without searching. I donít consider myself to be new at this point, and hopefully people think Iíve given them some pretty helpful information when I can. I know I've received some of the best info I could ever find right here thanks to most of you. No offense, but it really really gets me when others, and especially a newbee insults other newbees. Let me explain.

Doing a search here, especially for someone new, is first, not the easiest thing to do as Iíve done it and come up with thousands of responses. Most of which have nothing to do with the topic I was searching. Second, when people find this forum they are so excited about it they think itís great just to get on and ask a question. (Yes, you have a post about searching, but Iíll bet you almost nobody looks at it first thing). I know that the regulars get tired of seeing the same questions asked over and over again and thus can create smart aleck answers that only help to make people hurt or mad and thus we could be loosing the next person who can figure out something you really might need to know, but the newbee thinks they are asking it for the first time. It is outright rude to just answer a post with some of the responses posted here. Why does it hurt some of you to see double posts? I would think that only the owners of this board should respond to double posts, and Iíll bet they have the common courtesy to be nice about it. Example of a rude answer that didnít need to be posted: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=98356 One answer is from a person with only 2 posts.

Believe me, itís ruder than not searching first. Another thing about searching. Iíve done searching and come up with threads that donít exactly answer what Iím looking for, and itís already got 8 pages to it and is 4 months old. I have posted at the end of the thread and have never received an answer on those, because it is so long, itís never looked at.

Iím hoping that if youíre old enough to have a Treo, youíre old enough to have some common courtesy and if someone asks a question that they couldíve found by searching, do a search for them and post the link to the answer, and then explain how you searched. Because searching can be much more difficult than following this board.

We all know this is the greatest board there is for finding out information on the Treo. When someone does something that you donít think is right, why not take a deep breath and then help the newbee become an essential part of the community?

Now, go ahead and insult me if you have to, but this thread deserves some thinking by some of those around here. The written word cannot always be seen by the other person as a joke or serious and is usually taken seriously and can be hurtful. Just an observation from someone here for about 4 or so months. Again, I love the board, and love some of the obiously funny replies. It's the hurtful ones I'm writing this about.
    Last edited by RickMG; 10/22/2005 at 10:39 AM.
    Well said!
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Great post!!!
  4. ils
    I agree. People can always ignore what they don't want to reply. And some of the posts I've read indicate the posters are not always computer literate.
    So, give them a break.
    Pretty please?
    The irony is that those who most often complain about "polluting" the board with unnecessary posts are those who have actually contributed vast quantities of needless posts complaining about the phenomenon or narcissitically aggrandizing their own, often weak or incorrect, contributions.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    interesting point, maxy!
    I gotta have more cowbell
    And, to add insult to injury, the search feature is very weak on this BBS: No boolean searches, no case sensitive phrases ..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    the search feature is very weak on this BBS
    Agreed... but it's the standard vBulletin search engine and offers us little or no configuration options.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Thanks RickMG, these things have needed to be said for quite some time. I thought your phrasing was excellent without being flamboyant, as we have seen.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    Thanks RickMG, these things have needed to be said for quite some time. I thought your phrasing was excellent without being flamboyant, as we have seen.
    Thanks John, just hope it helps explain to people how things seem for some of us.
    OUTSTANDING POST! (and gutsy)

For MY first post here I was royally flamed - and it was for a question I didn't even ask!

Since then, I've resigned myself to being a reader/lurker. (There is such a wealth of information here.)

Thanks for putting into words what, I'm sure, MANY feel.
    I totally agree. I try to jump on those "newbie" post and give good info before some new members impression of the board is colored by a rude "GO SEARCH" post.

Half the time to answer someones question I'll have to go looking threw the threads for 20 minutes using different key words that turn up little results. It may be a thread that I posted in months ago so I'll skim my subscribed threads till I find it. So I can see how it may be almost impossible for a new member to find the info they want.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxy
    The irony is that those who most often complain about "polluting" the board with unnecessary posts are those who have actually contributed vast quantities of needless posts complaining about the phenomenon or narcissitically aggrandizing their own, often weak or incorrect, contributions.
    Well said!!!
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.