Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I am. I really am. Seriously, I have to check in on New Posts several times a day!

I am going to try to wean myself down to checking in only once a week. I believe that would be normal usage. I'm going to start slowly though. I vow to not return until 24 hours from now. After that, I'll wait 48 hours, then 72, and so on.......until I can wait a full week between visits. Hopefully I'll cure my addiction soon. I'll be checking in here and posting my progress.

See you all in 24........
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    R U Addicted to TreoCentral?
    Yes
    Yes! I shouldn't be (I'm happy with my Treo and applications), but I am.

I fiddle around with the Treo more than with my PC!! Like the okd days of DOS when we were always loading high and optimizing low memory vs extended/expanded memory...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Yeah. I check it several times a day. I just always need to know what the latest little issues/fixes/tricks are.
    I once was. Now I think I have pretty moderate usage.

Strategeries for breaking a TC Addiction:

1: Swear off politics and religion discussion threads. This, like much of the conversation that happens in these threads, is a no-brainer. ba-dum-dum.
    2: Get a fulfulling job that takes up much of your time. Boring job == spending time on the boards.
    3: Quit fiddling with your Treo. Go a couple of weeks without installing anything. without updating any apps. Without futzing around with the settings of zlauncher or what-have-you (I, *gasp*, am using the default launcher). If you're not constantly trying to tweak stuff, you don't need to constantly need to talk about tweaking stuff.
    4: Go cold turkey. It works.
    5: Decide you're now a "searcher" instead of a "browser." No more "all new posts" Just come and search for stuff you're curious about.
    6: Subscribe to threads. Instead of checking everything to make sure you're up to date, just check your subscription page.
    7: Make friends in meat-space instead of cyber-space. That gal in the cubicle next to you, she wants to go to lunch and talk about football. That guy down the row, he's been hoping you'd talk to him about the weirdo in accounting. You know the one.
    8: (edit) Get a new drug. Someone once told me (and I've never been able to verify it) that Freud found a wonderful cure for Heroin addiction, a little drug called Cocaine. Go get yourself a good RSS reader and fill it up. The next time you want to kill time on the internets, you've got a big list-o-stuff on a wide array of interests.

Yes, I found this thread via "New Posts." Nobody's perfect.
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 10/14/2005 at 02:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus
    I once was. Now I think I have pretty moderate usage.

Strategeries for breaking a TC Addiction:

1: Swear off politics and religion discussion threads. This, like much of the conversation that happens in these threads, is a no-brainer. ba-dum-dum.
    2: Get a fulfulling job that takes up much of your time. Boring job == spending time on the boards.
    3: Quit fiddling with your Treo. Go a couple of weeks without installing anything. without updating any apps. Without futzing around with the settings of zlauncher or what-have-you (I, *gasp*, am using the default launcher). If you're not constantly trying to tweak stuff, you don't need to constantly need to talk about tweaking stuff.
    4: Go cold turkey. It works.
    5: Decide you're now a "searcher" instead of a "browser." No more "all new posts" Just come and search for stuff you're curious about.
    6: Subscribe to threads. Instead of checking everything to make sure you're up to date, just check your subscription page.
    7: Make friends in meat-space instead of cyber-space. That gal in the cubicle next to you, she wants to go to lunch and talk about football. That guy down the row, he's been hoping you'd talk to him about the weirdo in accounting. You know the one.
    8: (edit) Get a new drug. Someone once told me (and I've never been able to verify it) that Freud found a wonderful cure for Heroin addiction, a little drug called Cocaine. Go get yourself a good RSS reader and fill it up. The next time you want to kill time on the internets, you've got a big list-o-stuff on a wide array of interests.
    Great Advice.

Yes, I found this thread via "New Posts." Nobody's perfect.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Funny to see this thread; I was just thinking about forum addiction the other night. I was in my garage late at night and couldn't stop thinking about a few discussions here and couldn't wait to get back! I find myself checking for new posts......alot.

I'm sure we've all noticed there are many, many different forums out there where there alot of people with pretty high post counts; the craziest stuff too

I wonder if anyone has every did a study on "Discussion Forum Addictions"?
    Certainly, there are worse things to be addicted to, but I do beleive that Forum Addictions are a very real thing.

Not to get too analytical, it's just a pretty common internet addicition, but funny how discussion forums seems to be more compelling. Must be because of thier participative nature

....Hi, my name is Jeff and I have a problem......

Edit: Oh, and by the way, just to keep a line drawn, I don't get on the internet on Sundays. Church & Family time only!
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone-Ike
    Edit: Oh, and by the way, just to keep a line drawn, I don't get on the internet on Sundays. Church & Family time only!
    How do you check your fantasy football scores?
    I'm back!
    Not me, I think forum addiction is a myth and I'll be watching this thread 6-7 times a day just to see how many agree with me!
    Yep, I am in TC way to much. I drive 600 to 700 miles a day and I'm in TC several times a day on my Sprint/T650 while I drive around the US.

Chuck
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    How do you check your fantasy football scores?
    Don't play
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone-Ike
    Don't play
    What do you do during the week at work from August to January???
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    The mobile forum is my blaser homepage so I can get new post quickly. I don't make a lot of posts: but, I'm here browsing six times a day. More on weekends.

Is there a forum junkie support group? "Hi I'm Bill and I'm a TreoCentral addict."
    I'm not addicted. I can quit anytime I want to.
    Okay, okay! I give up. I can't quit...
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Admitting there is a problem is the first step to recovery . . .
    I am addicated. I am online so much using my 650 that my wife thinks I am having an affair!!!
    I have been stuck on a very slow moving freeway traffic (10-15mph) and my Treo and TC keeps me from getting bored.
    I keep on waiting for the post which will get my treo knowledge closer to perfection.....of course that time comes and goes every night...when I have to sleep. darn it....

cruise control set to 62ish on the pa turnpike in the right lane of course is beautiful...provides about 40 solid uninterrupted treocentral minutes from allentown to mid-county toll. cars pass me as I grow nerdier.
    Remind me not to be on the road the same tim as you guys.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast