Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I actually find this whole concern (aka Post Count Envy) rather amusing to watch. It reminds me of a "mine is bigger than yours" mentality. In fact I didn't even know this whole not counting posts even became a new policy until I read this thread.

But to answer your question.....the Other Handhelds Forum actually does deal a lot with Treo and Palm. Yes it does have threads dedicated to other phones........but it often times deals with Treo members questions and concerns with migrating to a new platform or OS. It will compare features, pros, and cons of a newly released phone to the latest Treo version in order to help members confirm that the Treo is right for them or not. It has given many Treo members the opportunity to ask questions about "The Other Side Of The Fence" amongst Treo users with a Treo perspective. If the new rule is to only count posts in Forums that actually deal with the spirit of the Treo Community I feel that this forum certainly deserves recognition for the value it adds to this community.

.......Just my rambling thoughts.
    It's not my post count I enjoy, it's the basement dweller's. I like the competition of the 3 or 4 posters that have thousand of posts.

I don't understand why the post count was removed from O/T. It's not like we're working on curing a cancer - it's a cell phone forum.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I actually find this whole concern (aka Post Count Envy) rather amusing to watch. It reminds me of a "mine is bigger than yours" mentality. In fact I didn't even know this whole not counting posts even became a new policy until I read this thread.

But to answer your question.....the Other Handhelds Forum actually does deal a lot with Treo and Palm. Yes it does have threads dedicated to other phones........but it often times deals with Treo members questions and concerns with migrating to a new platform or OS. It will compare features, pros, and cons of a newly released phone to the latest Treo version in order to help members confirm that the Treo is right for them or not. It has given many Treo members the opportunity to ask questions about "The Other Side Of The Fence" amongst Treo users with a Treo perspective. If the new rule is to only count posts in Forums that actually deal with the spirit of the Treo Community I feel that this forum certainly deserves recognition for the value it adds to this community.

.......Just my rambling thoughts.
    I don't think it has to do with post count envy, it has more to do with putting the focus back on Treo's. Since this rule has been enacted I have seen more posts helping newbs. And yes Hobbes I agree with your statement about the "Other Handheld" forum, I feel it does help TC members better understand the other side of the fence.
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    It's not my post count I enjoy, it's the basement dweller's. I like the competition of the 3 or 4 posters that have thousand of posts.

I don't understand why the post count was removed from O/T. It's not like we're working on curing a cancer - it's a cell phone forum.
    It was to get the focus back on Treos and it is working as far as I can tell.
    cats go meow and dogs go woof and cows go moo...weeeeeee i'm so smart...okay back to my studies
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I concur with Jmil, it's a bit of both a bit of both. The OT has gotten a little stale and we are reaching the end of of tricks for the Treo 650. So we could always take a different tack and help some of the nOObs with their "problems". Just a thought.
    This is very true. OT has gotten stale, unfortunately, I think removing the post counts from OT has kept some of the more entertaining OT'ers from posting there. I always liked the fact that OT could be a lightning rod, it was good to see the debates on a wide variety of topics.

At the same time, the 650 forums became a bit stale as well since the 650 is now a mature product and a lot of the early bugs have been worked out. It just seems like we're getting the same threads over and over and over again ("Show us your ZLauncher theme!" or "What are your must-have apps?"). Hopefully the recent release of the 6700 and the announcement of the 700w (and probably soon to follow 700p) will get things going again.

I really like this forum, I don't want to see it die from boredom.
    I'm back!
    Wow how nice of you to offer such a helpful suggestion for the good of the forum. So noble.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Wow how nice of you to offer such a helpful suggestion for the good of the forum. So noble.
    Who pissed on your Wheaties?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    How does adjusting post count focus on Treos? It seems that it is detracting from the Treo right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    How does adjusting post count focus on Treos?
    It doesn't. It's a petty tantrum IMO.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Who pissed on your Wheaties?
    You did by being the catalyst for such a ridiculous change. Why did you suggest it and what did you think it would accomplish? Are the people you targeted with your suggestion now the premier helpful posters in the treo specific areas?

Cmon share your motivation for the suggestion. Havent seen that posted anywhere yet.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  11.    #31  
    You did by being the catalyst for such a ridiculous change. Why did you suggest it and what did you think it would accomplish? Are the people you targeted with your suggestion now the premier helpful posters in the treo specific areas?

Cmon share your motivation for the suggestion. Havent seen that posted anywhere yet.
    Really? Was nrg the catalyst for this change? Please indicate post or thread, I got to see this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Really? Was nrg the catalyst for this change? Please indicate post or thread, I got to see this.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=94695

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    my favorite post from that thread.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...9&postcount=17

Apparently there is now a limit to the number and type of OT threads that can exist.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    my favorite post from that thread.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...9&postcount=17

Apparently there is now a limit to the number and type of OT threads that can exist.
    Really, a limit? Where did you see that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Really, a limit? Where did you see that?
    Cmon ronbo,did you read it?

From that post
    There does seem to be too many "games" in the OT forum.
    Seems pretty clear.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    cats go meow and dogs go woof and cows go moo...weeeeeee i'm so smart...okay back to my studies
    and pigs are pork and bears **** in the woods
  17.    #37  
    What's worse?

Post whoring to increase your post count - or - worrying that people are post whoring to increase their post count?

For whatever reason it does appear insertion, claire, etc. do enjoy a really high post count. So what?! That is what makes O/T interesting. They are interesting. I guarantee you more thought/effort goes into many of the threads here than in the general Treo forums. Some people write friggin disertations here and all you get in a general Treo help forum is "perform a soft reset", "hit ##3377". Getting offended by these posters b/c they're answering a silly word game multiple times is ridiculous.

Bring back O/T post counts.
    Cmon ronbo,did you read it?

From that post

Seems pretty clear.
    I don't consider that as setting a limit as none was specifically stated. I view it more as an opinion. You and I are entitled to interpret James Hromadka posting as we see it.
    I think there are too many word type games. hard to tell which one I'm in anymore. I'm but a munkee afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    I don't consider that as setting a limit as none was specifically stated. I view it more as an opinion. You and I are entitled to interpret James Hromadka posting as we see it.
    I'd accept your interpretation as sound if the the thead hadnt been closed on that post. James was clearly setting the limit with his actions.
    — Ed Howdershelt
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast