Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I saw being discussed in another thread.

I think post count is supposed to reflect senoirity. I did to me when I first arrived here.
    It's relative, I guess. Insertion has 7000+ posts, but has only been a member since January of this year I think.

So he's not really a "senior" member in time, but he posts a lot and occasionally offers advice and help when he's not munking someone's avatar or harassing the noobs.

Now that the post counts aren't tied OT threads, you'll see everyone's counts go up MUCH slower. I'm glad I got my 1000 when I did.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG

I think post count is supposed to reflect senoirity. I did to me when I first arrived here.
    I'm sure you know my opinion then...

But why should it reflect seniority? It is what it is, a count. Nothing more. Just a nonsensical number.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    My English teachers always told me, "quality, not quantity." To me, seniority is a combination of date and posts. Insertion posts a lot in OT but in the other forums he's (usually) very helpful. Except for Marcus I don't know anyone else here that joined in Sep 1999 and is still around. I haven't even reached 1000 in the forums (yet), but most of my writing is on the main TC site anyways. I wish there was an article count.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG

and what having "seniority" mean in TC?? I mean does it really matter how many posts one has.........I think not
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    and what having "seniority" mean in TC?? I mean does it really matter how many posts one has.........I think not
    I think my point was, when a noob shows up and asks a question, the answerer's(SP?WORD?) post count would reflect knowledge with their post counts. Silly maybe, but that is the way I viewed it when I joined.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    I am actually in agreement with you on something!!

Seriously though, does it matter? It's not like it'll get me promoted at work, or I'll have a line of scantily clad hispanic and asian babes awaiting outside my door every day (oh wait, I do already...)

In the grand scheme of life, who cares??

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I am actually in agreement with you on something!!

Seriously though, does it matter? It's not like it'll get me promoted at work
    No but if they find out your post count you might get DEmoted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Seriously though, does it matter? It's not like it'll get me promoted at work, or I'll have a line of scantily clad hispanic and asian babes awaiting outside my door every day (oh wait, I do already...)
    Your Photoshop skills are far more valuable.
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Quote Originally Posted by JHromadka
    No, wait, let's hear him out about this "scantily clad" thing. He may be onto something!
    I'm back!
    My English teachers always told me, "quality, not quantity." To me, seniority is a combination of date and posts.
    I think seniority really is just your date of membership. The number of posts reflect just that...your number of posts. If you have more than someone else, now it means that you have more posts in the forums other than Off Topic.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Post count must mean something. Since post in other forums don't count towards your post count, post count must stand for something.
    How many of those little phone icons do I have to have before I get the scantily clad babes?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599
    Post count must mean something. Since post in other forums don't count towards your post count, post count must stand for something.
    You actually raise an interesting point. Having said that, I'm not sure if the action that TC took (restricting post count increase to certain forums) necessarily implies that it means something important. It could just be that it meant something to a certain group of users (perhaps those that posted quite a bit in the off topic areas) and so TC took some action that would discourage those from posting simply to increase their post count.

Then again, one thing that would support your assertion is that TC recently decided to add the phone/treo icons to users that have managed to amass large numbers of posts (many in a fairly short amount of time). That does seem to imply that there is some importance given to users that simply have large numbers of posts (the idea is probably that it correlates roughly to wisdom/experience).
    Last edited by paulsjmail; 09/07/2005 at 06:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    How many of those little phone icons do I have to have before I get the scantily clad babes?
    I think that is Insertion's next goal.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    You actually raise an interesting point. Having said that, I'm not sure if the action that TC took (restricting post count increase to certain forums) necessarily implies that it means something important. It could just be that it meant something to a certain group of users (perhaps those that posted quite a bit in the off topic areas) and so TC took some action that would discourage those from posting simply to increase their post count.
    I am sure it has something to do with that. The implication appears to be that Off Topic is not quite as important as the other forums that count posts (and in some ways it probably is true.)

Thank you sir, and I guess while we're at it, I'm still working on the other project, but it is (as I'm sure you're aware) a very slow process.

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    The implication appears to be that Off Topic is not quite as important as the other forums
    That is the implication. We're a Treo site first and foremost so naturally we'd rather see Treo-centric posts.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    It could just be that it meant something to a certain group of users (perhaps those that posted quite a bit in the off topic areas) and so TC took some action that would discourage those from posting simply to increase their post count.
    Exactly.

Then again, one thing that would support your assertion is that TC recently decided to add the phone/treo icons to users that have managed to amass large numbers of posts (many in a fairly short amount of time). That does seem to imply that there is some importance given to users that simply have large numbers of posts (the idea is probably that it correlates roughly to wisdom/experience).
    I had the Treo icon idea just as a way to liven up the place and to add something new to the forums. Now they are harder to earn.
    Houston - EST. 1836
    MarkEagle: "That is the implication. We're a Treo site first and foremost so naturally we'd rather see Treo-centric posts."

I have no issue with that but a little warning would have been nice (I could have gotten busy in the Off Topic forums.) As it is now, it will be a year before I can get to my 3rd treo icon. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast