Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 161
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    I'd like to give my .02 on this - from a BUSINESS perspective......................................................
    Pamela

    Oh my, you're validating post count as something meaningful..........it means ZIP, zero, nada. Does making people feel good about hitting milestone post counts help anything at all here????
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    Oh my, you're validating post count as something meaningful..........it means ZIP, zero, nada. Does making people feel good about hitting milestone post counts help anything at all here????
    Umm, when the whole goal is to run a business on the domain, yes, it does.

    They aren't eating all the bandwidth on these forums out of the goodness of their hearts.

    Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
  3. #103  
    I don't care about posts counting in the OT forum at all (I rarely post there), but the moderation level and attitude has definitely gotten too heavy handed lately for my taste.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  4. #104  
    I couldn't care less about the post count for Off Topic posts. Personally, I use the Join date to determine who has been around. Most of the folks here are newbies (high post count or not). And I look for quality of the posts versus quantity.

    Thousands of posts about NOTHING is still NOTHING. Twenty posts about something IMPORTANT outweighs 2,000-3,000 or more posts playing word games.

    I've been around for a while. I can tell substance from fluff. I would think most other people can, too.
    --Inspector Gadget

    "Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

    Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  5. #105  
    My observation is that some of us take ourselves too seriously.

    What we all have in common here is that we all landed here for various reasons and have become part of a community.

    Each and every one of us come from very diverse backgrounds around the world and each of us brings value, be it technical knowledge, thoughtful discussion, games, humour, mourning, sadness, hurt feelings from time to time, assistance to disaster victims around the world and at home, alternate points of view and so on... all part of being a community.

    I for one greatly enjoy helping people and making people smile and laugh. If that's of no value to some of my fellow T|C members, that's fine with me. Just remember, laughter is good medicine and it's free...

    The Claw...
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    Umm, when the whole goal is to run a business on the domain, yes, it does.
    Back in the VisorCentral days, there was no store. We (mods) have never been pressured by management to steer people to the store, or to run the forums so that the store benefitted. They are two seperate entities. In the early days we had some concerns because we were running banner ads from 3rd parties, but even then we weren't "business" minded.

    The forums are, always have been, and always will be a "resource". It's the how-to and troubleshooting that most people come here for, and that's where we'd like the focus to be.
    .
    .....
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Back in the VisorCentral days, there was no store. We (mods) have never been pressured by management to steer people to the store, or to run the forums so that the store benefitted. They are two seperate entities. In the early days we had some concerns because we were running banner ads from 3rd parties, but even then we weren't "business" minded.

    The forums are, always have been, and always will be a "resource". It's the how-to and troubleshooting that most people come here for, and that's where we'd like the focus to be.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    I couldn't care less about the post count for Off Topic posts. Personally, I use the Join date to determine who has been around. Most of the folks here are newbies (high post count or not). And I look for quality of the posts versus quantity.

    Thousands of posts about NOTHING is still NOTHING. Twenty posts about something IMPORTANT outweighs 2,000-3,000 or more posts playing word games.

    I've been around for a while. I can tell substance from fluff. I would think most other people can, too.
    And the fluff has been getting pretty fluffy over the past few months...


  9. #109  
    Man...reading through all of this, it appears to me that some want their posts to count in OT, others don't care if posts count in OT.....while others don't like high post counts mainly due to all the games threads that are hosted in OT.

    Simple solution to make all happy:

    1) Add one more forum in the Other section called "GAMES" and could add Jokes & Lists to it if you wanted. And move all the game threads from OT to the new Games forum.
    2) Restore the post count to the OT forum to make those who want it happy.
    3) Remove the post count in the Games forum for those who don't like inflated post counts due to games.

    There it is....OT gets credit with post counts, games can still be played, while no inflated post counts due to games.......simple 3 step answer that seems to address 93% of all the concerns expressed in this thread.

    Mods....what do you think?
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 09/30/2005 at 05:27 PM.
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Mods....what do you think?
    I think there'd still be unhappy people!
    .
    .....
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  11. #111  
    Sure there would be..as with any decision...but at least it would be VERY easy to implement while addressing at least 90% of the concerns.
  12. #112  
    Hey, guys, it's done. Let it go.
    V > Vx > m505 > m515 > T/T > T3 > TC > 650 > 680
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://download.skype.com/share/skypebuttons/js/skypeCheck.js"></script>
    <a href="skype:wwgamble?call"><img src="http://mystatus.skype.com/balloon/wwgamble" style="border: none;" width="150" height="60" alt="My Skype status" /></a>
  13. #113  
    I actually like it. Since the biggest whiner was NRG, and he specifically pointed out Word Games, I'm sure he'd be happy.

    But it's fine the way it is now as well.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Sure there would be..as with any decision...but at least it would be VERY easy to implement while addressing at least 90% of the concerns.
    While I agree that it would address the issues of the visitors to the site, it still doesnt address the owners interest in the site (mainly to get the focus back on to the treo and away from OT.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  15. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    While I agree that it would address the issues of the visitors to the site, it still doesnt address the owners interest in the site (mainly to get the focus back on to the treo and away from OT.)
    I don't think the original purpose was to get the focus back on the treo. If it was, I don't see how changing the post count rules will accomplish it. But, I agree, the change has been made so leave it alone.
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gamble
    Hey, guys, it's done. Let it go.
    Sorry...no offense intended....heck I didn't even notice I stopped getting post counts until someone pointed it out 3 weeks later. I just read through this thread and thought to offer a suggestion for a easy and obvious solution.
  17. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Sorry...no offense intended....heck I didn't even notice I stopped getting post counts until someone pointed it out 3 weeks later. I just read through this thread and thought to offer a suggestion for a easy and obvious solution.
    Hobbes, I took no offense to your suggestion.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gamble
    Hey, guys, it's done. Let it go.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  19. #119  
    Interesting stat:

    Posts in off-topic word association thread:

    July 3rd - Aug 3rd = 3187
    Aug 3rd - Sept 3rd = 2888
    Sept 3rd - Oct 3rd = 409

    How odd that everyone suddenly lost interest in that thread after the announcement...?



  20. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    Interesting stat:

    Posts in off-topic word association thread:

    July 3rd - Aug 3rd = 3187
    Aug 3rd - Sept 3rd = 2888
    Sept 3rd - Oct 3rd = 409

    How odd that everyone suddenly lost interest in that thread after the announcement...?

    As I said "A Ruse".

Posting Permissions