Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 161
  1. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    What I don't seem to understand is, if post counts are no big deal then why the hell is the fun being taken away? I mean, if post counts don't mean squat, then why would it matter if posts don't count in OT? No one said you can't post such and such a topic in OT?


    Directed at the general groaners: I guess if post count did not matter to some of you, like some you claim, you would not be in here belly aching, and would just let it ride.
    Well, since I posted that this action has no added value then I must be a general groaner and you must have directed this at me.

    Why not do away with post count alltogether? Or, if your intent was to really focus on the Treo, do away with OT.

    If somone considers themselves an expert because they over 2,000 post good for them. I gained more information from posters that did not think so highly of themselves (normally low post counts) because they answered the question and did not need to puff up their ego by providing information that was not asked for.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    One man's filler is another man's substance.
    Honestly though, we are both asserting the same thing here "post count doesnt matter." So who cares if posts do or dont count in a particular section?

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    I am groaning as you put it because it was an action that resulted in nothing for no apparent logical reason. Why was it done? Because the organization felt the need to throw their weight around a bit. Look how powerful we are!
    Seriously, do you believe that? You think the mods/admins really have nothing better to do?
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Honestly though, we are both asserting the same thing here "post count doesnt matter." So who cares if posts do or dont count in a particular section?


    Seriously, do you believe that? You think the mods/admins really have nothing better to do?
    I am not asserting that post count matters. I am saying changing the current format for no appreciable reason is silly. WHAT did it accomplish? More OT discussion, thats what. If the OT section is such a detriment to the boards,lose it.

    By eliminating pc for OT they are saying to those that post there " we do not value your contribution to our site in these areas. Only posts relevant to what we think is important, the Treo, will have enough value in our eyes to contribute to your post count on this site." Which begs the question, why have an ot section at all if it adds no value? Hmmm maybe because it draws people to the site. Yes some poeple come here because of the lively discussions in OT.

    As I said before and elsewhere, if it was such a big deal I'd find a way to discuss it in a forum that counted.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  4. #44  
    Seriously, do you believe that? You think the mods/admins really have nothing better to do?
    Oh no I am not saying that. I know for a fact that their time is full of all the work it takes just to keep this thing online.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Exactly Cardio. I mean, take my good friend DrDoom. He's not even speaking and still adds to his total. You're going to sit here and tell me posting " " is somehow more worthy??

    I am at this reasoning and hope no one takes this as me on my
    ... ...
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    According to the new guidelines his posts will likely be deemed inapropriate or of no value and deleted.
    ...
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ... ...
    My good friend has made it.

    Now these are funny posts with personality. Beats reading someone saying "looks good", "I agree."
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8. #48  
    he buddy it's not my rule. I think your posts are both creative and entertaining. Sometimes a little hard to get but I like em nonetheless.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  9. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    One of the best solutions I have seen was the post count only goes to 1000. This way the newbs are easily identifiable and the more senior members are spotted by "+1000" next to their name.
    Well then I guess that if I just arrived at this forum and needed help with something I would take your input (or a lot of others for that matter) over Shadowmites. Now there is some faulty logic.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Well then I guess that if I just arrived at this forum and needed help with something I would take your input (or a lot of others for that matter) over Shadowmites. Now there is some faulty logic.
    I need help with kmaps. I'd ask the developer imitrovic to help, but he only has 70 posts.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    One of the best solutions I have seen was the post count only goes to 1000. This way the newbs are easily identifiable and the more senior members are spotted by "+1000" next to their name.
    wtf! Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings! How bout everyone has the same amount of post count as the highest poster?

    Why do you have such a hard on about this?
  12. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I need help with kmaps. I'd ask the developer imitrovic to help, but he only has 70 posts.
    Only 70 posts, well I have more posts, I have to know more, so just do soft reset. If that don't fix your problem then search!!!!!
  13. #53  
    Maybe a solution would be that if you post in O/T, you get a -1. Then at least it would be interesting to see who would go negative first.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    I am not asserting that post count matters.
    I said the opposite.

    I am saying changing the current format for no appreciable reason is silly. WHAT did it accomplish? More OT discussion, thats what. If the OT section is such a detriment to the boards,lose it.
    OT discussions are not a detriment to the board, but they also arent quality additions to Treo discussion.

    By eliminating pc for OT they are saying to those that post there " we do not value your contribution to our site in these areas. Only posts relevant to what we think is important, the Treo, will have enough value in our eyes to contribute to your post count on this site."
    What about that quote do you have a problem with? Seems to make sense to me. I dont think post count is a valuable measure of anything really so I try to ignore it. But if one were going to try to glean any info from a post count they would probably be looking at it in terms of reliability of the person giving the info or something of that nature. If that is the case then only including posts relevant to Treos would make sense for this particular site.

    Which begs the question, why have an ot section at all if it adds no value? Hmmm maybe because it draws people to the site. Yes some poeple come here because of the lively discussions in OT.
    Not necessarily to draw people here, but to keep them here. Seriously, this is a community of sorts and people dont always want to discuss Treos. Sure they could go elsewhere, but if you dont have to, why not just stay here. People will inevitably post off-topic stuff, so people who run boards log ago decided to create a place for it so that the rest of the board could be kept clean. The other compelling reason for it is that people want it. So while the individual posts themselves may not be relevant to the site, the fact that the posters enjoy posting on a site, and enjoy having the OT section is reason enough to keep it.

    As I said before and elsewhere, if it was such a big deal I'd find a way to discuss it in a forum that counted.
    Again, who cares if its counted? Do you feel better knowing you have a growing number below your avatar? Does that really matter to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Oh no I am not saying that. I know for a fact that their time is full of all the work it takes just to keep this thing online.
    So the mods and admins here have no other duties on a daily basis? Are you so sure of that?
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Well then I guess that if I just arrived at this forum and needed help with something I would take your input (or a lot of others for that matter) over Shadowmites. Now there is some faulty logic.
    The faulty logic appears to be assuming that shadowmite knows everything concerning the treo (He may know a lot, but I don't think he would make that claim).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I mean, if post counts don't mean squat, then why would it matter if posts don't count in OT?

    I guess if post count did not matter to some of you, like some you claim, you would not be in here belly aching, and would just let it ride.
    I am struggling to understand the arguments of those opposed to the new post count rules as well. IMO I (and arguably TC) think at least more of the discussion should be geared toward the treo in general. Where is the harm in that
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  17. #57  
    While searching through some of my ancient posts I came across this jewel (from a year ago):

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=58219
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    While searching through some of my ancient posts I came across this jewel (from a year ago):

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=58219
    ... ... ...
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  19. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    The faulty logic appears to be assuming that shadowmite knows everything concerning the treo (He may know a lot, but I don't think he would make that claim).
    Well, you know the saying of what happens when you assume. I did not say nor in any way imply he knew everything. Please do not try to read something into a post that is not there.
  20. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I am struggling to understand the arguments of those opposed to the new post count rules as well. IMO I (and arguably TC) think at least more of the discussion should be geared toward the treo in general. Where is the harm in that
    Gearing the discussion toward the Treo is all fine and good. How does that apply to post count, what counts as a post, who has 200 or 2000 posts.
    It is a change, and people do not like change. Even more people dislike change that has no added value.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions