Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 69
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by emunch
    Did you ever consider that perhaps the reason they asked is that they don't understand how to find information otherwise.

    I guess my point is, not all of you were born with a Treo in your hand. Have some tact. If you don't want to answer, how about just ignore it and move on? Maybe GOYFHH. (Get off your __________ high horse.)
    I think there's a large difference between:

    A) The blue flashing snowflake thingie is there to advise you that a stormfront is approaching. To read about this and other treo options look in the manual. It's on page 56 of the cingular manual. If you don't have the manual, you can find them here:

    Sprint http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...0sprint_UG.pdf
    Cingular http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...ingular_UG.pdf
    Verizon http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...verizon_UG.pdf
    Unlocked http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...o650gsm_UG.pdf

    I found this information my doing a title search on the word "snowflake" and "blue asterisk"

    and B) RTFM Butthead.

    I see many users including myself using the A approach and I don't think it puts them on a horse, high, low or otherwise.

    Disclaimer : Storm front thing was my attempt to insert some humor into the subject

    Even if it's one of those inane questions like how do I turn phone on and off (yesterday came on and saw two posts in a row on same exact subject and one already had the answer posted 40 minutes apart.) If the guy / gal starts out "I tried to search but on [insert topic here]....", I'll gladly explain how to use advanced search function especially a title search. But I love the ones that state "I am too lazy to search..." or "who has time to search thru 40 threads" where their time is somehow more valuable than my own, frankly I am inclined to ignore the question and move on.
  2. #22  
    I think A is a perfect response. Exactly what I am talking about. I enjoy your posts and have learned a lot from them.
  3. #23  
    It amazes me how many people dont read the manual first. This is not a basic cell phone. Especially if you have never used the Palm OS before, you need to read the whole manual.

    Maybe it's me. But when I get something like this, I spend time at work or home pouring over the manual. I have even been known to take off work when I get a new gadget to have 100% uninterrupted study/play time. Partly because I want to get 100% of its functionality. The other part, is so I know what the frick I am doing.

    Yeah, the manual is thick (and its 1 language - so all of those pages are in English). But, it should be your first stop. The internet forums like TC should be your second.

    Just my .02
  4. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    <moved and added to sticky thread list>
    Thank you.
  5. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    It is listed under BOTH "Hard Reset" and "Resetting Device" in my manual. Again, why is something so easily found this difficult? You say you're a teacher. I guess you would prefer to just tell your students the answers, instead of them actually, heaven forbid, figure something out. No wonder we're putting out so many dropouts and illiterate people...
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  6. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I think there's a large difference between:

    A) The blue flashing snowflake thingie is there to advise you that a stormfront is approaching. To read about this and other treo options look in the manual. It's on page 56 of the cingular manual. If you don't have the manual, you can find them here:

    Sprint http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...0sprint_UG.pdf
    Cingular http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...ingular_UG.pdf
    Verizon http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...verizon_UG.pdf
    Unlocked http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...o650gsm_UG.pdf

    I found this information my doing a title search on the word "snowflake" and "blue asterisk"

    and B) RTFM Butthead.

    I see many users including myself using the A approach and I don't think it puts them on a horse, high, low or otherwise.

    Disclaimer : Storm front thing was my attempt to insert some humor into the subject

    Even if it's one of those inane questions like how do I turn phone on and off (yesterday came on and saw two posts in a row on same exact subject and one already had the answer posted 40 minutes apart.) If the guy / gal starts out "I tried to search but on [insert topic here]....", I'll gladly explain how to use advanced search function especially a title search. But I love the ones that state "I am too lazy to search..." or "who has time to search thru 40 threads" where their time is somehow more valuable than my own, frankly I am inclined to ignore the question and move on.
    Agreed. Lazy people are useless.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  7. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by emunch
    It isn't laziness, it is fear and confusion. Fear of searching and not being able to find what they want. Confusion at searching for "hard reset", finding the latest custom rom thread, not understanding anything the first three posts say, and giving up.


    To me, both of your descriptions fit very nicely into the definition of laziness.

    "fear of searching and not being able to find what they want" = they want the answer NOW without having to put forth any effort = lazy.

    "Confusion at searching for "hard reset", finding the latest custom rom thread, not understanding anything the first three posts say, and giving up." = they want the answer NOW without having to put forth any effort = lazy.


    Yes, sometimes searching does not yield good results, mainly because there are 200 threads about the same topic because 199 people were too lazy to search for an existing thread before starting a new one. So in your opinion, the correct, acceptable solution is for the uninitiated person to start a 201st thread on said topic? Makes perfect sense.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  8. #29  
    If we start a New Post everytime we need an answer on something like Hotsync,
    we Selfishly clutter TC, and make it more difficult for the next guy.
    Just call me Berd.
  9. #30  
    I think it's interesting that the people who can't/won't RTFM, use the index to TFM, or attempt a search either here or with Google, will still spend the same amount of time to create a profile, log on, write their question, and wait for a response.

    Searching any forum isn't always easy. Getting to know the lingo to use for a good search takes time. And even then it can be a crapshoot. A good number of people come here only when they have a problem that needs to be fixes ASAP and feel they don't have time to search. Or to lurk and figure out the lingo or forum protocols. Very few of them stick around to be part of the community.

    A lot of assumptions there, but I think it's mainly true. I came here before any problems. Just as a way to get to know all the capabilities of the Treo, so that when a problem came up I had something of a leg up. But, then, I'm one of those geeks that RTFM.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
  10. #31  
    need a little help .how do you post a new question? thanks for the help.
  11. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by shaynes
    need a little help .how do you post a new question? thanks for the help.
    In a thread ,or a new post in general? It seems like like you have the first one down, so we will deal with the later. Click your way to the prospective forum/subforum you wish to pose a question, click button on top of thread listings labeled 'New Thread', viola.
  12. #33  
    Main forum page click on the forum you wish to post in once in at the top right of the page is a button that says new thread click on it and post to hearts content.
    Now you know

    PS Welcome!!!!
    There's always next year!
  13. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuzlebutt
    Main forum page click on the forum you wish to post in once in at the top right of the page is a button that says new thread click on it and post to hearts content.
    Now you know

    PS Welcome!!!!
    I'm quicker than you, nanny nanny boo boo.
  14. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Agreed. Lazy people are useless.
    Pretty harsh......I suppose you never sit on a couch and watch TV
  15. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    Pretty harsh......I suppose you never sit on a couch and watch TV
    At the end of a long day of working, sure...sometimes. You consider THAT lazy?

    Harsh or not, people who are unwilling to do ANYTHING for themselves are a complete drain on society. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  16. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    At the end of a long day of working, sure...sometimes. You consider THAT lazy?

    Harsh or not, people who are unwilling to do ANYTHING for themselves are a complete drain on society. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.
    ummm, did I say anything about my feelings? Didn't think so.
  17. #38  
    Funny enough, i actually saw a guy in an airplane RT(W)FM . W = The whole. Like from page 1 to the end. I guess there was nothing better to do on the 2hr flight
  18. #39  
    I save manuals for that....AutoCAD usually comes out with a new version in spring and reading the manuals takes up a lotta travel time for my state and national conventions.
  19. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by emunch
    I teach high school. No, they don't know how to find information when they get here. They should, but they don't. Yes, it is one of the things I focus on, often more than my actual subject area. We have a whole lesson on how to use a foreign language dictionary. It is amazing how inept they are. Thus, it is no suprise to me when someone asks a question that has been asked 100 times before here.

    I can't just tell me students "read the f-ing textbook." I have to show them how to use the textbook, when to use the textbook, when to ask me, and when to use outside resources. You have to approach this the same way. The Treo doesn't come with a list of what to ask, what to look for, what to just figure out on your own, etc. A newbie doesn't know how many times the best bluetooth headset has been asked. How would they? If they ask again and you don't to answer, well then don't How hard is that. Either that or make it a private board and only let your friends in. You can all sit around and circle jerk to your custom Roms and never be bothered to ask a dumb question again.

    Public boards mean the public asks questions. No one forces you to be here, do they? I see this sort of stuff on all the boards I visit. These type of threads, sticky or not, never change anything.

    But, obviously, you don't get it. So, have a nice day. If you don't understand what I am saying, and you obviously don't by your rediculously off response, search around. I am sure you will find the answer.
    That's so true. I couldn't have said it better myself. The problem though, is that I was recently very harsh to a "n00b"(while I was somewhat innebriated...which is no excuse), and now I can't find what thread it was to apologize. People here often forget that they're Treo experts(for the most part), and often look down upon new people like they're garbage or something. Just remember, if you disagree with the 'main' members - or question them, you're going to automattically be looked down upon. That's the way it works here.
    Last edited by ShannonElements; 03/27/2006 at 05:47 AM.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions