View Poll Results: Should posters who don't search be shot?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always - I'm a Jerk that way

5 13.89%
  • Only the Ignorant - cause they just don't get it

5 13.89%
  • Only the rebels - you reap what you sow

4 11.11%
  • No - tis easier to ignore or give useful advice

17 47.22%
  • Who cares?

5 13.89%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, Off Topic since, well, I'm going to rant (this will happen likely once a month).

Through histories through now, I've seem some pretty harsh statements being made about people "not searching" before posting.

Even my search poem was met with criticism publicly and privately.

I think it's appropriate to recommend a search - but to post rude comments and such, sorry, not nice.

So many assumptions are made (here and on many other boards - yet I've never seen so many "search you *****" posts in my 16 years of posting).

Should those who don't search be shot? Let's take a look....

Newbies - Let's assume they don't use forums much so aren't akin to the proper etiquette of posting questions prior to searching. I'd say anyone 20 posts or below should be "graced" into the forums. A kind "here's where you can find it - and by the way, you'll find the search tool in the top right corner of the screen a godsend when seeking quick responses."

Seasoned Users - Chances are the bulk of them (especially the ones who use the "search, you *****" remarks do search and just might not find exactly what they are seeking. You can tell me to search for a problem - let's say "lost contacts" - but when that search (as of today) yields 179 threads - and given that there's no phrase, or filter searching (hopefully soon) reading every thread to find the issue isn't always feasible. I'll normally weed through 40 or 50 before I finally say, "Okay, I searched, but..."

The Ignorant - You'll never convince them to search because they'll never get the point. Why get so heated up about it? Just ignore them and let someone else give a half-way decent reply.

The Rebels - Those who outright refuse to search first (especially after having been "graced" in) don't deserve an answer. Treat them like the ignorant.

We all started on the Net and on the boards as "newbies" so it's not fair to assume new posters know the ropes.

What I don't get is why some find it necessary to jump in on a thread and punish someone for not searching, all the while not giving any useful advice at all? If someone not searching gets you hot under the collar, then there's a simple way to avoid high blood pressure - hold your mouse over the message subject - if it looks like the poster didn't search, move on to other posts.

I guess I'm just saying that it's a lot easier to either give some advice, or just not post than to spend the time scolding someone who fits any of the criteria above.

What do you think? Take the poll...

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Shoot to kill.

Behold the Forum Guidelines:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...70&postcount=1

Before you post a question, please do a search to see if it's been answered before. We are a very active bunch and the odds are high that the question has been asked and answered before.

If you do a search and the item is not there, by all means post! That's what we're here for. Please post in the correct forum, though.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    When we treat newbies with instant hostility, the people getting shot are ourselves. I'd rather put up with unnecessary questions than to lose a sizable chunk of newcomers and their fresh ideas.
    I think some people feel like they did the research why can't the person who did not search?
    mediasi. B-R-A-V-O!

Insertion, put your guns away!

Anyway, I've posted that members should search, and I dont think I was nasty about it. Granted, message boards/forums lack that presence of a face; yet many people take the negative road when it is suggested that they post. And I'm sorry I dont have the time to always insert a smilie here and there.

I agree with you in the fact that a zillion post come up while searching, and truth be told, it just may not be what I am looking for; maybe my problem is different than what others have posted about.

Some of the members here dont realize that instead of offering a little help, they come off like bullies and terrify people into NOT posting for fear of being flogged! Hence the word....LURKER!

One thing that I can also say is that things within Treo|C has changed drastically. We used to have members helping members; now we have comedians that throw humor at your problem and somehow expect you to walk away feeling as though you've been helped......imagine that!

We have people who think that post count means everything and help means nothing.
    We have people whose post belong strictly in off-topic!
    We have people who dont like the fashion in which other people post and feel it is their God given right to moan about it.

I dont come here with the thought in mind that I know everything there is to know about a Treo and if I can continue to provide an answer, thats what I'll do.

It should be official that anyone with less than 20-30 post should be granted some type of immunity. None of us were born with Treos!

'nuff said
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Fine...let's have the Mods rewrite the Forum Guidelines to,

Why Search when you can use the Organic Search Engine. Come now and feed

Image resized for Scandalex
    Last edited by Insertion; 07/10/2005 at 09:58 AM.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Image resized for Scandalex

LMAO! For once, I am speechless.....you're too funny for your own good!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    2 points:

as someone who feels himself an eternal newby, it should be recognized that the search engine at Treocentral can best be described as poor and unhelpful.

Its usually better to do an external google -- which will then link to an appropriate Treocentral thread. (The powers that be should put some serious work into improving it).

The other thing I've noticed is that there's an encyclopedic reservoir of knowledge hanging out here smoking weed behind the bleachers. Can someone ask the coach or the Principle to chase them back onto the field ???
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Pop! Pop! Pop! Everyone down! A Treo Driveby......
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Fine...let's have the Mods rewrite the Forum Guidelines to,

Why Search when you can use the Organic Search Engine.
    Not the point I was making at all. I think people SHOULD be reminded to search. But there's no call for rudeness when someone doesn't - especially if they are new. I'd rather assume they searched and didn't find the answer to their exact problem than to assume they didn't and make them put out their hands so I can spank their fingers with a ruler like the Nuns do.

I've been a member of hundreds of forums over the years (probably close to a thousand) and have noticed a trend... on the forums where newcomers and people who are not as acclamated to the proper etiquette are met with hostility, in the long run, the forums wind up being populated with mostly hostiles, and who would want to keep gracing boards with their presence just to be shot down or sent to stand in the corner.

The success of forums like this is the diversity of people - their backgrounds, their ideas, even their properly worded rants and humor. Without it, T|C is just a collection pool of posts, and it wouldn't take as long as we think for the membership to go down.

We have all kinds of people on these forums - from the high-end techies right down to the accessorizing divas, and that's the reason I prefer these boards over many others I have "lurked around."

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    it should be recognized that the search engine at Treocentral can best be described as poor and unhelpful.

Its usually better to do an external google -- which will then link to an appropriate Treocentral thread. (The powers that be should put some serious work into improving it).
    The current search engine is the default one provided by the forum software and cannot (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $be$ $modified$ $by$ $us$.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    The current search engine is the default one provided by the forum software and cannot (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $be$ $modified$ $by$ $us$.
    A quick search shows me:

http://www.vbmechanic.com/

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino
    Pop! Pop! Pop! Everyone down! A Treo Driveby......

I second the driveby........although I do understand the mods have no control over the "usefulness" of the search tool. What I do know from observation is that regulars jump all over the questioning newbies. Personally I'll ask and look for responses from *newer, untainted* users and ignore the expected flak
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    A quick search shows me:

http://www.vbmechanic.com/

Pamela
    Only the Admins can change or modify vBulletin.

As for searches, I use always use the advance search to scan for titles only.

Another way of doing that is typing my search on the browser prompt (without the quotes):
    "http://discussion.treocentral.com/search.php?do=process&query=put_your_search_word_here&titleonly=0"
    where:
    put_your_search_word_here is your search word(s)
    on the &titleonly=0 prompt, replace the '0' with '1' if you want to limit your search to titles only.

for example: "http://discussion.treocentral.com/search.php?do=process&query=tzone&titleonly=1" would search for the word tzone on titles only. Try to limit your search words to one to three words. vBulletin uses an OR logic to scan through. The AND logic does not seem to work here. Don't try to put simple words, like: the, is, are....

Unfortunately, some titles are either mispelled or completely generic, such as: "I have a problem", which could refer to anything. Hence, we ask users to make their titles meaningful as much as possible.
  15. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    as someone who feels himself an eternal newby, it should be recognized that the search engine at Treocentral can best be described as poor and unhelpful.
    I totally agree, the search feature at TC is next to useless, it tends to return threads where you have to scroll through PAGES of stuff to find what you're looking for, if you're lucky. I've never posted in some forums (eg. Autodesk's, best forum I've seen yet) because every time I had a question I could do a search and get the answer right away, without having to wait for some kind soul to post a response.

But I agree with most people here, there's no percentage in posting "DO A SEARCH" - you could post the answer with the same effort. If you're not so inclined, it's a lot less effort to just ignore it.
    Most people lack BINS, or Basic Internet Navigation Skills. Make a program ***** proof and folks will create a better *****. People who can't create a logical thought or think of key words to use a search feature are the issue, not the search engine. Queries like "HELP, I INSTALLED AXXXA AND THEN IT SAID REBOOT BUT I DIDNT!!!!" will never yield positive results. You don't give a car to a 12 year old and expect him to drive without proper instruction yet we are constantly empowering without sufficient training people all over the world. Microsoft, in their quest to fill their pockets, contine to develop hand-holding garbageware that in the end only creates a large amount of zombie machines spamming my mailserver.

Read a book; self educate yourself; learn to use the tool. There is nothing wrong with the search feature, and while it becomes increasingly defunct by the sheer number of redundant questions, it works and works well.
    They should make this movie the main sticky!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    Read a book; self educate yourself; learn to use the tool. There is nothing wrong with the search feature, and while it becomes increasingly defunct by the sheer number of redundant questions, it works and works well.
    Sorry, evilghost, but I've been posting on forums for more than 10 years and have become quite acclamated to performing searches, and many times the things I search for here yield a slew of results - many times too many results. If you have the time to siphon through 120 threads to find the one specific thing, that's great.

Now that's not to say the search outright sucks, but to say that anyone who can't find all the answers they need just isn't doing it right, well, that's just not true.

We also have to understand that many times people just aren't sure of the exact terminology they need to use. How else are they going to learn? Surely you don't expect everyone who posts has read every book on Treo and the Palm OS?

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    I think its fair to expect someone to at least 'attempt' a search before posting a thread if, for nothing else, then to reduce the redundant 'treo-killer' threads ;-)

(thanks goes to the mods for moving/combining threads!)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by mediasi

Should those who don't search be shot? Let's take a look....
    Ummm...did you do a search on this matter before you posted this new thread? This has alerady been covered LOL OMG WTF IMHO AFIK BTW
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast