Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Anyone with tats on their tits??
    "Researchers into the origins of tit for tat speculate that the formation of the phrase was influenced by French tant pour tant 'so much for so much' and perhaps as well by Dutch dit vor dat 'this for that'. Tit for tat is similar in meaning to the familiar Latin quid pro quo 'one thing in return for another'. However, the English phrase unfailingly has negative, adversarial connotations, while the Latin expression suggests one favor given for another." Whatever
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Claire,

I like that.............Education is like, ...really important
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    Bain esti calme toi....
    Hey Kris... I'll translate for our southern neighbours...

Hey you... go take a bath and calm down!
    Quote Originally Posted by pda_jedi
    Claire,

I like that.............Education is like, ...really important
    You got it, Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan

Do most hosers even take a bath??
    Quote Originally Posted by MiteMom
    I guess it depends on your perspective. I live in that conflagration of Collin County, City of Dallas, Plano ISD....but since the border is just 50 ft from my front door, I always just said Plano. To me Dallas is much more messed up, that entire city hall is a sitcom waiting to be written, perhaps a reality show.
    Wow, you and I must've been neighbors. I lived off Haverwood...you?

I agree about the Dallas being messed up thing, but I really hated the sterile nature of Plano. I prefer dealing w/ the Highland Park Housewives driving their Range Rovers than dealing with the uninsured Plano Housewives driving their Suburbans (and then rear-ending me on the tollway!!! ) But I digress.....I really do enjoy living where I do now much more than before, there's more to do and the feeling of the area is just more cozy overall....don't really know how to describe it best.

Edit: Oh, and I find myself stuck in traffic on the Tollway and/or 635 very rarely now.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com

Actually its "Hey calm down you (church word apparently)

Bain is just slang in that context
    Actually its "Hey calm down you (church word apparently)

Bain is just slang in that context
    Me, I'm not speech much hinglish.... but I'm do da bes I are. I'm speech seven language, hinglish da bes...

Ma faute, I was translating it literally I guess, comme sa... Alors va prendre un bain et calme-toi!

Tell me, in terms of slang, what the heck does "Si boire, tasse toi" mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Do most hosers even take a bath??
    Yep... in fact we learned how from our friends in Texas...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Texas Slang:

"The engine's runnin' but ain't nobody driving", translated for our Northern neighbors.........."Not overly intelligent".

"He thinks the sun come up just to hear him crow", translated for our Northern neighbors..........."He has a pretty high opinion of himself".

"Time to paint your **** white and run with the antelope", translated for our Northern neighbors................"Stop arguing and do as you're told".
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Hey pda_jedi;

Appreciate your helpful Texas phrase/slang translations...

Here are a few Canadian slang translations I had to learn when I moved here from Detroit...

all dressed - with all the toppings.
    arborite - generally to refer to the laminated composite woodlike building material often found in cheap tables and counters.
    baby bonus - have a child, get money from the government.
    bird course - at least in this part of the U.S., easy college/undergrad courses are called guts. Incidentally, speaking of undergrads, calling students in four-year programs freshmen, sophomores, juniors, or seniors seems not to have caught on in Canada. Rather, they are referred to as first-year students, second-year students, etc. "Frosh" is used occasionally.
    chesterfield - a couch
    Concession road - an Ontario and Quebec thing... In medieval French une concession was a grant of land. The term was first used in Canada for parcels of land that a seigneur rented to tenants. Now, in Ontario and Quιbec, concessions are parallel lots of 200 acres each. The word also refers to the survey lines and roads that delimit such lots.
    Deke - a hockey term for faking out an opponent
    **** all - nothing
    eavestrough - gutters are on the ground, not on roofs.
    garburator - a great name for a kitchen sink garbage disposal. Some claim that this was once or may still be a trade name. We do not know. We have also seen it spelled "garburetor".
    housecoat - a bath robe
    hydro - originally short for "hydro-electric power". Now synonymous with electricity (produced by any method), as in "Get the lantern; the hydro's out again."
    Javex - generally, bleach, in the same way that all facial tissues are called Kleenex, or all antimotion sickness drugs are referred to generically in Canada as Gravol.
    Kraft Dinner - macaroni and cheese
    March break - every school seems to have a week-long break some time around March or April. Study week? Slack week? March break.
    Mr. Dressup - Americans, who are weaned on Sesame Street, tell me that they find the name of this show odd.
    pogey - the dole, or UI.
    poutine - in Europe, the French are known for their fine cuisine. Quιbec is known for poutine, which makes a fine French Canadian meal when served with Pepsi. Poutine is comprised of french fries, preferably fried in lard; a particular sort of gravy; and cheese.
    seat sale - a ticket or fare sale (usually for a plane or a bus, but occasionally for an event).
    separate schools - parochial schools. Often they get public funding in Canada.
    serviette - napkin
    tobaggan - sled
    toonie - the Canadian two dollar coin (aka "the Queen with a bear behind"). The name stems from loonie, the Canadian one dollar coin, which has a loon on the back. We always thought the old dollar coins with the voyageur looked better. The spelling has apparently stabilized without the "w", although for a while the most common spelling was "twoonie".
    tuque - far more specific than the American "knit hat", although you still have to specify if there's a pom-pom or not.
    two-four -a case of 24 beers. Those of you from Ontario should be thinking of the sound as one makes its way down the rollers before bursting into sight at the Beer Store, eh.
    washroom - a bathroom for the civilized.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Acknowledgements:

Basically, all these acknowledgements are of articles or interviews about the Canadian Oxford Dictionary/Oxford Dictionary of Canadian English. These include
    Alex Beam's article of August 20, 1996 for Slate
    The World This Weekend, a radio show of the CBC, of June 13, 1998
    The Globe and Mail, every so often
    btw 1week down 1 to go

Also check this one out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_English
    Where Canadian English shares vocabulary with other English dialects, it tends to share most with American English. For instance, automotive terminology in Canada is entirely American. Canadians may prefer the British term railway to the American railroad, but most railway terminology in Canada follows American usage (eg., ties, as well as cars rather than sleepers and carriages). Given the number of cross-border railways, this makes sense.

However, some terms in standard Canadian English are shared with Commonwealth English, but not with American English. These include:

• Tory for a supporter of the federal Conservative Party of Canada, the historic Progressive Conservative Party of Canada or a provincial Progressive Conservative party
    • solicitor and barrister for lawyers (although in Canada, a lawyer is usually referred to as a barrister or a solicitor only in formal and professional usage; the American "lawyer" "attorney" or "counsel" predominates in everyday contexts. In the British system, the solicitor and barrister are two different people; in Canada, the same lawyer occupies both roles but will often use terms like "Barrister and Solicitor", or "QC" [Queen's Counsel, an honour given in some provinces for a certain level of experience] as formal or official titles.])
    • bum for the American "****" (the two words coexist in Canadian English, and bum is most commonly used as a polite or childish euphemism)
    • busker for a street performer
    • tin (as in tin of tuna) rather than can.
    • arse is commonly used in Atlantic Canada. West of the Ottawa river, *** is more idiomatic.
    Several lexical items come from British English, such as lieutenant (/lɛf-/) and light standard (an obsolete British word for lamp-post). Several political terms are uniquely Canadian, including riding (a parliamentary constituency or electoral district) and to win by acclamation (to win uncontested).

Like other dialects of English that exist in proximity to francophones, French loanwords have entered Canadian English, such as:

Canadian English also has its own words not found in other variants of English. In 1998, Oxford University Press produced a Canadian English dictionary, after five years of lexicographical research, called The Canadian Oxford Dictionary; a second edition was published in 2004. It listed uniquely Canadian words, words borrowed from other languages and surveyed spellings, such as whether colour or color was the most popular choice in common use.

In Canada, the word 'premier', as meant to be the leader of a provincial or territorial government, is pronounced "prem - yare" , "Preem year" or "preem - yehr" in most places, as opposed to the United States, where it is pronounced "prem ear. Premiere, (the first showing of a movie), is pronounced the same in Canada as the rest of the world.

Uniquely Canadian English words include:

• Allophone: a resident of Quebec who speaks a first language other than English or French
    • chesterfield (also Northern Californian English): a sofa, couch, or loveseat[2] (http://www.bartleby.com/61/94/C0279400.html)
    • parkade: parking garage
    • garburator: a garbage disposal unit located beneath the drain of a kitchen sink
    • gettone (in Toronto and environs): foosball; pronounced roughly as in Italian
    • Grit: a member or supporter of one of the federal or provincial Liberal parties (but not the Quιbec Liberal Party)
    • Dipper (or 'kneedipper'): a member or supporter of the New Democratic Party
    • Blochead: a member of the Bloc Quιbιcois
    • Family Compact: a group of influential families who exercised substantial political control of Ontario during part of the 1800s
    • a Robertson: a Canadian square-headed screw or screwdriver. While this is used outside of the country for that screw head type, the screws are much less common.
    • trousseau tea: a reception held by the mother of a bride, for neighbours not invited to the wedding
    • yogourt: a unique spelling of yoghurt which is used in both English- and French-Canada
    • bachelor suite: a one room apartment with a small kitchen and a bathroom
    • pencil crayon: elsewhere called a "colored (or coloured) pencil"
    • **** disturber: a person who tends to create controversy or chaos
    • back bacon: elsewhere called "Canadian bacon"
    • brown bread: whole wheat bread
    • homo milk: whole (homogenized) milk
    • butter tart: a single serving, sweet pie, often with raisins
    • Kraft dinner: Often shortened to "KD", known elsewhere as "Kraft macaroni and cheese"
    • Nanaimo bar: a confection named for the town of Nanaimo, British Columbia
    • whitener: powdered non-dairy additive for coffee or tea
    • loonie and toonie: Canadian one- and two-dollar coins
    • keener: an enthusiastic student, not necessarily a positive term
    • Joe job: a low-status, low-skill task
    • Timbits: a brand name of doughnut holes made by Tim Hortons that has become a generic term
    • Ski-Doo: a brand name now used generically to refer to any snowmobile. Can also be used as a verb.
    • snowbird: a Canadian who spends the winter in the States (often Florida). Often retired.
    There are a few meaning differences between Canadian and American English; for example, to table a document in Canada is to present it, whereas in the U.S. it means to withdraw it from consideration.

Canadians mostly use the term 'gasoline', rather than the British term 'petrol'. Gasoline prices require some awkward translation between Canadian and American figures. Even before the metrication efforts of the 1970s, the translation of "dollars per gallon" required not only replacing Canadian vs. American currencies but also a conversion between Imperial (4.5 L) vs. US (3.8 L) gallons.

When pronouncing letters of the alphabet, Canadians will almost invariably use the Anglo-European (and French) "zed" rather than the American "zee" for the letter Z. Canadian students add "grade" before their grade level, instead of after it as is the usual, but not sole, American practice. For example, a student in "10th grade" in the USA would be in "Grade 10" in Canada. (Quebec anglophones may instead say "sec 5" (secondary 5) for Grade 11.) It should also be noted that in Canada, the specific high school grade (eg. Grade 9 or Grade 12) or university year is stated and not the American terms "freshman" or "sophomore". Also, while in the United States the term "college" refers to post-secondary education in general, the term "college" has a different meaning in Canada. It refers to either a post-secondary technical or vocational institutions, or to the colleges that exist as individual institutions within some Canadian universities. Most often, "college" is a community college, not a university. In Canada "college student" might denote someone obtaining a diploma in plumbing while "university student" is the term for someone earning a BA.

Past participles also tend to be used differently in Canada and the United States. In general, Canadian English speakers will tend to say "the cookies are burnt"; Americans will say "the cookies are burned."

There is also greater resistance to turning nouns into verbs in Canada. Until recently, many Canadian teachers rejected the verb to contact.

Adoption of metric units is more advanced in Canada than in the US due to governmental efforts during the Trudeau era; while Canadians still often use pounds, feet and inches to measure and weigh themselves, outdoor temperatures, food packaging, fuel and highway speeds/distances are almost always metric.

The Bob & Doug McKenzie "Take off to the Great White North" comedy routines, popular in the early 1980s, drew heavily on linguistic differences such as pronunciation (such as 'Trona' for Toronto or 'brudle' for brutal) as well as once-obscure historical terms such as "hoser" or "hosehead" (originally used to refer to gas siphoning on the prairies in the depression era).

The province of Newfoundland and Labrador, which was an independent dominion until April 1, 1949, has its own dialect distinct from Canadian English. (See Newfoundland English.) Just as regional accents within Canada have become less distinct, Canadian English has tended to converge with American English. With each passing generation, Canadian English has evolved towards a common North American English.
    Canadian slang
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Canadian slang consists of words and phrases of slang exclusive to or originating from Canada. It is important to note that many of these words are regional and not used in all areas.

List of Canadian slang words or phrases:

2-4 — (two four) a case of 24 beers
    26er (also 2-6) — a 26 oz. (750 ml) bottle of alcohol
    40 — a 40 oz. (1.14 L) bottle of alcohol (see forty pounder)
    66er — a 66 oz. (1.89 L) bottle of alcohol (see gripper)
    alcool — grain alcohol; everclear (from French, but pronounced as in English)
    Asiancourt — a derogatory term for an area of Scarborough, Agincourt, which has a high Asian (Chinese) population
    Baywop — Someone living in a rural area centered around a bay. Mostly used in the West Coast of Newfoundland
    Beaner — Someone living in a planned housing area. Refers to "The Bean", an area of planned housing in Corner Brook, Newfoundland and Labrador. The origin of the name is unknown.
    Beaver Tail — A dessert food basically consisting of a pastry, covered in maple syrup and other toppings. Given its name because it resembles the shape of a beaver's tail.
    The Bend, le Coude — the City of Moncton, New Brunswick
    BiWay — see Zellers
    Blahttawa — Derogatory name for Canada's Capital (Ottawa), referring to its lack of club scene, lack of culture, and boring postcard-esque perfection.
    Bluenoser — a term for a resident of Nova Scotia
    Bramadesh — nickname for Toronto suburb, Bramalea, which is home to many Pakistani-Canadians and Indo-Canadians.
    ByTown — Ottawa, Ontario (Bytown is the former name of the capital of Canada)
    Buck — unit of 100, most commonly directly replaces "dollar" ($1.25 — "a buck twenty five", $1.50 — "a buck fifty"), also used to describe highway speed ("I got caught doing a buck-thirty on the 401" meaning "I was caught driving at a speed of 130km/h on Highway 401")
    Buds — the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team, also marijuana
    bunnyhug — a hooded sweatshirt (Saskatchewan)
    Caker — is short for "Mange Cake" (pronounced manja cake, Italian for "cake-eater") and refers to Canadians of Anglo origin. It is said that the term originated in Italian-Canadian kitchens as a type of gentle mockery of Anglophone Canada's bland cultural and culinary habits.
    Canuck — Canadian
    Caper — Someone from Cape Breton (Nova Scotia)
    Chinook — A warm, dry wind experienced along the eastern side of the Rocky Mountains in the United States and Canada. Most common in winter and spring, it can result in a rise in temperature of 20C (35 to 40F) in a quarter of an hour.
    chocolate bar — a candy bar, whether it actually contains chocolate or not.
    click — kilometre or kilometres per hour (sometimes spelled "klick").
    The Coke — Very local slang for Etobicoke, Ontario, a municipality that is now part of Toronto. The "k" is silent in the prononciation of Etobicoke.
    CFA (Comes-From-Away) — a term used in the Atlantic provinces to refer to visitors or residents who weren't born and raised in Eastern Canada. This term can be used in an affectionate manner, or an exclusionary manner.
    Cowtown — Calgary, Alberta
    Cougar — a middle-aged (or above) woman, dressed to the nines, out on the prowl looking for young (20–35 year old) men
    Crappy Tire or Ukrainian Tire— Canadian Tire
    Currey — A derogatory term for Surrey, British Columbia for its high Sikh population.
    Curry Hill A derogatory term for an area in Oakville, Ontario for its high Pakistani population.
    Deadmonton — negative reference to Edmonton, Alberta
    Dead Rear — Red Deer, Alberta
    deke, deke out — to feint, to trick or avoid someone "to deke out of a meeting" or, to deftly maneuver around a sporting opponent (esp. in hockey)
    ****, **** all — nothing
    Dipper — a member of the New Democratic Party
    Dogan — a Catholic; abusive, and now dying out
    double-double — a coffee with double cream, double sugar (especially, but not exclusively, from Tim Hortons). Triple-triple and four-by-four (less common) are three and four creams/sugars, respectively.
    Drum — Drumheller, Alberta
    Edmonchuk — A name for Edmonton, Alberta, referring to the large Ukrainian population.
    eh — a spoken interjection to ascertain the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed. May also be used instead of huh? or what?. Meaning please repeat or say again.
    E-town — Edmonton, Alberta also Esquimalt (for example, E-Town boys)
    The Fax — An amiable name for Halifax, Nova Scotia's capital.
    Fish Police (also Tree Cop and Critter Cop) — Derogatory reference to Federal or Provincial Fisheries or Wildlife Officers.
    fock — Alternate spelling/pronounciation of "****" used primarily by francophones while speaking english (not to be confused with phoque, the french for seal)
    forty pounder (forty ouncer) — a 40 oz. bottle of alcohol (see 40)
    Frog — A derogatory name given to French Canadians
    ghetto blaster — a portable stereo system. The term was common throughout North America at one time, but is still common in Canada.
    The Gap — Regina, Saskatchewan
    Gina — a female (usually of Mediterranean descent) who dresses in tight clothing usually with fluffy accents; Ginas are usually only labelled as such because of their association with Ginos (see below) (this word may be considered a racial slur against Italian women, but many young people associate it exclusively with the Gino/Gina subculture with or without a negative connotation).
    Gino — a male (usually of Mediterranean descent) who dresses in tight clothing (particularly denim), uses hair gel, wears gold chains, and has a macho attitude (this word may be considered a racial slur against Italian men, but many young people associate it exclusively with the Gino/Gina subculture with or without a negative connotation).
    Giv'n'r — used to describe any act carried out with extreme exhuberance or to its fullest potential. "We were just Giv'n'r last night."
    Goler — The name of a family accused of mass incest on South Mountain in the Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia in 1984. The accusations implicated sixteen adults (both men and women) with incest and sexual abuse of children as young as five. The abuse had been perpetuated over several generations. The term is now used as an insult, e.g "He's a goler."
    goof — 1: cheap sherry or fortified wine; 2: a mild insult; 3: to make a mistake (a goof, to goof)
    Grit — a member of the Liberal Party of Canada
    Gripper — a 66 oz. bottle of liquor. So named for either having a looped handle on the bottle neck, or matching indented "grips" on the body of the bottle.
    GTA — frequently used acronym for 'Greater Toronto Area'
    Habs — the Montreal Canadiens hockey team (from a contraction of habitants, a term for residents of New France). Predominantly used by English fans of the team. (Pronounced as in English, not as in French.)
    Hali — Halifax, Nova Scotia
    The Hammer — the City of Hamilton, Ontario
    The Hat — Medicine Hat, Alberta
    Hogtown — the City of Toronto
    Hongcouver — somewhat negative reference to the city of Vancouver, so called because of its high Asian population (especially in reference to the large amount of immigrants from Hong Kong).
    honger — Derogatory name for immigrants from Hong Kong used by mandarin-speaking and Canadianized Chinese.
    hoser — a stereotype and a mild insult
    homo milk — homogenized milk, particularly with a fat content greater than 2%, usually 3.25%. Referred to in the USA as whole milk.
    The Hub City — the city of Moncton, New Brunswick
    hydro — 1: (except Alberta) commonly as a synonym for electrical service, as in "The hydro bill is due on the fifteenth". Many Canadian provincial electric companies generate power from hydroelectricity, and incorporate the term "Hydro" in their names; 2: Hydroponically grown plants of any type, but especially used to refer to hydroponically grown marijuana; usage: "Manitoba Hydro... It's not just a Power Company anymore."
    jib — methamphetamine (West/Central Canada)
    jib-tech warrior — drug addict who is awake for long periods looking for things to steal. (British Columbia)
    The Kap — Kapuskasing, Ontario
    K-Country — Kananaskis, Alberta
    K.D. — Slang for Kraft Dinner, the macaroni with orange cheese sauce
    Kitchiloo, KW or Kdub — Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario
    Knob — a more serious insult, usually considered vulgar
    Ktown — Kingston, Ontario
    The LB — Saskatchewan Liquor Board Store
    Lethbian — Citizen of Lethbridge, Alberta
    LC (Elcee)— Slang for Manitoba Liquor Control Commission (MLCC), the government-run liquor stores in Manitoba; also for Nova Scotia's 'Liquor Commission'.
    Loonie — Canadian one dollar coin
    Lotus Land — British Columbia, especially the Lower Mainland around Vancouver
    Low Blows — Loblaws grocery stores
    Mainland — All of British Columbia except the islands
    Mainlander — Used by Newfoundlanders to refer to a person from mainland Canada; often used in the derogatory.
    Manisnowba — Manitoba, referring to the harsh winters with a large average snowfall (see also Winterpeg)
    May 2–4 — the Victoria Day holiday which takes place on the third Monday in May, on or around May 24. It also refers to the entire three day holiday weekend, which is Canada's "unofficial" start of the summer season, when many open cottages after the winter. (Note that the term May two-four may be used to refer to this weekend even if the holiday falls as early as May 17.) The name is a conscious pun on the date and the case of beer which is traditionally drunk on this holiday.
    Maylong — see above; contraction of "May long weekend".
    mickey — a small (13 oz.) bottle of liquor, shaped to fit in a pocket. Also fits conveniently alongside the calf of a cowboy boot or rubber boot.
    Monkeytown — Moncton, New Brunswick
    The Mountain — term used to describe the Niagara escarpment that runs along Hamilton, ON. Most decidedly NOT a mountain.
    Mountie (also Mounty) — a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
    N-Dipper — A member of the New Democratic Party.
    Newfie, Newf — a person from Newfoundland; often considered derogatory if used by someone other than a Newfoundlander.
    Nish — racist slang for a Native Canadian (from Anishinabe, the Ojibwa word for "Ojibwa")
    The Peg — Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Pepper — Word used to describe French/Francophone Canadians
    Pig — Prince George, British Columbia
    pogey — unemployment benefit (Especially in Newfoundland.)
    prolly — A substitution for the word probably. ("Prolly going for a bike ride.") (Especially in southwestern British Columbia.)
    "Puck Bunny" — A young girl who pursues hockey players. Usually slutty, dumb, and soon to be pregnant.
    R.C. — a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police ("I was pulled over by the R.C.'s.")
    Redmonton — derogatory name for Edmonton, Alberta, referring to its left-leaning politics relative to the rest of the province.
    Red Neck — derogatory term used in referece to people in the prairie region of Western Canada. (See Redmonton)
    The Rock — Newfoundland (also used for Vancouver Island on the west coast)
    Runners — term for running shoes or 'sneakers'
    Saskabush — Saskatchewan or in some circles, Saskatoon
    SARSborough — Scarborough, a nickname for the Toronto suburb following the SARS incident.
    Scarbados — Scarborough Nickname for the Toronto suburb based on its large Black population
    Scarberia — Scarborough, a suburban part of Toronto, a derogatory reference to its desolation
    Scarlem — Alternative name for Scarborough (refers to Harlem), a derogatory reference to its somewhat high crime rate.
    Screech — a particularly potent brand of Newfoundland rum
    "take off" — expression of disagreement or command to leave, similar to "get lost" ("Take off, you hoser!").
    The Shwa — Oshawa, Ontario
    Singhdale — Nickname for the Springdale neighborhood of Brampton, Ontario; name comes from the large Punjabi/Sikh population in the area
    Sixty-Sixer — A term for a sixty-six ounce (1.75L) bottle of Liquor.
    Skid — Derogatory term for someone who wears an 80s metal t-shirt, jean jacket, dirty/acid-washed jeans, a mullet, drives a trans-am, and/or lives in a trailer park.
    Skookum — A term used exclusively in British Columbia, from a Chinuk word meaning "strong, powerful, good, cool, superlative or first rate" but also currently used to indicate "very good". (Skookum party last night, eh?)
    Smog dog — hotdog from a Toronto street vendor (also called Street dog and Street meat)
    The Smoke — Toronto
    spores — Magic Mushrooms
    Speedy Creek — Swift Current, Saskatchewan
    Square Head/English Muffin — Words used to describe English/Anglo Canadians, the former in French is "Tκte Carrι"
    Square of Beer — term used to describe a case of 24 bottles, as it resembles a square (used by Bob & Doug McKenzie in Strange Brew)
    Steeltown — the city of Hamilton, Ontario
    S'toon — Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
    Stupidstore — The Real Canadian Superstore (known as Atlantic Superstore in the Atlantic Provinces)
    The Soo, The Sault — Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
    Swish — Homemade low-quality liquor.
    Swiss Pigeon — nickname for Swiss Chalet chicken restaurant
    T. O. — Toronto
    t-dot — Toronto (from T. O.)
    Telecaster — Term used in Nova Scotia to refer to a newspaper TV listings publication
    Townie — 1: Someone living in an urban area. Mostly used in the West Coast of Newfoundland; 2: Synonym for "a local", often heard in small university towns in reference to the students who are actually from the town.
    Tundra Bay, T-Bay — Thunder Bay, Ontario
    Tim's, Timmy's, Timmy Ho's, Timmy Ho-Ho's — Tim Hortons doughnut chain
    Tipper — A 3.75 litre bottle of liquor, sold with a metal frame used to support the bottle when pouring.
    Toonie — Canadian two-dollar coin
    Toon Town — Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
    Tory — a member of the Conservative Party of Canada; previously used to refer to one of its predecessors, the Progressive Conservatives
    Turkeytown — Derogatory East Coast term for Toronto
    twofer, two-four — a case of 24 beers (see 2-4)
    Ukrainian Tire — a nasty racist slur against Canadian Tire and Ukrainians of Canadian Descent. However, most Ukrainian-Canadians will not take offence, and will actually grin when you refer to the store as such.
    Upper-Canadian — A name (usually derogatory) for a person from Southern Ontario referring to the old (pre-1840) name for the province. Usually used by Atlantic Canadians.
    Van (Van-City) — Vancouver
    Vic — Victoria
    Vico — a small carton of chocolate milk (Saskatchewan)
    Winterpeg — Winnipeg, referring to that city's harsh winters ("We're goin' to Winterpeg, Manisnowba!")
    Zellers — cheap (from the name of a chain of discount stores); is derogatory
    F.O.B - Means fresh off the boat, a derogatory term aimed at newly arrived asian immigrants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_slang

sorry i just copied and pasted from this site...if some offensive...im sorry...no such tactic was intended
    Hosers and Texicans...what a combination. Neither can speak english very well
    the lack of oxygen must be affecting your judgement
    and, Dutch, if you're staying tuned in... you'll be able to follow Kanuck and Texan posts much easier after all this when you get back next week...

N.B. - We now have Martha's recipe for baking a file into a cake... don't break a tooth.
    the lack of oxygen must be affecting your judgement
    le manque d'oxygθne doit affecter votre jugement
    Mon jugement?!? Mon jugement ne sera pas en question a ce moment...c'est le jugement de vous...madame qu'habite un (mile) haute l'ocean
    I beg to differ madam!!!

Mon jugement?!? Mon jugement ne sera pas en question a ce moment...c'est le jugement de vous...madame qu'habite un (mile) haute l'ocean
    Wow!!!! I remembered just enough French to understand that!!!!

Edit: combining my 2 posts so as not to vomit-post.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast