Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Even off topic posts need to be steered back on topic occasionally. That's what I was trying to do in order to maintain peace. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to work.
    Huh? Why? Isn't that why there is an off topic forum?

I can see putting a stop to a flame war, but harmless posts that are meant to make people laugh should be ENCOURAGED, not berated. The 4 posts in question were not inflamatory in any way.

I won't speak for ToolkiT, nor will I reverse his decision at this point. I just don't understand (nor can I accept) the fact that everything ends up being the mods fault around here. There was plenty of trolling, and troll feeding going on before we stepped in.
    I understand your position of not wanting to question the actions of another mod...you need to stand together, but it seems pretty clear that the other mod over-reacted.
    Can't any of the users accept any responsibility for their actions once in a while?
    With respect to flaming one another, your argument may be valid, but I don't think it applies in this case. Perhaps the mods should also have to accept a little responsibility for their actions?

You, Mark, stated that the thread should stay on topic. 4 posts later it is closed by Toolkit. Of the 4 posts, 2 were mildly off topic, but nowhere near being a flame or "troll feeder". They were meant to be funny, and they were.

How about we just drop it and move on?
    The mods always seem to want us to "drop it" whenever their actions are called into question. As woof pointed out...that's the nature of holding a position of power. I view this statement as an example of the MODS needing to have the last word. Yes, I've heard the arguments along the lines of "if you don't like how we run the show, leave". I think that's a lousy argument. This is a FORUM. There should be DISCUSSION.

Toolkit should explain why he felt the need to close the thread, maybe that would clear up this discussion. Without that, it is hard to view that action as anything other than an overreaction.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    How about you just let us chat and ignore it unless it gets into namecalling and profanity and such.
    Isn't that what caused this whole mess in the first place?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    As mark said we can't go through all of the threads with a fine comb, we simply don't have the time (it would be a full time job).
    However if you see a post like that use the triangle button and we'll move it.

Why on earth would I want to use the triangle; thats for bad post. IMO, just because a post is in the wrong place doesnt make it a bad.
    Am I to ignore the validity of a post simply because it wasnt placed where you thought it should go?

Do you go after people who spam the forums with the SAME topic in each category/forum?
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Huh? Why? Isn't that why there is an off topic forum?
    Off Topic does not mean anything goes.

Off Topic
    Talk about almost anything. No flames please.

With respect to flaming one another, your argument may be valid, but I don't think it applies in this case.
    It certainly applies as to why the thread was originally closed.

Perhaps the mods should also have to accept a little responsibility for their actions?
    I feel that I do. I can't help it if you or others aren't happy with every decision I make. That's the nature of this "position of power" and I accept that.

The mods always seem to want us to "drop it" whenever their actions are called into question.
    Again, in this case, what happened PRIOR to the first closing had nothing to do with us mods. There was all-out flaming between a few parties and it even spilled over into at least two other threads. We didn't cause that.

This is a FORUM. There should be DISCUSSION.
    I have no problem with DISCUSSION when it's focused, relevant (even in Off Topic), and not inflammatory.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    Why on earth would I want to use the triangle; thats for bad post.
    It can be used for reporting any post for any reason. We get many reports of threads in the wrong forum.

Do you go after people who spam the forums with the SAME topic in each category/forum?
    We try to delete the duplicate posts and keep one in the most appropriate place. If someone insists on continuing that behavior, we'll usually send a PM warning.
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    My point is that ttrundle's comments were inflammmatory and irrelevant to dog pictures. He posted repeatedly how the breed needs to be wiped out.

I reported him and was told the exact opposite of what you say.

Basically...

get over it...it's off topic, anything goes.
    Fair, productive questions have been asked which pertain to the thread in question, why is it these questions are skipped and those that aren't as important are answered?
    1 | 2
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    My point is that ttrundle's comments were inflammmatory and irrelevant to dog pictures. He posted repeatedly how the breed needs to be wiped out.

I reported him and was told the exact opposite of what you say.

Basically...

get over it...it's off topic, anything goes.
    Not to mention that it makes no sense to close a popular thread when there is ONE person trying to pick a fight
    1 | 2
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    i moderate a very busy forum, and i have found that its impossible to make all a members happy. you jus do what you do and move on to the next n00b mistake to be corrected.
    As do I, yet I also understand that while its impossible to make all members happy, something has to be going on extremely crucial to close an entire topic.

Why penalize 99 people when its only 1 causing the disruption?
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    OK, but they then stated that it was closed due to flaming.

And please point to a thread with more than 20 posts that does not contain any off topic posting. It's the norm around here.

I still think closing the thread was an over reaction.
    None of the TC mods will ever admit to overreacting!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    How about we just drop it and move on?
    IMO, this statement right here is a major part of the problems that exist here.
    Once someone starts to feel that a post has reached its zenith, they jump in and start with the "drop its" and "move ons."

What is the purpose of having a forum if we are to be treated as though we are in grade school. And since when did the exchanging of anything mean one couldnt do it and have fun while doing so.

I have to admit, TreoCentral is the only site that I am a part of that gets policed in this fashion. The sad part is that a mod or 2 has also made some comments that had nothing to do with the original topic in a post and no one is running around telling them to drop it and move on.

If I want to know why I cant perform a hotsync, I expect some clever comment about not putting my Treo in the microwave to come from Insert.....I mean, someone.

Practically EVERY topic now gets OFF TOPIC!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    treated as though we are in grade school
    Unfortunately, there are some who ACT like they are in grade school!
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650

You're right, "SOME," but you're (mods) actions affect all. You want us to be civilized adults, sorry buddy, but I'm a toys r us kid and nothing about your ultimate decisons is going to stop me from coming here and ENJOYING myself; if there was no FUN value in it, I wouldnt have been here as long as I have!

Since when did forum discussion mean we would all join hands and sing in harmony? Hell, I might get stuck holding Insertion's hand and I dont know whens the last time he washed them.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Hell, I might get stuck holding Insertion's hand and I dont know whens the last time he washed them.

Unfortunately that can apply to anyone. Mods included. Closing a thread and telling everyone to just shut up and let it go is no more mature than many of the other actions that take place around here.

Scandelex is dead on. I frequent lots of other forums and TC is unique in its moderation style. It seems to be a lot of politically correct control issues more than anything at times. There is very little diplomacy and virtually no apologies from the mods.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson

Since when did forum discussion mean we would all join hands and sing in harmony? Hell, I might get stuck holding Insertion's hand and I dont know whens the last time he washed them.
    For all you know, our hands have been in the same place
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Funny how in the pet thread, it can be closed after a warning and 2 possibly off topic posts and yet this thread

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...2&page=1&pp=20

can runs pages (the last 2 or 3) of off topic posts and not a sign of any moderation at all. All the same players, except the pit bull hater and yet no warning about being off topic.

Granted I am not asking anyone to go there and police the action. It would just be nice to see some consistency. I know it's been said many times "we can read them all". Maybe there aren't enough of you. I mean what do we have here for mods?

MarkEagle - frequent presence and frequent action.
    Toolkit - about the same
    Ronbo2000 - not much action from this guy.
    KRamsauer - scarce of late
    Miradu - who?
    Marcus - Only shows up rarely
    James - So infrequent I cant even remember his login name.
    WeeBitObsessed - honorary staff member?

So we have what it seems to be 2 full time mods and 2 part timers and 3 maybe four occasional visitors. Seems pretty clear to me that understaffing is an issue.

<--going to wash my hands.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Off Topic does not mean anything goes.
    But doesn't it mean that the threads can be off topic??? I agree that not EVERYTHING goes, but come on...it's in the name.
    It certainly applies as to why the thread was originally closed.
    While I think your original closing of the thread was also an over-reaction, we're talking about the second closing by Toolkit....please try to stay on topic.
    I feel that I do. I can't help it if you or others aren't happy with every decision I make. That's the nature of this "position of power" and I accept that.
    Whether or not we are happy about a mods decision is not the issue....mods should have to EXPLAIN their actions, rather than the arbitrary and inconsistent actions we have seen here that go without clear explanation.
    Again, in this case, what happened PRIOR to the first closing had nothing to do with us mods. There was all-out flaming between a few parties and it even spilled over into at least two other threads. We didn't cause that.
    Again, we are CLEARLY discussing the second closing of the thread. If flaming continued after you reopened the thread, I'd agree with you. It didn't. Toolkit over-reacted. That's the issue. Please address THAT, not your ORIGINAL actions.
    I have no problem with DISCUSSION when it's focused, relevant (even in Off Topic), and not inflammatory.
    We are trying to have a focused, relevant discussion here, but you keep referring to the original closing of the thread in some of your responses (as opposed to the topic at hand....Toolkits over-reaction). You also outright ignore other questions/comments if they even HINT at a mod being wrong. That is not an open discussion. If the actions of the mods were warranted, then it should be a simple matter to state your case. Whether everyone agrees with it or not is not nearly as important as the fact that your reasons are stated. Without out, your (the mods) actions seem arbitrary and inconsistent. I don't think that this is an unreasonable expectation on the behalf of the forum members.

Let me state for the record that I am not trying to beat up on the mods. It's a thankless job and overall the mods at TC do a decent job. The past few months, however, there has been a pretty clear trend of arbitrary and inconsistent moderation. The minute and mods actions are questioned, you all go on the defensive. My suggestion is to explain rather than defend. If your reasoning is in fact sound and just, then defense becomes completely unnecessary.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    For all you know, our hands have been in the same place
    LOL....mine were at the nail salon?!?
    ~ ScandaLous ~

LOL....mine were at the nail salon?!?
    Me too!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast