Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 154
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    These posts constitute a flame war?

    Marks warning and the exact posts that followed it. Please explain the flame element here.

    Please explain the flame war going on here after Mark's warning. Maybe I am blind or stupid but I don't see it.
    In fairness to Mark, his warning was for "off-topic" posting, not flaming. Apparently the last post was the last straw. If you consider the post was made by the king of off-topic posting...
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    In fairness to Mark, his warning was for "off-topic" posting, not flaming. Apparently the last post was the last straw. If you consider the post was made by the king of off-topic posting...
    But the forum is called OFF TOPIC. Isn't that a bit contradictory?
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    In fairness to Mark, his warning was for "off-topic" posting, not flaming. Apparently the last post was the last straw. If you consider the post was made by the king of off-topic posting...
    Ya but Mark didnt close it. Toolkit did. And if anyone expects anything but what Insertion always delivers, they are fooling themselves. Besides the topic was "share a pic of your dog (or other pet)" It didnt define pet, so Insertion may not have been off the mark. Point is it WAS NOT a flame war when Toolkit closed it, unless that term has bee redifined.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    In fairness to Mark, his warning was for "off-topic" posting, not flaming. Apparently the last post was the last straw. If you consider the post was made by the king of off-topic posting...
    Woman, I let you out of the cage while I'm asleep, and this is what you do? Not only are you going back into the bedside kennel, but the ball gag will be implemented as well!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  5. #45  
    gimp...
    Attached Images Attached Images
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    But the forum is called OFF TOPIC. Isn't that a bit contradictory?
    Yes, it was in the off-topic section, but he did specifically say to stay on the topic of the thread, pictures of pets.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    Yes, it was in the off-topic section, but he did specifically say to stay on the topic of the thread, pictures of pets.
    OK, but they then stated that it was closed due to flaming.

    And please point to a thread with more than 20 posts that does not contain any off topic posting. It's the norm around here.

    I still think closing the thread was an over reaction.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    But the forum is called OFF TOPIC. Isn't that a bit contradictory?
    Even off topic posts need to be steered back on topic occasionally. That's what I was trying to do in order to maintain peace. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to work.

    I won't speak for ToolkiT, nor will I reverse his decision at this point. I just don't understand (nor can I accept) the fact that everything ends up being the mods fault around here. There was plenty of trolling, and troll feeding going on before we stepped in. Can't any of the users accept any responsibility for their actions once in a while? Even now in this thread it seems that everyone has to get the last word.

    How about we just drop it and move on?
    .
    .....
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Ya but Mark didnt close it. Toolkit did. And if anyone expects anything but what Insertion always delivers, they are fooling themselves. Besides the topic was "share a pic of your dog (or other pet)" It didnt define pet, so Insertion may not have been off the mark. Point is it WAS NOT a flame war when Toolkit closed it, unless that term has bee redifined.
    I am not trying to start an argument, especially with you...you can get intense. I agree ttrundle's constant focus on pit bulls was the ultimate reason for the thread being closed. I was simply pointing out that Mark's warning was for staying on topic not flaming. Tool just followed through on Mark's threat.

    And contrary to the Monkey's post above, I am not his slave and highly doubt the mods would believe that is an actual pet. The fact that we all expect Insertion to lead the thread astray, could be the very reason the mods nipped it when they did.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Woman, I let you out of the cage while I'm asleep, and this is what you do? Not only are you going back into the bedside kennel, but the ball gag will be implemented as well!!
    You'd have to catch me first!
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Even off topic posts need to be steered back on topic occasionally. That's what I was trying to do in order to maintain peace. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to work.

    I won't speak for ToolkiT, nor will I reverse his decision at this point. I just don't understand (nor can I accept) the fact that everything ends up being the mods fault around here. There was plenty of trolling, and troll feeding going on before we stepped in. Can't any of the users accept any responsibility for their actions once in a while? Even now in this thread it seems that everyone has to get the last word.

    How about we just drop it and move on?
    The point is, there was 1 member in particular that was doing his best to turn the thread into an argument, and in turn the entire thread ( which was a pretty damn good thread imo ) is closed.

    Adding to that, there was a "FINAL WARNING" or whatever you want to call it, and yet the thread was still closed with NO explanation

    Modding isn't rocket science, read through the pages of the thread and it's easy to see who was constantly attempting to initiate argument. He should of been suspended/banned after he was specifically warned and he wasn't, he continued to kill the thread. Even then, any mod could of deleted all of the 'off-topic' posts in the thread and it could of continued.
    1 | 2
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    Yes, it was in the off-topic section, but he did specifically say to stay on the topic of the thread, pictures of pets.
    And so what was ttrundle's excuse, since he couldn't even manage to do that? I don't think thread-crapping keeps the thread on topic.
    I'm back!
  13. #53  
    ...and I have to ask, why was this thread ( that I started ) merged with some other thread that has ZERO relevance? I really don't get it, but I'm here to hear the explanation, thanks.
    1 | 2
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel
    ...and I have to ask, why was this thread ( that I started ) merged with some other thread that has ZERO relevance? I really don't get it, but I'm here to hear the explanation.
    I was trying to figger that as well...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  15. #55  
    Unless they just want one big "Dunk The Mod" Tank instead of several smaller ones??
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  16. #56  
    it's weird that this thread has the title I named it, but the first 19 posts have absolutely nothing to do with the reason why I started this thread. There was no reason to merge it, whether they felt like they wanted a big "Dunk The Mod" thread or not.
    1 | 2
  17. #57  
    Are you insinuating that the merged posts might be....OFF TOPIC????
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Even off topic posts need to be steered back on topic occasionally. That's what I was trying to do in order to maintain peace. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to work.
    4 posts after your warning. 3 were of a pet related nature and one even contained a picture. What didn't work?

    I won't speak for ToolkiT, nor will I reverse his decision at this point. I just don't understand (nor can I accept) the fact that everything ends up being the mods fault around here.
    Those in positions of power are regularly criticized for their actions by those not in power. Fact of life. If that is so hard to stomach, give up the position. Can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen kinda thing.
    There was plenty of trolling, and troll feeding going on before we stepped in.
    that happens all over the place. it's the nature of a forum. Why is that such a big deal?
    Can't any of the users accept any responsibility for their actions once in a while?
    I am curious what responsibility is needing to be taken here. One person was crapping heavily on that thread and as near as we can tell nothing happened to him. Everyone else was trying for the most part to stay on topic and asked this person to stop. Yes some of disagreed with him because we felt his position was inaccurate but he would not let it go. Just kept coming back with more posts. As I said before, even after being asked to stop and reported. WHy isn't he being held responsible?
    Even now in this thread it seems that everyone has to get the last word.
    The last word? We are having a discussion. That is what this place is for. Why does that bother you?

    How about we just drop it and move on?
    Why does the topic of mod criticism bother you so much. If you don't think you need to defend yourselves, why do you? And why is it such a big deal if people talk about it? Do you have a overactive need to be liked? No disrespect intended but who gives a crap if some of the users don't like you. Some of the users don't like me (mods too for that matter). Who cares? I don't come here to be liked. I come here because there is a wealth of treo info, some great humor (when it's allowed) and lots of great passionate discussions.

    How about you just let us chat and ignore it unless it gets into namecalling and profanity and such. Questioning authority is healthy and not against the rules, at least not yet.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    And so what was ttrundle's excuse, since he couldn't even manage to do that? I don't think thread-crapping keeps the thread on topic.
    OMG!!! I do not agree with ttrundle. I actually argued against him in that thread. I happen to agree, completely, with what MFizzel said. I think there were other ways it could have been handled and it was a really nice thread in a sea of worthless ones.

    I was simply addressing ONE question Woof asked. So much time is spent bashing the mods, I was just clarifying how I took Mark's and Tool's posts. I never said "Yea, they closed the thread!" and I specifically stated I disagreed with ttrundle!!!
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    OMG!!! I do not agree with ttrundle. I actually argued against him in that thread. I happen to agree, completely, with what MFizzel said. I think there were other ways it could have been handled and it was a really nice thread in a sea of worthless ones.

    I was simply addressing ONE question Woof asked. So much time is spent bashing the mods, I was just clarifying how I took Mark's and Tool's posts. I never said "Yea, they closed the thread!" and I specifically stated I disagreed with ttrundle!!!
    Settle dahn nah. That question wasn't directed at you (unless you feel like answering it, which is pretty apparent you don't). My point was that he was TOLD to get the thread back on topic and still couldn't do it, and then it was closed because a "flame war" broke out, which I couldn't find. I was backing up your point with a RHETORICAL question. Sorry it wasn't followed by a half dozen smileys to further illustrate the point.

    It's past 5pm on the East coast, I think you need to hit the bar.
    I'm back!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions