Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Somehow, I wish we have a way to pre-review new user posting before letting it go through the main board. It will cut down on duplicates as well as questions that was answered before. Unfortunately, I think that requires a 24/7 monitoring and moderating.
    I also think a little confrontation to the ribbing is just as justified as the ribbing itself. I think the closing of threads and friendly step-ins by the mods are effective enough. This allows some humor but doesn't allow it to get out of control.
    Plus duplicate posts are not all bad from a user point of view. I get reminders all the time of things I either forgot or missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    For me its only 30% of the fun
    Its funny you say that. This morning I was missing tinkering with my Treo. I hadnt had a reset in 3 months. I hadnt done any realy great Treo detective work in forever. But there had always been a reset with the search tool. Not a treo problem, I had always had it, even with my ky 7135. So I picked everything apart and found out that town compass data viewer is the culpret.

I was all done, solved the issue. Great, just hard reset and replace my backup folder after gathering its loose ends.

I then accidentaly drag and dropped the contents of the archieve folder to the back up folder before restoring. What a mess.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I get reminders all the time of things I either forgot or missed.

Time to check into the clinic
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    Its funny you say that. This morning I was missing tinkering with my Treo. I hadnt had a reset in 3 months. I hadnt done any realy great Treo detective work in forever. But there had always been a reset with the search tool. Not a treo problem, I had always had it, even with my ky 7135. So I picked everything apart and found out that town compass data viewer is the culpret.

I was all done, solved the issue. Great, just hard reset and replace my backup folder after gathering its loose ends.

I then accidentaly drag and dropped the contents of the archieve folder to the back up folder before restoring. What a mess.
    yuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretender
    dude, that's the problem with people coming to this board and not doing any kind of research. i was using the search feature for no less than 3 weeks before i posted my first comment, which, incidentally, was to thank everyone for their inputs and research into the phone. when someone who has no interest in doing any research whatsoever comes in here and asks a question that those before him have also been too lazy to research, what is the expected response? to say, "use the search feature" is not an insult. it is a genuine helping statement. unless you're asking a truly technical question, chances are pretty good that it's been answered somewhere on this board already.
    Why in the world would I want to spend three weeks searching through countless posts that are usually just chit chat between the TC regulars when I can get an answer in less than a day from someone without a bone to pick over searching????
    I wake up, to find TreoCentral has been neutered. Cripes!

Has anyone any sack left??
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    Why in the world would I want to spend three weeks searching through countless posts that are usually just chit chat between the TC regulars when I can get an answer in less than a day from someone without a bone to pick over searching????

Your point is valid...the threads are cluttered. I have never responded with a "you should search" post unless I...

searched using a general terms from the posters own thread

and

such search yields answers in the first half of the first page of results.

how often has this happpened?

every time.

that however is not the real point of this thread...it is addressing the cowardly complaint in the the thread addressed in my initial post.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    It would be silly to think he meant he was serching for 1 answer for 3 weeks. It looks like your trying to over look that to make an unrealistic point. I have always been able to find answers faster with the search that awaiting a response to a thread asking for help.
    If this post offended someone,
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...28&postcount=5
    or this one:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...52&postcount=8
    then said whiner needs to put down his Treo and go back to his Speak & Spell.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  11.    #51  
    Your bad grammar/spelling in the second post was offensive to me... be gone
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Has anyone any sack left??
    I think some started with none!
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Your bad grammar/spelling in the second post was offensive to me... be gone
    Pardon me, is this an attempt at flaming me?? Don't make click that little triangle exclamation thingiemabob! And you sir, are off-topic. No, belay that, whiner!

I think I can offer a rationale why this 'whiner' would rather click the little triangle instead of just call Dutch and Insertion out about their comments.

When you come onto TC, right away you start seeing the number of posts that each person has and how long they have been a member (unless you are surfing on your treo...it doesn't show that on the wap version).

I can see how someone might be intimidated in complaining in a thread about Dutch and Insertion 'ganging' up on him/her. Look, between the two of you, you have 5-6000 posts (I don't know for sure because I am posted this from my treo and I am too lazy to get on my PC). Because TC requires you to register before you can post (which I love btw) someone would not want to identify themselves when they felt intimidated or 'attacked'. Plus, there are politics involved. If I complain about you two (I have just once I think) I run the risk of being harrassed in any other thread I post in.

By pressing the little triangle button, I keep my privacy and my ability to continue participating on the forum intact.

Now-I didn't press the triangle...so if you are going to flame me...do it because I like to play devils advocate and argue the other unpopular perspective :-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

One thing I'll add in defense of the frustrated newbs is that the Search Engine here is among the poorest I have used. I often done searches on threads by title and I find most of the hits don't even have the word in the title. I still think a lot of the newbs search frustrations would be eased if the defaults search was By Title rather than just anywhere in the post.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    ... <snip>I still think a lot of the newbs search frustrations would be eased if the defaults search was By Title rather than just anywhere in the post.
    Agree, the request has been sent.
    Agreed. Part of the problem is:

1. What are you searching for and what keywords you are using

2. and the fact that other topics get talked about in the thread and then that thread ends up being part of the results when you search (which 'overwhelms' someone who makes an honest attempt to search.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I think I can offer a rationale why this 'whiner' would rather click the little triangle instead of just call Dutch and Insertion out about their comments.
    t2, the thread in that started this had nothing to do with the original poster. Nothing I said, nor Dutch had anything to do with him. That's the problem. In fact, as far as some our (ahem) "Flame-fests", this was the equivalent of a wet match.

There maybey tricks to searching that newbs may not know. You can put your search words in a google box and click the text to the right of the box and google will move the screen to where that text is found on a page. This is way better than just looking for highlighted words. Keep clicking and the screen will bounce to the next occurrence of the word.
    Wow this is amazing.

Ronbo thanks for being a stand up guy in all this.

Dutch, I feel your pain. Some people have no sense of humor. God forbid we try to keep this place alive with a little humor.

To the complainer: I hope you drop your treo in the toilet with a big turd (or even a small one) and you neglected to get insurance.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast