View Poll Results: Should MarkEagle be removed as a moderator?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, he is doing a wonderful job protecting the decency of the TC forums. Watch What You

17 80.95%
  • Yes, he has gone to far this time; Freedom of Speech comes first.

6 28.57%
  • I dunno...but that sig file has some offensive words

3 14.29%
  • Roman Maroni said it best.

3 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Wow...how did I miss that thread??
    This one.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=78717

I just thought the language was inappropriate for this type of forum. I didn't look to see if anything was altered by the Mod though. But if they didn't delete or alter that one, why are they ragging on mlemke???

Edited: I took a peek, offensive language is still there. Inconsistent moderators.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Agree with second paragraph in regards to hypocracy. A case of do what I say, not what I do.
    Well, I don't think it's hypocracy due to the context. However, I have removed the link from my signature.

But in regards the first, we are not just "guests"; we are invited contirbutors
    No, you are guests. You weren't invited here; membership is open to all who qualify. You were also given the opportunity to read a TOS when you registered that stated no inappropriate language would be tolerated. Why should I not censor the very things you were told were in violation of that TOS?

without who TC would not flourish
    I've always said TC is what it is because of the members. When I censor, edit, warn, delete, or ban, it's in an effort to keep the community a pleasant place for all... even you Mike.

But to use a word that appears in over 300 other threads without incident as a lightening rod for censorship is a bit odd.
    Granted, if it were up to me I'd remove them all. They add nothing to the content here at TC. As the saying goes "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar". A complaint about anything can be made without resorting to vulgarities. Besides, I did NOT censor or edit the thread in question, I merely said the language was not welcomed here.

Bottom line, I (and the rest of the moderators) cannot possibly read every word of every thread around here. While it might appear that someone has gotten away with using inappropriate language because it has gone unedited, more often than not it's because we haven't seen it first hand.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    MarkEagle,

Y'all have a tough job. I moderated a chat a few years back; it's generally thankless work.

Has the suggestion to have a list of banned words been considered? It might make things a bit easier. Judgement calls based on subjective standards will always be open to debate. An explicit list could at least reduce that headache.

Regards,
    JeepDiver
    I'm closing this thread because the thought is entirely not up for discussion. MarkEagle has proved himself to be an amazing member and moderator for almost SIX YEARS. He has been here longer than I have. He has helped tens of thousands of readers. He has weathered through all of our struggles, our trouble users, and our great successes. Simply put, he is the heart and soul of this site, and I have no question of his choices or capabilities.

If you are unsatisfied with TreoCentral, by all means we are not forcing you to use our site. There is a limit to the freedom of speech on this forum as it is necessary to maintain an organized, legal, and welcoming environment. TreoCentral is a private entity, arguing with our moderators, and especially trying to publicly "shame" them, will do nothing to help your cause. I have faith in our moderators (who do this as volunteers nonetheless); their roles are not up for public discussion.

If you have an personal issue with a certain moderator, you are welcome to email or pm myself, and we will work together to solve any perceived problem internally.

-Michael Ducker
    Senior Editor, TreoCentral.com
    michael@treocentral.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12