1.    #1  
    There are too many people here, asking too many of the same repetitive questions. Why don't one of the moderators add a Wiki section (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH WIFI) that we can all contribute to? It could have instructions for Shadowmite hacks, status of wifi development, recommended apps, comparison of cellular services (excluding coverage since this will vary; or even include it, but user must list hometown or areas traveled), pros and cons of other phones compared against the 650, etc....

I've seen some of the same things typed in over and over and over and over and over again....and it's getting a bit ridiculous. Why not point the goofballs who can't search to the wiki section (and teach them how to search as well), and save the discussion for juicy and unprobed topics, eh???

Just an idea, think it would help both newbies and the experienced out in the long run...maybe even TreoCentral too!!
  2.    #2  
    Seems like open source philosophy -- just add features (or information in this case) onto what's already been created instead of rewriting it over and over and over and over again....

Peace out!
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Yes, many many topics get re-hashed over and over and over again. It is a bit ridiculous.

As a person that is VERY familiar with the search tool, I try to sift through the topics and pick out the "juicy and unprobed topics".. Those are the ones I read and contribute too.
    I don't know what you guys are talking about but my phone has a weird annoying delay when I dial, anyone else? Also can I use mp3 as ringers?

All joking aside, I agree about a WiKi, but such a collaborative project is very tough to do with a highly polarized community such as this one. I mean, what will the entry on resets say? "Many Treo 650's commonly resets itself at random with no apaprent cause, it's a known and widely reported problem with no known cause or fix. BUT MY TREO 650 NEVER RESETS EVER SO THEREFORE THIS ENTRY SHOULD NOT EXIST"

I still think it's a good idea though.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Why not point the goofballs who can't search to the wiki section (and teach them how to search as well)
    If people learned how to search, there's be no need for any special sections. Let's face it, it's not rocket science, but many people just won't learn or use the search feature.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Not to mention the fact that people still insist on posting in the wrong forums...

I've moved this to TreoCentral.com where it belongs.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    If people learned how to seaorch, there's be no need for any special sections. Let's face it, it's not rocket science, but many people just won't learn or use the search feature.
    ------
    Not to mention the fact that people still insist on posting in the wrong forums...

Yea, my bad, Mark....I have a nasty habit of posting in the forum with all the action. Ya know, the one where everybody'll actually read it.

I just feel like as time passes, users will actually get more wanted information from Wikipedia than from just searching Google. Hence, a wiki section for Treocentral could and probably would be a lot more useful than just searching Treocentral.

And in response to NSi, I think stuff like resets, voice quality, cellular coverage wouldn't be on there because they're opinionated or vary from phone to phone, user to user, place to place. I mean, this would be strictly information to get the most out of your Treo. Basically, it'd be the uber complete 650 manual that was never written. And anybody could edit the Wiki unless they get modded out of the Wiki section...or only a select few could contribute...who knows, it's up to you!

COME ON GUYS, I KNOW MOST OF YOU HAVE NO LIVES, SO GET TO WORK AND MAKE EVERYBODY ELSE'S TREO EXPERIENCE BETTER!!

Touche'
    [QUOTE=grndslm] Why not point the goofballs who can't search to the wiki section (and teach them how to search as well), and save the discussion for juicy and unprobed topics, eh??? <QUOTE>

maybe a little tolerance and less name calling would earn your idea some respect. I've been a Treocentral user for well over a year now and hold your hat, I sometimes purposefully DO NOT search so I can get fresh ideas. I mean in the grand scheme of things can't you just deal? geeez
  10.    #10  
    [QUOTE=ttrundle]
    Why not point the goofballs who can't search to the wiki section (and teach them how to search as well), and save the discussion for juicy and unprobed topics, eh??? <QUOTE>

maybe a little tolerance and less name calling would earn your idea some respect. I've been a Treocentral user for well over a year now and hold your hat, I sometimes purposefully DO NOT search so I can get fresh ideas. I mean in the grand scheme of things can't you just deal? geeez
    What the hell are you talking about -- can't I just deal?? What does that mean!?!?!?

Anyway, somebody who cannot search is a goofball. It's that simple.

BTW, congrats on your TreoCentral membership. I've been hovering around here since the 300 days and I'm sick of seeing the same stuff written over and over again. I have to sift for a hefty amount of time to find anything valuable.

Just outta curiousity, what's an example of you not wanting to search in order to get "fresh ideas"? Like, how do you convert DVDs to your Palm?? There's numerous methods, but if there were a Wiki section...you'd have one page on DVD with ALL the methods and no bullship included. Makes a lot more sense to me than searching through hundreds of threads on DVD that are mostly fulla crap. I'm sure there are some areas where "fresh ideas" are a must, and THAT is the true purpose of the Discussion section, not repetition!!!

I'd be willing to bet that a wiki section could possibly be the hottest thing around this domain since Shadowmite!
    What the hell are you talking about -- can't I just deal?? What does that mean!?!?!?

Anyway, somebody who cannot search is a goofball. It's that simple.

BTW, congrats on your TreoCentral membership. I've been hovering around here since the 300 days and I'm sick of seeing the same stuff written over and over again. I have to sift for a hefty amount of time to find anything valuable.

Just outta curiousity, what's an example of you not wanting to search in order to get "fresh ideas"? Like, how do you convert DVDs to your Palm?? There's numerous methods, but if there were a Wiki section...you'd have one page on DVD with ALL the methods and no bullship included. Makes a lot more sense to me than searching through hundreds of threads on DVD that are mostly fulla crap. I'm sure there are some areas where "fresh ideas" are a must, and THAT is the true purpose of the Discussion section, not repetition!!!

I'd be willing to bet that a wiki section could possibly be the hottest thing around this domain since Shadowmite!
    well I guess we should all just take a step back and let you run things. What's "crap" to you may be worthwhile to someone else, can you deal with that or will you post again, thereby being repetitive.
    And these are the Day's of our Treo's <<insert cheezy theme here>>
    gotta admit, that's a good one!
    If people learned how to search, there's be no need for any special sections. Let's face it, it's not rocket science, but many people just won't learn or use the search feature.
    Sometimes I find the search feature is not all that handy. Some of my searches bring up multiple threads, some with 300+ posts each. So after a handy search I still have to wade through ? 500+ posts to get some answers. I find it is easier sometimes to google search this site rather than to use the built in search feature. Would be nice if it would search by specific posts rather than just giving you a thread with a bucket of posts. But, maybe I am just not using it correctly.
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do beleive that there is another site that has a Wiki for the 600 and 650 now too.
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    well I guess we should all just take a step back and let you run things. What's "crap" to you may be worthwhile to someone else, can you deal with that or will you post again, thereby being repetitive.
    I'm going to continue posting on "unprobed" topics like I said...this would be unprobed as far as I know. I'm not asking for permission to run stuff, I'm suggesting an idea. And my idea of crap is the same as everybody elses....it's that "crap" that you see on every single thread...the uninformative conversations that go on between people, when i'm only looking for info on my phone. ONCE AGAIN, I'M NOT SAYING THAT THE DISCUSSION SECTION IS IRRELEVANT...IT'S JUST AS NECESSARY IF NOT MORE THAN THE WIKI...BUT TOGETHER, THEY COULD BE SO MUCH BETTER. Yin Yang stuff.

Thanks 100th, I didn't notice that mytreo.net had a wiki section. This is the only Treo site that I stop at almost daily, and I'm sure that's what it's like for the majority of Treo users. This is why their wiki section sucks -- they don't have the consumer base that TC has....

Anyway, if you guys don't think it'd be useful, then keep on posting and searching in the wrong places!!!

I think I'm about to head over to mytreo.net.

Peace out.
    An additional advantage of a wiki section is the very fact that people repeatedly post the same issue makes it hard to search; if moderators put the best threads in the wiki and killed the repetitive queries, searches would also be more efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do beleive that there is another site that has a Wiki for the 600 and 650 now too.
    After a quick google, looks like MTDN has a Wikified FAQ

http://mytreo.net/treo650faq/Treo650FaqHome