Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey Everyone,

Been on here for a long time, and I point a lot of friends and assocaites here to see if the Treo is right for them. Whether we like it or not, a lot of people dont have the experitese to tinker the Treo just to them and they come here for help. Imagine if they called Sprint or went in to Best Buy everytime they wanted to softreset or reorganize the book marks. I am a realist and realize that a lot of people ask questions before thinking about them at all or doing a search. But really, lets try to lighten up in here a little bit. This should not be a elite community. This should be a community where we help one another and help a product that is buggy and always will be take off and be even more useable and widely accepted than it is. I realize that the majority of my friends and family call me when they have tech questions about what to buy or how to fix something, and I take pride in that and make sure that I dont patronize them for not knowing everything about something that is MY hobby. I am not pointing fingers or saying that people should not take self responsibilty in some issues. I am just saying that the small percentage of people here that make others unwelcome should really remember that there was a time that someone had to be patient with them and teach them about their new tech.

Thanks everyone and I hope that this message gets across.

Andrew
    This isn't church group...It's an online forum. I'm guilty of being too sarcastic sometimes, and I get it right back. I also believe I contribute my fair share as well. I think the skill of "rolling with punches" applies here.
    This is a universal human condition. Amazing how you see it in almost every club and organization...the hey i paid my dues, its my turn to feel superior to you attitude. To
    a lot of people the golden rule means I feel golden when I make you feel like crap....

I've really appreciated the kind responses to a couple newbie questions that I've thrown out there. The others don't get me down at all. We absolutely need to bring back more civility to our world.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewp75
    I am just saying that the small percentage of people here that make others unwelcome should really remember that there was a time that someone had to be patient with them and teach them about their new tech.

Andrew
    Yeah, especially that Dutch bugler guy!!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by robangel
    ...We absolutely need to bring back more civility to our world.
    Too true. This is especially important when we communicate only in writing. One cannot get any of the normal non-verbal cues that are present in person, so we should be extra careful.

Sure, we all slip-up from time to time, so a certain amount of "rolling with the punches" is required as well.

Let's just all try and do our best and avoid the smart-aleck (is that spelled right?) responses, okay?
    Internet anonymity disallows civility on public forii without heavy moderation.

Public forums will always have a Ralph, Jack and a Piggy. And hopefully pics of naked girls.

Most people who have Treos I believe would have some internet experience and should therefore be a little thick skinned when it comes to forum characters. The ones who get turned off by the member's behavior will just have to go back to pondering how to fix that blinking clock on their VCRs.

Phone safe
    Blah blah, alot of the folks are getting angry because new folks who are too lazy to use the search feature post the same topics over and over saturating the forum with garbage issues that have been addressed 50 times daily. It's not an issue of being unfriendly, it's an issue of classic luser pet tricks and someone wanting to be spoon-fed the answer. We see these people all the time, they are too freaking lazy to RTFM and would rather have someone hand-hold them. They are lemmings.

The world isn't a foam-padded happy place, people get angry or pissed, life goes on. Get the information you need without complaining about not being molly-coddled.

The world doesn't lack civility, it lacks people who aren't pussified. Bring back the times where someone got a nice punch in the face for being an asshat, not the "Well they had a hard life because their parents beat their **** when they acted up instead of rewarding their misbehavior with ice cream". Lets not create some garbage politically correct forum with a bunch of pussified rules, that's what the Democrats are for.
  8.    #8  
    I know this is not a church group and I am not saying bow down to every uneducated question out there. All I am saying is that if someone goes through the trobule of posting here, and they are new to the community or to advanced tech in general, then cut them a little slack. They are looking for answers and not flames....This is not a debate...just a polite discussion...and trust me...I am not always the most polite of people in the everyday world....I am as guilty of sarcasm as anyone on a day to day basis...and this is not about hurting peoples feelings....this is about making a community that is accessable to everyone so that a high concept tech toy will be able to be as mainstream one day as a cordless home phone....I mean even my 85 year old grandma now knows how to use her voicemail...hit flash...and use the speed dial...how cool would it be if one day we could say that about the Treo and its functions....that most people could figure it all out....well it is the experts here who profliferate that...so for all of you who help generously and without merit...thank you...and for those of you who feel it is those who dont have the expertise who should be honored that you are helping them...I am sure they are greatful people...But lets use this a resource...not as a bully pulpit.....I came here to learn, and because people were patient with me and thourough...I know how to make the most of my Treo...and I can pass that on to others....If I was scared away...I can almost guarnatee you that the Treo would have frustrated me to the point that I would have returned it....for good....and I think that is the last thing that this board wants or needs.....I am not preaching nor do I...I just think that being a little nicer to noobies can really help the spread of technology....

Andrew
    I'd prefer to keep the Treo 650's away from the idiots, not handing them out like suckers at a retard convention. This forum is a great resource for people that are willing to gather the information to fix their Treo, the last thing I would want to read is a bunch of Type-A personality sales reps coming in here wanting hands-on support for a device they don't understand.
    I must admit the lack of searching does deive me bonkers.

Can I listen to mp3's through my BT headset?

what is the blinking star in the top corner?

how do I type an underscore?

does the SM patch work with gsm phones?

how is the sound quality on your scala 500?

how do I do a hard reset?

on and on....

I get at least two emails a day from someone wanting the sound patch.

I know there's a learning curve and I still need help here often....but SEARCH FIRST!!! If you don't be ready for someone from the "peanut gallery" to nail you. (me )
    I know this is not a church group and I am not saying bow down to every uneducated question out there. All I am saying is that if someone goes through the trobule of posting here, and they are new to the community or to advanced tech in general, then cut them a little slack. They are looking for answers and not flames....This is not a debate...just a polite discussion...and trust me...I am not always the most polite of people in the everyday world....I am as guilty of sarcasm as anyone on a day to day basis...and this is not about hurting peoples feelings....this is about making a community that is accessable to everyone so that a high concept tech toy will be able to be as mainstream one day as a cordless home phone....I mean even my 85 year old grandma now knows how to use her voicemail...hit flash...and use the speed dial...how cool would it be if one day we could say that about the Treo and its functions....that most people could figure it all out....well it is the experts here who profliferate that...so for all of you who help generously and without merit...thank you...and for those of you who feel it is those who dont have the expertise who should be honored that you are helping them...I am sure they are greatful people...But lets use this a resource...not as a bully pulpit.....I came here to learn, and because people were patient with me and thourough...I know how to make the most of my Treo...and I can pass that on to others....If I was scared away...I can almost guarnatee you that the Treo would have frustrated me to the point that I would have returned it....for good....and I think that is the last thing that this board wants or needs.....I am not preaching nor do I...I just think that being a little nicer to noobies can really help the spread of technology....

Andrew

Dude you ever heard of paragraphs? Your posts are annoying to read just because of their format.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Woof, watch out, you're not being "civil"...

Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    Woof, watch out, you're not being "civil"...

Great now I am gonna be up all night feeling bad about it
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    how about, should i buy a Treo 650? Geez.

RFTM is old hat to me. I really think there's only a few jerks on this board, but there are a lot of over-sensitive message board virgins. I even had someone PM me to tell me I was rude and to remove my comment. Ironically, he misread it and I was complimenting his thread. I was nice about it.

I can appreciate some people not being as tech savvy as everyone else, but perhaps there should be a disclaimer for people to look for answers by doing searches before they join the board. that way there's some kind of concession to the 'hand slap' these newbs feel when someone asks them to do their own research. Some people are even nice enough to provide links to this research.

As a Mac user, I'm used to helping myself, and find most long time Mac users to be fairly self-sufficient. And I'm all about helping people that are new to the Mac, but geez, when they ask stuff that is on Apple's web page (like what phones work with iSync, etc.) it's clear they haven't tried to help themselves first, and I just don't have the energy to be their waiter. This brings up a valid point. I used to be in IT, and I'm sure that plenty of bleeding edge tech friendly people on this board still are. Once you get paid for this kind of stuff, babysitting someone else is undesireable to say the least.

btw. nice avatar, evilghost
    Hey Everyone,

Been on here for a long time, and I point a lot of friends and assocaites here to see if the Treo is right for them. Whether we like it or not, a lot of people dont have the experitese to tinker the Treo just to them and they come here for help. Imagine if they called Sprint or went in to Best Buy everytime they wanted to softreset or reorganize the book marks. I am a realist and realize that a lot of people ask questions before thinking about them at all or doing a search. But really, lets try to lighten up in here a little bit. This should not be a elite community. This should be a community where we help one another and help a product that is buggy and always will be take off and be even more useable and widely accepted than it is. I realize that the majority of my friends and family call me when they have tech questions about what to buy or how to fix something, and I take pride in that and make sure that I dont patronize them for not knowing everything about something that is MY hobby. I am not pointing fingers or saying that people should not take self responsibilty in some issues. I am just saying that the small percentage of people here that make others unwelcome should really remember that there was a time that someone had to be patient with them and teach them about their new tech.

Andrew

None of the regs of TC that I know have a problem with new users, unless they do nothing to help themselves, spam, and in particular don't RTFM !
    atnight, thanks

I think the tech saavy folks that are supporting/developing applications for the Treo don't have the time or desire to spoonfed folks. I'm an IT dude and get paid to babysit. I don't mind helping folks that know how to ask a valid question, or, spend time researching it before defaulting to [NEW Topic]. This thread itself is poo poo.

People who post questions like this one should not even own a Treo 650, or any piece of complex technology. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=78703

I'd like to take his Treo 650 and stomp on it.
    What about the where can I find the ROM patches for the Treo 650 posts? hehehe... Anyway, I don't think there is anything wrong in showing some character here. This is where Treo users hang and if a new user comes in with stupid questions then let them learn from what they read.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    None of the regs of TC that I know have a problem with new users, unless they do nothing to help themselves, spam, and in particular don't RTFM !
    Well said. Now, can anyone tell me how to run programs off my card?

Oh, and let me tell ya how to get a free iPod!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Hey Andrewpp, did you search before posting? JK....
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Well said. Now, can anyone tell me how to run programs off my card?

Oh, and let me tell ya how to get a free iPod!
    I'm holding out for the FREE iPod Photo edition !
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast