Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 77 of 77
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    I can attest that some Rednecks get some fine **s!
    I'll second that. I married a redneck too and my wife is a hottie.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    Blah blah, alot of the folks are getting angry because new folks who are too lazy to use the search feature post the same topics over and over saturating the forum with garbage issues that have been addressed 50 times daily.
    I also hate wading through lots of similar topics to find a new subject of interest. But, I've tried to use the search feature a couple of times and have run into hurdles due to subject titles, misspellings, off topic directions, etc... So I can understand when people mention problems searching for a specific issue. My policy in other forums is that if I know this subject already has a string somewhere, is to just post the link. That helps keep topcis centralized as well as remind people to attempt to use the search engine. Plus even if I don't have the answer, I was able to provide some help. There isn't anything as frustrating as not getting any responses to a posted question.
    -CD-
  3. #63  
    I say "Fixing to", "Ya'll", "Yonder", and all the Southern sayings. Love 'em. Love the South.

    I hated DC, too many criminals and deviants.. Of course, Atlanta is the "Dirth South" or so the rappers keep telling me.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Sorry to hear your livin' in the armpit of the US..
    As you can see on my "location" line, I'm sorry about it too.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    As you can see on my "location" line, I'm sorry about it too.
    Windy City misses ya !
  6. #66  
    I think a key issue here is that the seach facility of the software package used to run this site is not that great by today's standards. People (including myself) are now used to pretty accurate searches by google. Searching on TC is frustrating at best. I use it myself, but I often have to wade through many useless posts or pages of posts to find what I need.

    If a newcomer uses search they may well conclude that there is nothing relevant by looking at the first few results from the search, which would be accurate if this were a google search.

    It would be GREAt if TC employed google search technology, which is quite possible today. I think this would do to it what google did to the web, which was phenomenal.
  7. #67  
    Thanks dlbrummels! I'm from the western suburbs too! You're making me homesick...

    Couldn't the Mods delete the threads with no responses or only sarcastic references to searching? I've had to weed through many empty threads to find useful ones when using the TC search. I have also used Google to bring up fstwe links to TC subjects, so it has been helpful.

    Evil...where, exactly, is yonder???
  8. #68  
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by atnight
    i still think someone who gets 'scared away' and or can't do a search or explain their problem in reasonable detail is exactly the type that needs to log time on the phone with Palm0ne and get all the hand-holding they need from one place.
    Are you saying I don't know HOW to search??? Them's fightin' words! (Oh no, it really IS contagious!) Seriously, I literally try dozens of word combos. This a.m. I tried to search for a thread on whether anyone had successfully drilled a reset hole into their battery cover...2 relating, unhelpful threads. Maybe 16 completely unrelated. I used at least 10 different word combinations.
  10. dvdmon's Avatar
    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    #70  
    I don't think having a sticky will do anything. I think you have to bat people over the head to get it through to some that they need to at least try to research things themselves before they post something that will require others to spend their time helping them. Well, not require, but encourage. It is very annoying, but on the other hand, it's easy to skip them, and itís also very easy for us to forget how this environment may be so new to some people that asking certain questions canít be considered stupid, just uninformed. I figure as idiotic as some of these questions seem when they can be answered by a simple search either here or on Google itself (which indexes threads here by the way), it is equally silly to spend your time complaining about such things. It's not going to do anything except to get something off your chest momentarily. There are ALWAYS going to be newbies. Maybe in 80 years when everyone alive has grown up with the Internet, everyone will pretty much "get it." Then again, stupidity and laziness will always be around. You can choose to let it bug you and write nasty responses, or you can patiently encourage the newbie to do this research for themselves so that they can later write nasty responses to newbies in the future. Remember, folks, what you are complaining about, at least partly, in the newbie who posts without searching, is impatience. Isnít it then hypocritical to turn around and display your own by not simply suggesting politely to search? In the end, itís all about attitude. Are you more concerned with people bugging you who may not know the netiquette, or are you more about actually helping those people to LEARN how to be good members in your community? You never know, they may end up becoming very valuable assets in the future, but you would never know if you Ďre so angry that they didnít do the right thing from the minute they logged on that you have to alienate them by pissing them offÖ
    Twitter: @dvdmon

  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Well, I guess they do now...
    Awwww, I LOVE Chicago boys!!!
  12. #72  
    moving thread to tc.com since it seems to be more and more straying away from treo 650 hardware..
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    Are you saying I don't know HOW to search??? Them's fightin' words! (Oh no, it really IS contagious!) Seriously, I literally try dozens of word combos. This a.m. I tried to search for a thread on whether anyone had successfully drilled a reset hole into their battery cover...2 relating, unhelpful threads. Maybe 16 completely unrelated. I used at least 10 different word combinations.
    perhaps you are being sarcastic? my comment was definitely just a general one and not directed personally. of course, if it resembles you, so be it.

    seriously though, if you do a thorough search for your issues and come up with nothing, certainly post it, but word it well! explain the parameters in detail, and someone should probably help
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    Awwww, I LOVE Chicago boys!!!
    We all thank you, and want you back !
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by atnight
    perhaps you are being sarcastic? my comment was definitely just a general one and not directed personally. of course, if it resembles you, so be it.

    seriously though, if you do a thorough search for your issues and come up with nothing, certainly post it, but word it well! explain the parameters in detail, and someone should probably help
    Nope, not sarcastic, completely in fun. I just wanted to let the techies know that some of us do TRY to do extensive searches only to come up empty. Sometimes spelling and lack of typing accuracy compound the problem.

    Getting back to the original point of the thread...awhile ago I posted something that had apparently been done to death. Someone replied, telling me to search, but in a way that I took as sweet. It actually made me smile and did not make me feel stupid. We're just asking for constructive direction, not sarcasm.

    dlbrummel...Now I have to come home!
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    Lets not create some garbage politically correct forum with a bunch of pussified rules, that's what the Democrats are for.
    Hee hee hee!

  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    Nope, not sarcastic, completely in fun. I just wanted to let the techies know that some of us do TRY to do extensive searches only to come up empty. Sometimes spelling and lack of typing accuracy compound the problem.

    Getting back to the original point of the thread...awhile ago I posted something that had apparently been done to death. Someone replied, telling me to search, but in a way that I took as sweet. It actually made me smile and did not make me feel stupid. We're just asking for constructive direction, not sarcasm.

    dlbrummel...Now I have to come home!
    We're waiting for you
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions