Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Petition is up and running on treo650update.com and all considered, has had some decent traffic.

We want to know if TreoCentral considers this petition site competition.

Is this open to discussion?

Well, if anyone wants changes in the Treo 650.. the petition is there for the signing.

If you haven't seen the site in awhile, please take a look and give me some feedback.

Thanks

Hank Dean
    Key West, FL
    "the artist formerly known as tundycentral"
    At what point were you banned?
    ...because you broke the interweb
    Quote Originally Posted by questionformods
    "the artist formerly known as tundycentral"
    As far as I can tell, that user account has NOT been banned and is still active.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    As far as I can tell, that user account has NOT been banned and is still active.
    and the plot thickens
    Tundy wants to know why TreoCentral Admin has banned his account at this late date.
    I would ban him just for posting in the third person.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Hey buddy....in the cons....

The calculator does not perform ‘real-world’ every day calculations properly. Example: 10 + 8% = 10.8, but not according to the Treo 650!
    10 + 8% would equal 10.08, not 10.8 It would assume you mean 8% of 1....

And again, you ought to change the contact email to something like webmaster@ or contactus@
    I've long ago dismissed turdy as a net.kook, but this calculator behavior is rather odd.

Traditionally, when you enter "X + Y % =" in any calculator you should get (X * Y / 100) after you press "%" and end up with (X + (X * Y / 100)) after you press "="

But the treo calculator seems to be giving you ((X + Y) / 100) after the "%" with no change after the "=".

For instance, "50 + 5 % =":

You should see "2.5" after your press the "%" key and "52.5" after you press the "=" key.

But in the treo calculator, you get a ".55" after you press the "%" and there's no change when you press the "=".

Not only is that a complete disconnect from traditional calculator behavior, it's also not particularly useful.

That being said, I'm still very satisfied with my 650. Count me in the 80%
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Oh, and this should have been posted in the TreoCentral.com forum...

Dutch??? Are you asleep at the wheel?

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    been a long day...I'm neglected my duties as the treocentral nag extrardinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I would ban him just for posting in the third person.
    Plural, even:
    Quote Originally Posted by questionformods
    We want to know if TreoCentral considers this petition site competition.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Hmmmm....Sybil???

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    I'm confused, has Tundy been banned or not?
    Hey Guys,

Man, that was really strange... evidently I'm still in.

Thanks MarkEagle & Dutch... I felt that creating a 2nd ID was the only way to find out what was going on... turns out it was a decent idea... I'll delete that handle now.

And thank you mods for understanding and allowing me to create the petition site.
    Please let me know what kind of reciprocal link(s) you would like me to post on "treo650update" back to treocentral, besides the posts... In other words, how would you like to be represented/referred to, if at all.

I was completely unable to log in earlier, vBulletin was saying I no longer had privilideges to post etc... weird. I knew it didn't make a lot of sense at this late date, being that I've mellowed and all
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral
    Hey Guys,

Man, that was really strange... evidently I'm still in.

Thanks MarkEagle & Dutch... I felt that creating a 2nd ID was the only way to find out what was going on... turns out it was a decent idea... I'll delete that handle now.

And thank you mods for understanding and allowing me to create the petition site.
    Please let me know what kind of reciprocal link(s) you would like me to post on "treo650update" back to treocentral, besides the posts... In other words, how would you like to be represented/referred to, if at all.

I was completely unable to log in earlier, vBulletin was saying I no longer had privilideges to post etc... weird. I knew it didn't make a lot of sense at this late date, being that I've mellowed and all
    and of course... we are all only too happy to know you are still around...??..

I must agree however that we are not amused that ye are choosing to talk about oneself in the third person, or agast, as a plurality!...

Cease immediately, or we(collective) shall be forced to banish thee to olde english hell (which I think means bad theatre...or PBS)....

I miss the old days of offing one's head when they're annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhas
    and of course... we are all only too happy to know you are still around...??..

I must agree however that we are not amused that ye are choosing to talk about oneself in the third person, or agast, as a plurality!...

Cease immediately, or we(collective) shall be forced to banish thee to olde english hell (which I think means bad theatre...or PBS)....

I miss the old days of offing one's head when they're annoying.
    Geatches concurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Geatches concurs.
    Then it is agreed, Trundy will sacrifice his head forthwith.

Trundy, present thine head for our amusement. We shall use it as a example to all other high and mighty third personites who with heads of their own would be staring at us from down thine own nose.

We shall have a celebration for said head, perhaps providing a feast of which only we (collective again) shall be able to participate (your heads gone remember!). We shall follow with games and frivolity not excluding a small game of rugby or polo with the heathen head for a public display of enjoyment.

All in favor say AYE!!!!
    Posting in the third person... not too cool... let's just hope he doesn't start a conversation with his alterego self... ;-)

Sorry Tundy... couldn't resist throwing some fuel on these flames
  19.    #19  
    LOL... u guys are priceless... lol
    In a pure "math" sense, there is no way to complete the 50 + 5% equation as it has an argument missing....5% of what ? In this truest "pure math" sense, the absence of an argument results in the assumption of 1 and therefore, again, in a strict "rules of math" sense, as an engineer, the answer I would expect is 50.05 Engineers tend to be anal about math as when we make mistakes buildings and bridges fall down <g>.

However, the "rules of math" vary by profession as each profession has developed shortcuts on how they do things so the rules of math don't necessarily carry from trade to trade.

In finance, we "assume" the default scenario and immediately assume it's a tax, earnings or interest thing and so the rules for a "financial calculator " may "assume that you mean a particular number plus 5 % of the same original number. 50 + 5% is simply a store clerk's shortcut for 50 + 5% of 50. Use the options menu on the Treo and set it to "financial" and 50+5% = 50.25 but 50 + 5 %50 gets you the 52.5 answer you financial types were expecting.

In engineeering / science that won't apply as the default or most common scenario is not x + 5 % of x.

Using options again to switch to the true "math" option and we find that it doesn't have a % button .... but 50 +5*.01 gets you the "true science / engineering math" answer of 50.05 Note that the calculator correctly assumes the true heirarchal math rules and holds off doing plus / minus operations until after all times / divided by operations have been completed. Using one of the calculator approved for the PE exam, (TI30XIIS) I also get 50.05

Now as for the basic calculator this is a very simple calculator with a different, simple set of rules. Think of it as 4th grade math where everything gets done one step at a time....no shortcuts. Each key press completes all pending operations. When you hit 50 + 5, it's already "done the math" and it's already "holding" 55, hit any other operation and before you hit a number you will see 55 on the screen. At that point, hitting the % key, under this set of rules, it correctly divides the 55 by 100.

This whole discussion is therefore attributabe to "user error". You wanna do real math, select the "math" option under the advanced selection. You wanna do financial calcs, select the financial option under the advanced selection and use the whole equation. You wanna do 4th grade math, select the Basic option.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 03/17/2005 at 11:48 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast