Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1.    #1  
    Why aren't you guys diversifying more? Since the release of the 650, it's clear that many of us are either considering another OS or have already switched. It's also clear that, both fence-sitters and the switchers LOVE THIS BOARD. People who dumped their Treos and will never look back still come to this site to exchange info with other converts.

    Why not broaden your scope to include all PDA phones? It wouldn't take much. Mostly, you'd just need to add news stories about other phones and create more forums for them. That's a snap.

    The site's name is the hardest part, but you'll eventually have to change that any way--I guarantee it. Just ask ClieSource or VisorCentral. If you're going to build a brand, it's better to build a broader one now than be forced to change the narrow one later.

    If I haven't made my case here or my arguments turned you off, then at least accept this please: many of us want to leave Palm, but we DO NOT want to leave you or the relationships we made on this board.
  2. gacajun's Avatar
    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    #2  
    Amen!!!
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
  3. #3  
    Since I am a former Treo 600 user and now a PPC-660x owner for 3 months or so.......I guess the fact that I am here reading this thread and posting to it (let alone that I have been more active here at TC since I started to consider jumping sides and eventually did switch) is evidence to support that arguement.
  4. #4  
    I also find TreoCentral to be the best place to find answers and exchange ideas. But as the name implies it was created for Treo users. I used other forums, but I prefer this because:

    - Threads are organized and tell you how many pages each thread is so you can go to the last page if you've been following a certain thread.

    - Users are very knowledgeable, helpful, and never snotty (i.e. I've been here longer than you. S you don't know anything)

    Hell, we even tolerate many "Treo Killer" posts here. That is true confidence for ya.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTreo
    Just ask ClieSource or VisorCentral.
    I assume you're saying that tounge-in-cheek, seeing as visorcentral changed their name to treocentral.
  6. #6  
    Agreed
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTreo
    Why not broaden your scope to include all PDA phones? It wouldn't take much. Mostly, you'd just need to add news stories about other phones and create more forums for them. That's a snap.
    If this meant it was just like it is now but with some non-Treo bits added I'd be all for it, but if the focus changes to include all smart phones I'm worried that this would become just another handheld/phone site, with little to distinguish it from several others. The great thing about TC is that it has a distinct identity and it is the place to come and talk about Treos and find Treo-related expertise. If it becomes just another generalist site then why come here to talk Treo when the site's really not much different from others that are also just a click away? I'm sure for a while, in your scenario, our beloved site would maintain it's Treo focus but I can't help thinking this would erode with time until Treo chat and expertise were diluted here and spread around the web. From my point of view (even as someone who certainly doesn't regard himself as wedded to the Treo or Palm OS for eternity), this would be a real shame.

    FWIW, I think the name was one of the main factors in establishing the identity of TC and if it goes the identity might begin to go with it. Keep both, I say!
  8. Swap's Avatar
    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I guess the fact that I am here reading this thread and posting to it (let alone that I have been more active here at TC since I started to consider jumping sides and eventually did switch) is evidence to support that arguement.
    Ditto.


    Didn't the Kyocera smartphone forums (my memory is shot.. I was active there, and forgot the name already...) merge into pdaphonehome?
  9. jlczl's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    #9  
    I agree with MarkC. It works well as is, IMHO .
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

    Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers
    I assume you're saying that tounge-in-cheek, seeing as visorcentral changed their name to treocentral.
    Slight correction:
    visorcentral is still there, just a bit of a ghost town..
    Things like off topic are shared between the 2 forums though..

    I agree with MarkC that part of the succes is the identity of the site.
    Maybe Marcus and James could start a PPC660xCentral.com (sound nasty btw) too and share parts of the forum/site.
    However that would mean heaps more work for them, not sure if they can handle the extra workload..
    But who knows...

    Off course another big part of the succes are the users, yes you guys..
    A community is only as good as its members.. not sure if you would get the same with PPC-660x-users.. (not saying they are bad people off course, just different)
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  11. #11  
    Here are some technical options that might help to solve all suggestions while increasingn the community here at TC

    I have worked with some corps with their websites that offered different product lines and wanted to reduce the time of investment while providing individual support for each product line.

    TC could expand it's reviews to include other phone options.

    Expand the forums to include a PocketPC PDA Phone general area. With forum topics like PPC660x/SX66/VZ6600, Software Development, General OS, a couple other general manufactuer forums (like Samsung, HP, Hitachi, etc..), and Other PPC Phones.

    Then set up a domain name like PocketPCcentral.com. That would direct (automatically forward) them here....but when the site sees they have been redirected from the other domain the logos now show as PocketPCcentral.com. Everything else would be the same. Not much more work on a ongoing basis for the owners of the site. Increases the sales of accessories and phones here at TC to include PPC users.

    This then also maintains the TreoCentral identity and Treo users may never notice much difference (except for additional reviews of other phones). Since all of the Pocket PC forums are in it's own individual section, the Treo users are not effected by additional forums to read through, as they are all in another section and forums. I seriously doubt that any PocketPC user would jump over to a 650 forum if they don't own one or have in the pass. Plus it adds an addition identity to secure the future of TC by meeting the needs of the complete other half of the market.

    There is a strong and friendly PPC community out there....and I have seen that many of them are still trying to find a place to feel at home enough to hang out. I feel that TC (aka PocketPCcentral) could provide that home with great success and with little adverse affects on the current strong Treo community.

    Just some of my ramblings.....
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/18/2005 at 12:02 PM.
  12. hall316's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    #12  
    gee I have a mazda 6 and I'm a member of a forum for the car on a different site. Could you guys just start a mazda 6 forum on here since I spend all day here?

    Come on people, you can't have everything.
  13. #13  
    I think it is too general right now, I have to sift through different carriers. I would like it to become more narrowly defined like
    Treocentral GSM

    Kidding aside I think that there are many fine phones out there right now. But, I am sticking to Treo for now. I like reading about them in the other phone threads.

    I like the fact that i don't have to sift through too much, non related topics, if we add other phones it will be chaos and lose identity. Isn't there a SX666601.......central?

    maybe if there was a way to exclude topics from view.
  14. hall316's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    #14  
    I just hit the new posts button when I log on and go through the topics.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    Maybe Marcus and James could start a PPC660xCentral.com (sound nasty btw)
    Hmm...

    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    With forum topics like PPC660x/SX66/VZ6600
    ...that's a lot of sixes...

    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Isn't there a SX666601.......central?.
    ...almost there. How about:

    666central.com

    Just kidding!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by hall316
    I just hit the new posts button when I log on and go through the topics.
    I do too, but we already have to sift through all the right-wing nut-jobs and the liberal wieners, and the already present my phone is better than yours, The games, the stories, the daily "my sound quality is horrible than yours", the my earpiece sucks less than yours and the my automobile connects to bluetooth less crumy than yours. The this phone is a piece of junk, or its the best phone evers. I don't want to add a bunch of the same topics for 20 other phones, we will never find anything.
  17. #17  
    I wonder if there is a setting that can be added in our profile so we can select what forums to include in the lates post list. I think that would be a great asset to have now.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Here are some technical options that might help to solve all suggestions while increasingn the community here at TC

    I have worked with some corps with their websites that offered different product lines and wanted to reduce the time of investment while providing individual support for each product line.

    TC could expand it's reviews to include other phone options.

    Expand the forums to include a PocketPC PDA Phone general area. With forum topics like PPC660x/SX66/VZ6600, Software Development, General OS, a couple other general manufactuer forums (like Samsung, HP, Hitachi, etc..), and Other PPC Phones.

    Then set up a domain name like PocketPCcentral.com. That would direct (automatically forward) them here....but when the site sees they have been redirected from the other domain the logos now show as PocketPCcentral.com. Everything else would be the same. Not much more work on a ongoing basis for the owners of the site. Increases the sales of accessories and phones here at TC to include PPC users.

    This then also maintains the TreoCentral identity and Treo users may never notice much difference (except for additional reviews of other phones). Since all of the Pocket PC forums are in it's own individual section, the Treo users are not effected by additional forums to read through, as they are all in another section and forums. I seriously doubt that any PocketPC user would jump over to a 650 forum if they don't own one or have in the pass. Plus it adds an addition identity to secure the future of TC by meeting the needs of the complete other half of the market.

    There is a strong and friendly PPC community out there....and I have seen that many of them are still trying to find a place to feel at home enough to hang out. I feel that TC (aka PocketPCcentral) could provide that home with great success and with little adverse affects on the current strong Treo community.

    Just some of my ramblings.....
    There are so many ways to do this, most of them are really easy. All it takes is the will. TC seems to have made the decision to stick with a focus on the Treo. Man, I wish they'd reconsider. This really is a great group of people and a well-organized board.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers
    I assume you're saying that tounge-in-cheek, seeing as visorcentral changed their name to treocentral.
    Yup. This time there should be a change waaaaay before it's necessary.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    Slight correction:
    visorcentral is still there, just a bit of a ghost town..
    Things like off topic are shared between the 2 forums though..

    I agree with MarkC that part of the succes is the identity of the site.
    Maybe Marcus and James could start a PPC660xCentral.com (sound nasty btw) too and share parts of the forum/site.
    However that would mean heaps more work for them, not sure if they can handle the extra workload..
    But who knows...

    Off course another big part of the succes are the users, yes you guys..
    A community is only as good as its members.. not sure if you would get the same with PPC-660x-users.. (not saying they are bad people off course, just different)
    1) Don't limit it to 660x. We need one site that's made for ALL smart phones. (Think Howard Forums, but much more organized.)

    2) Adding coverage of more phones might take more work, but it will add revenue too. The more forums you have, the more opportunities there are for others to link to you--which results in a higher Google placement and more traffic from them. Also, covering more phones will allow you to sell more phones and supplies. Finally, covering more phones gives you more credibility.

    When people hear that you guys think the T650 is a good phone, overall--the common reaction is, "Of course they do, and pet Web sites think that dog poo is cute." That's an unfair reaction. Nevertheless, your reviews don't have the same weight as newcomers engadget.com or phonescoop.com.

    Anyway, I love this site, so that's why I'm saying this. It's also why I won't go any further. I don't want to appear to rag on you guys.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions