Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    BTW, Hobbes, I love your posts. Glad you're still here.
    Whether or not TC expands to cover all smartphones is not my decision (thankfully). However, I think it's important to remember that one of the main reasons TC works so well is because we are Treo-centric. The people here know and use Treo's. All the information, reviews, how-to advice, and yes, even the complaints are all about the Treo. It's very focused.

The problem I have personally with expansion like you suggest is one of logistics. The moderating and editorial staff can barely keep up now. Adding more areas of interest means more users means more moderating responsibilities. Then there's the editorial content... one of the biggest, most often repeated complaints we get is the fact that the homepage goes stale.

There's just no way we could expand AND still retain the "community' feel we've all come to love IMHO. It would likely end up being "just another smartphone site"...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Thanks for your feedback. If there was an "expansion," I'd imagine it would be in the form of an additional site with brand new site/forums. I like the focus that TreoCentral gives users, and I would want the same level of focus for a site that catered to other smartphones. I've discussed this option before with Marcus, but it would take some effort and certain things would have to be in place to make it feasible (both financially and editorially).

For now, I will say that I will bring up this topic again with him, and we'll see what the future brings.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Whether or not TC expands to cover all smartphones is not my decision (thankfully). However, I think it's important to remember that one of the main reasons TC works so well is because we are Treo-centric. The people here know and use Treo's. All the information, reviews, how-to advice, and yes, even the complaints are all about the Treo. It's very focused.....

....There's just no way we could expand AND still retain the "community' feel we've all come to love IMHO. It would likely end up being "just another smartphone site"...

Thank you, for the clear thinking. If this was just another phone site I would not waste time here like I do now. I come here because I have a treo. I have a i300 and I missed the great site for that(if there ever was one), I also have a TC, but could not find a site like this for it either. The focus makes the site. The fact that the switchers come back here says to me they should have just kept their treos.

To me it is like people here in the US who complain about being here, how bad the people, country, policies, and laws are here. After all the griping they stay, after switching phones you traitors stay. Just enjoy the site the way it is for what it is worth. There is an old saying "If it is not broke do not fix it." There is wisdom in that. If you need more do like others said and create a new site.
    I think pdaphonehome.com is a good example...they bought out the old samsung discussion boards (www.sphi300.com, sphi330.com, etc). While granted, at the same time that this happened I was moving towards the treo, I felt that the community wasn't as focused once it was part of the larger site. Not to in any way say that they aren't still a good site, I just thought they were stronger when they had a more narrow focus.
    its definitely interesting that i come to this site more for info about my ppc6601 than i do to any other site. somehow the other sites seem lame. this is a good bunch in here. i have been reading posts here for 3 months and only starting posting after i bought the 6601. anyway, i never owned a treo but i have treocentral in my favorites on my mobile and on my laptop.
    i love the mobile treocentral, by the way. nice and quick..
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTreo

Why not broaden your scope to include all PDA phones? It wouldn't take much. Mostly, you'd just need to add news stories about other phones and create more forums for them. That's a snap.

There already is a place like that...it's called:

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/portal.php

Then there is also howardforums, smartphonethoughts, modaco.com etc.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    tc is already growing too fast. take a look at the front page. News is scarce, they most likely lack the resources necessary to keep it updated.

I don't come here for news about treo anymore, its usually release elsewhere concurrently if not before (except for a few cases in the forums).

TC please don't diversify at this point, but get your treo act together, make it treo central - news, articles (need more editorials, opinions), forums, and potentially a software section (w/ links to palm gear, $) that lists all major categories (e.g., dictionaries, call filtering, bibles, etc.) for treo users where apps are rated by us and we comment about them. Call palmgear I'm sure they'd help u because you'll increase their sales.

IF u must broaden your range. hire someone from palminfocenter or someone who's willing to keep ur news up to date (daily), restore your Polls! on at least a monthly basis (i loved coming to see those), AND bring back links to easily read an article then discuss it (as linked to the article, why did u change that.

before going PPC ( I agree this would kill TC), go Palm OS to take palminfocenter's market, that's a more reachable goal that should strengthen ur sales, easy to convert other palm os users to treo (thats what P1s plan is, in fact they might appreciate it). Use ur power as THE place for treos to leverage info and exclusives out of P1, this will keep us coming back for more, before someone else does. TC is very influential to thw growth of the treo.

Other than that, great job!
    Craig, that is the best list of concise, reasonable requests that I have heard from a user. We're trying - the last 3 months we've been a man short, hopefully as i begin to pull some slack we'll fix the content. A lot of the site has fallen apart over the years (hence the 'missing' features..) that'll also be fixed in either a complete rewrite or complete overhall of the site coming up in 2005. We are growing very fast, and I see no current reason to expand. According to Alexa, we are alreqady one of the largest mobile computing websites - bigger then almost all the palm os, or pocket pc sites.. I think howard forums is one of the few who are bigger. Thanks for being here people.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    JH romadka,

before arguing ceating a mirror site for other brands. look at what happens on TC itself . . . uve got say 10 forums on TC (only one of them is REALLY active - the 650 forum). People continue to post there because that's where the action is . . . I bet a majority just go there (check TCs internal stats).

from the above I'd be willing to bet if u had a PPC or other phones site and a TC site . . . people would end up gravitating to the most popular forum of the two anyways (PPC users already comw here!). so it most likely wouldn't justify splitting their resources for nothing.

BTW make me ur official pollster - create bi-monthly (2 x's per month) polls

poll 1: TC community, how would u feel if treo central expands to include other smartphones?

1. I'd love it, the more the better!

2. Doesn't matter, i'd be OK either way.

3. Not sure, might take away something from community.

4. No way, u'd likely lose me as a TCer and destroy community.

tell us why- discussion here.

TC help focus community in discussion like this is helps to know ur members and in turn keeps us coming, reading, commenting, and growing.
    or miradu . . . call P1, tell them u are going to begin polling again (maybe on monthly basis) ask them if they'd like to influence the questions for a modest fee of course , heck let them write the questions, that's what those polling organizations do (see where they get their "support" from). although again P1 may not want other manufacturers to know the results, but they are so far ahead it shouldn't matter (look a the new HP tungsten C), and they apparently need the help ( 32 mb or ram).

one more thing (class is almost over , as the treo gets better or shortly after (2 months) its released many of ur hardcore TC member who are extremely imporant to this community disappear for a while because the treo works and they have little need to come back often.

but through news, articles/opinions, polls, etc. u can keep them involved and active in discussions about future and express their ideas about treos and smartphones in general. in the down time between treo's, problems and treokillers get old fast. remember JakE - and his article - people loved it or hated it, either way it generated hits.
    "class almost over" that could be misinterpreted . . . I am actually a student
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts
    IF u must broaden your range. hire someone from palminfocenter or someone who's willing to keep ur news up to date (daily), restore your Polls! on at least a monthly basis (i loved coming to see those), AND bring back links to easily read an article then discuss it (as linked to the article, why did u change that.

before going PPC ( I agree this would kill TC), go Palm OS to take palminfocenter's market, that's a more reachable goal that should strengthen ur sales, easy to convert other palm os users to treo (thats what P1s plan is, in fact they might appreciate it). Use ur power as THE place for treos to leverage info and exclusives out of P1, this will keep us coming back for more, before someone else does. TC is very influential to thw growth of the treo.

Other than that, great job!
    PIC and TC are completely different animals. First of all PIC traffic is almost completely news driven off it's front page. The forums there are fine but get no where near the traffic of sites like TC, brighthand etc. Furthermore, the forums are not the focus of PIC anyway. If it was, then they would have model specific forums instead of just brands. However, PIC has always been the place to get the first leaks and rumors regarding PalmOS devices from palmOne etc (except for the Treos of course which obviously break here first).

TC on the other hand is mostly forum driven. The front page article are well written IMO but I don't think most people who visit here read the front page as often as the forums. This of course is the reverse at PIC. In addition there is a distict separation between the TC store and forums which may affect things. IMO, one of the things TC may want to do to increase traffic to its front page is to link the stories to the forums. Right now there is no comment link on the stories which continue in the forums.

IMO, TC is fine as it is. It may make sense to expand beyond to other Palmos based smartphones b/c there is a commonality between them all. However I don't think it would make sense to expand into stand alone pda coverage. First of all there are already tons of sites that do that, and secondly there is just soo much more growth if you focus on smartphones. Finally, I think making a multiplatform site is a bad idea. If you look at the history of all the old sites like pdabuzz etc, you see that it never really worked. The flame fest over at pdabuzz before its demise were legendary (too bad all the old post were wiped out). In addition the brighthand forums are a mixed bag. I really don't like the forums too much except for the Tungsten T series one; however, their PPC forums are probably the best around for HP models...

Edit: I am a mod over at PIC and love both sites alot obviously. I think both sites can prosper and be successful...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 02/06/2005 at 03:48 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12